Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Basic Economics Lesson for Irish People

• 27-01-2012 8:41am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

The sum total of money I borrowed from banks during the boom = 0
    The sum total of money I now owe the banks after the boom = 0

Cheap Credit = Self-Made Slavery.

Deal with it.

and I resent having to pay to bail out the rest of you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

I don't care how much money people borrowed during the bubble years, as long as I don't have to pay it back for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Er............ we all got boats and coke and hookers and sh*t and now you're footing the bill!

Joke's on you Knock Lady!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Deal with it.

The sum total you owe despite not borrowing = 10% of your wages for the rest of your life
    The sum total of high horses = 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

What do you need money for, you can throw out an ould miracle whenever you need it.....:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

Jet Black wrote: »
    The sum total you owe despite not borrowing = 10% of your wages for the rest of your life

Which is why I am leaving this country.

Slurring "you'll never beat the Oirish..." as we are four goals down in a pub this summer is not the panacea I need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Jet Black wrote: »

Thank God for miracles. Dont let the door hit you on the way out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Slowest slow clap clap clap clap just for you!

The door is thata away lady muck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

The house of miracles must be raking in the dough for ya- gullible Irish people parting quickly with their money and all that!

Anyone for the last of the knock rock???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Don't let the door hit ya on the spot where Joseph told ya "Sure this time it'll be impossible for ya to have another little beardy fella" on the way out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Some of us borrowed and paid and are paying our debts. It wasn't my fault I had to pay over the odds to buy a home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Deal with it.

You do realise that part of what we owe now is due to the fact that our taxes were ridiculously low due in part to the fact that the economy was being funded by the property bubble?

You may not have borrowed money but you certainly benefited from the knock on effects from those that did.

Deal with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

buck65 wrote: »
    Some of us borrowed and paid and are paying our debts. It wasn't my fault I had to pay over the odds to buy a home.
    Yes it is, it was people paying way over the odds that fueled the boom.

(but fair play for paying back your debts)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I never borrowed money either, but you don't see me putting myself on a pedestal above everyone else. Are you really that blind that you can't understand that the boom wasn't a boom for everyone? My family sure as hell couldn't afford **** in the boom, so my parents took out a couple of loans to feed and clothe us. Despite the recession hitting, they have paid them off in full. Not everyone spends their loans on coke and hookers, just so you know. Poverty still existed during the boom, and some people needed money to live. It's that thing that buys housing and food and clothes, not just cocaine and alcohol.

you didn't have to buy the home

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I took out a mortgage in 2001. We took out the bare min' to build our house to a liveable standard i.e concrete floors, heating, plumbing and furniture from the Super Value stamps thingy system!
    We were offered decorating money. We declined and did it ourselves including hanging doors, skirting boards, laying floors and tiling all of which i had to learn how to do.
    We were offered money to furnish the house. We declined and made do with Super Value furniture and second hand stuff we had gathered over a few years.

We were offered money for landscaping and gardening. We declined and did it ourselves.
    We did not install a fitted kitchen until our SSIA came through despite being offered money for 'additional and unforeseen extras"
    It took us until last year to finish our house fully and even indulged in a suite of furniture not supported by planks:D
    WE are not badly off now and were not then but call it a sixth sense or intuition. Call us boring, call us sensible. Im not bothered:rolleyes:
    We are now paying off the premium of our mortgage, are able to over pay by €100 per month and should have it paid off by 2018.

Ummmmmmm. Im not sure how to end this post.... Hows about IM SMUG :P:P:P;):D:o:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

We are now paying off the premium of our mortgage, are able to over pay by €100 per month and should have it paid off by 2018.

Assuming you don't lose your job between now and then.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Deal with it.

Ohh, well aren't you a little 'goody two shoes'?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Deal with it.

Thanks for the free money, sucker!

Trololololol!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Deal with it.

I dont mind paying the bail out for the rest of you, I would have only pissed it up against the wall anyways :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Timistry

If you don't have it, don't spend it!

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Slurring "you'll never beat the Oirish..." as we are four goals down in a pub this summer is not the panacea I need.

Come on now enough of that fatalistic talk. We might get a draw against Croatia.

endabob1 wrote: »
    Assuming you don't lose your job between now and then.....

This could happen to anyone and so we took out the mortgage we did with this in mind. If either of us did lose our job then we dump the over payment and our mortgage is so low we could pay it from the dole. We also have lots of luxuries and non essentials we can dump. Was discussing this with my wife and she reckons as both of us had poorish up-bringings we never had this entitlement attitude and have an aversion to being in debt. The only borrowing our parents ever did was for absolute essentials. Going into debt for a holiday, 4x4, landscaped garden, ensuites etc is utterly alien to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

TheZohan wrote: »
    You do realise that part of what we owe now is due to the fact that our taxes were ridiculously low due in part to the fact that the economy was being funded by the property bubble?
    The taxes were fine. What is ridiculous is trying to force taxes up to get bubble level revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 lemme

Deal with it.

Is that you Christina Gallagher ?

Give my granny back her house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

The trick to it all ladies and gentlemen is, Borrow as much as you can get in debt as deep as you can dont buy a house. Credit card it all to hell your only going to die anyway.
    F**k the economy F**k the banks and thank god for me. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

We did not install a fitted kitchen until our SSIA came through despite being offered money for 'additional and unforeseen extras"

So you personally benefited from the SSIA scheme, and got a 25% return on every 4 euros invested. Where did the govt get the money to fund such decadent schemes? By giveaway budgets and giving away money as if it were free.

We are all now paying for your benefitting of schemes such as the SSIA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Why is economics in the sciences sub forum? It should be in soc/religion beside a&a and christianity..

• Advertisement

The trick to it all ladies and gentlemen is, Borrow as much as you can get in debt as deep as you can dont buy a house. Credit card it all to hell your only going to die anyway.
    F**k the economy F**k the banks and thank god for me. :cool:

Temptamperu for Taoiseach! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I had the time of my life during the tiger years. Coke and yokes and lots of techno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Where are you heading for? Lourdes?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Attabear

The sum total of money I now owe the banks after the boom=0

But I thought we were a team. (weeps)

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Coke and yokes and lots of techno.

Early alzheimer's for you then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

I can see the credit card application form now.

Name : Our Lady of knock.
    Occupation : Earthly mother of the true son of God and Queen of Heaven.
    Time in current job : 2012 years.
    Residing in : Everywhere, the kingdom of God is inside you and all around you.
    Other existing debts : The sins of mankind.

Cant see many banks issuing a platinum card on that back of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Where's the Economics Lesson here? All I see is a load of whigning!

Archeron wrote: »
    I can see the credit card application form now.

Name : Our Lady of knock.
    Occupation : Earthly mother of the true son of God and Queen of Heaven.
    Time in current job : 2012 years.
    Residing in : Everywhere, the kingdom of God is inside you and all around you.
    Other existing debts : The sins of mankind.

Cant see many banks issuing a platinum card on that back of that.

They would have five years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

The OP's post was condescending and arrogant but well done on making their point valid! I was actually after minimising my browser to go get ready for work when I had to double take as my eye caught your post.
    All I can say is wow to your logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Good on you if you can get out of here and make a better life for yourself. Prospects are poor and our political parties have a liking for taking it in the rear, the hussies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

In order to beat the government and claw back my money which I also didn't borrow during the boom yet have to foot the bill there is a simple solution

Just grow some heroin in your attick

• Advertisement

Shryke wrote: »
    Good on you if you can get out of here and make a better life for yourself. Prospects are poor and our political parties have a liking for taking it in the rear, the hussies.

They like to give it in the rear too to be fair, it's like an economic version of The Human Centipede.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    In order to beat the government and claw back my money which I also didn't borrow during the boom yet have to foot the bill there is a simple solution

You cant just.... nevermind.

Stiffler2 wrote: »

Stiffler2 for Tanaiste!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Highly Salami

bluewolf wrote: »
    This is utter nonsense of the highest order. In a cold climate people need to have a roof over their head. If we all slept in ditches, I don't think we would last long in our jobs going to work smelling of rats pee. What if food prices were to increase, should we all starve to save money?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

You cant just.... nevermind.

ahh, but you can.

So you personally benefited from the SSIA scheme, and got a 25% return on every 4 euros invested. Where did the govt get the money to fund such decadent schemes? By giveaway budgets and giving away money as if it were free.

We are all now paying for your benefitting of schemes such as the SSIA.

I take your point but Im not an economist and had no notion (not many regular folk did I presume) of any knock on effect from the ssia. I did however have the cop on not to go into personal debt or take out a loan for something i could not afford and did not need in a hurry. I waited until i had the money which came from the lowest possible ssia available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Deal with it.

You realise that some of us borrowed for perfectly reasonable things (university fees and books in my own case) and paid those debts back at a reasonable interest rate and *shock* paid in full on time, right?

You don't get to clap yourself on the back because you have never had cause or been in the financial situation where a loan was essential. Not everybody who borrowed money did so for flash cars, designer gear or frivolous holidays. Get over yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

bluewolf wrote: »
    This is utter nonsense of the highest order. In a cold climate people need to have a roof over their head. If we all slept in ditches, I don't think we would last long in our jobs going to work smelling of rats pee. What if food prices were to increase, should we all starve to save money?

rent

So rent ffs and stop giving us sob stories about ditches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

See a fool, Use a fool.

• Advertisement
Advertisement