Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom UPLOAD speeds - disgraceful

Options
  • 27-01-2012 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Why do Eircom advertise their products as if they are the best thing ever, when really they should be hanging their heads in shame and apologising?

Eircom, have you actually looked at what {every other telecoms provider in the first world} are offering? Eircom's upload speed offering is shameful.

Standard offerings in Europe
    UPC (Ireland) 100mb down, 7mb up
    BT (UK) 40mb down, 2mb up
    T-Mobile (Germany) 42mb down, 5.7mb up
    Telfonica (Spain) 10mb down, 2mb up

Eircom installed a BRAND NEW line, in an urban area within sight of the exchange. They can give me (UP TO) 8mb down and only 0.5mb up.

Seriously, I'm trying run a business here. I'd be quicker sending carrier pigeons than emails at that rate.

Every few years we're told that Ireland is in the top 10 internet speed in Europe. Maybe based on what's advertised, but no way does this reflect what is actually available.

Download speeds are only half the picture. Upload is just as important, and the pitiful upload speeds are Eircom's dirty little secret.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you're in Dublin can you not get UPC? What about wireless options like Irish Broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Del Amitri

Unfortunately UPC don't do office parks (or rather they only do a very small number of them). Yeah, must look into wireless... I want to use VOIP though and I heard that latency can be an issue with wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Del Amitri wrote: »
    Why do Eircom advertise their products as if they are the best thing ever, when really they should be hanging their heads in shame and apologising?

Eircom, have you actually looked at what {every other telecoms provider in the first world} are offering? Eircom's upload speed offering is shameful.

Eircom installed a BRAND NEW line, in an urban area within sight of the exchange. They can give me (UP TO) 8mb down and only 0.5mb up.

Seriously, I'm trying run a business here. I'd be quicker sending carrier pigeons than emails at that rate.

Every few years we're told that Ireland is in the top 10 internet speed in Europe. Maybe based on what's advertised, but no way does this reflect what is actually available.

Download speeds are only half the picture. Upload is just as important, and the pitiful upload speeds are Eircom's dirty little secret.

Hi Del Amitri,

Thanks for posting on the eircom Forum /Boards.ie

I agree that the upload speed is lower than some International providers, although download speeds are comparible with other fixed line ISPs in europe. It may be unfair to say Ireland lags that far behind other countries. In fact, I'm just back from Amsterdam, where my friend is on a standard 3Mb, using a second hand Zyxel modem, with a 10Gb cap. The downloads /uploads were similar. His ISP allowed him the option to purchase his own modem as this wasn't provided in the initial setup; I know this is similar to other providers in Ireland also.

If on eircom's Next Generation Broadband your broadband usage will be consistent, even at peak times of the day.

Normally up to 8Mb will be adequate for broadband usage, particularly using emal or for viewing sites like google maps, Skype or other high bandwidth applications. I agree it all depends on what you use the Internet for, though up to 8Mb is normally fine for standard Intenet connections. On the otherhand, if you're using a residential broadband service for a business, you may wish to consider other options.

eircom offers both residential and business options for standard and Next Generation Broadband (upto 8Mb, upto 12Mb and upto 24Mb). You may wish to look at these options and what is available to you for your business.

Please visit our Business Broadband Products Site : eircom Business

If you'd like to PM me with your home phone number or eircom Account number I can check if you are on a business or on a residential account with eircom. I can check your broadband and look at the connections you have on your network.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

Sorry for invading your post..... But could anybody tell me what are the correct router settings got my modem yesterday it cannot pick up wifi upstairs or further then 8 feet from the modem. And today it couldn't pick it up at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

talkin wrote: »
    Sorry for invading your post..... But could anybody tell me what are the correct router settings got my modem yesterday it cannot pick up wifi upstairs or further then 8 feet from the modem. And today it couldn't pick it up at all.

You'd probably be better served asking in the wireless forum.

Sounds like there could be something interfering with it. Do you have baby monitors in the house? Or those TV sender things? These, as well as other devices, operate in the same frequency range as wireless routers and could be causing interference. Have you tried changing the channel on the router?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

Thanks for the quick reply! I must try and change the channel on it any idea what channel to change it to?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

Del Amitri wrote: »

your not really comparing like to like on that list. i made a rough guess at what is being used based on the speeds given
    upc (cable)
    BT (vdsl/fiber)
    T-mobile (vdsl/fiber)
    Telfonica (adsl2)

eircoms packages for the same technology are
    vdsl 25mb down 8mb up
    fiber 150mb down 30mb up
    adsl2+ 24mb down 768kb up (1mb/2mb on business packages)

while those are dependant on location and distance the packages do compare well to other providers on speed also, pricing might be a different matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

talkin wrote: »

Hi talkin,

The following link on our Forum website should be helpful here :

Improve your Wireless Setup

Let me know if you still need help or give Tech Support a quick call:

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call and help if you need to follow this up.

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

My mobile BB connection gets way higher speeds than any Eircom ADSL connection i've used.

HSPA on the mobile network allows for such high upload speed.

1739360091.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Cork Wifi

Theres another way to get UPC Broadband even if you dont have a cable across your building
    www.wisp.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

Hi talkin,

Improve your Wireless Setup

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call and help if you need to follow this up.

Best wishes,
    Ant

The wireless setup link you quoted above returns a 404 error, helpful :s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

The wireless setup link you quoted above returns a 404 error, helpful :s

Hi talkin,

- http://bit.ly/y1GWXQ

Best wishes,
    Ant
    ===================================

Hi Guys,

I amended the Link for the above post.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭roxybing

Don't complain about your broadband speed to much after all you could be me and yes I pay for broadband

1863354264.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14 alina1403

upload speed is awful for last few weeks 0.14 to 3.5 max , but paying full price like for good one, contacted eircom no problem with line or modem, so were is internet speed ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

alina1403 wrote: »
    upload speed is awful for last few weeks 0.14 to 3.5 max , but paying full price like for good one, contacted eircom no problem with line or modem, so were is internet speed ....

Hi alina,

I have tested the line for you using the details from a previous contact. It seems the signal is testing fine from our end. The line is syncing at an upload speed of 512kbps to the main socket. 512 is the max upload speed on the package you have. You could try this checklist for the eircom community forum and see if it brings any improvements.

Regards

James

Advertisement