Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pyjama Ban

Options
  • 27-01-2012 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭

I thought I'd share this seen as two of the places where the ban is in place is Damastown and Corduff. Link
    It follows reports of a sign outside the Corduff Health Centre in Blanchardstown, west Dublin which stated that “pyjamas are NOT regarded as appropriate attire when attending Community Welfare Services at these offices”.

I'll admit, I often see girls in their pyjamas going to the shops in Corduff even when it is freezing out!

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Ah sugar. Now I'll have to buy some real clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I have seen this in Mountview Newsagent. Some overweight woman in her Penneys pyjamas was in the queue in front of me. Lets just say the pj's weren't doing a good job of containing the white rolls of fat :eek:

Not a pretty sight :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

kenon wrote: »
    I thought I'd share this seen as two of the places where the ban is in place is Damastown and Corduff. Link

I'll admit, I often see girls in their pyjamas going to the shops in Corduff even when it is freezing out!

Where exactly is the ban in Corduff? I'm not aware of any social welfare offices there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Where exactly is the ban in Corduff? I'm not aware of any social welfare offices there.

It says Corduff Health Centre.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

I think it is a health centre in corduff that they are talking about.

Where is the Heath Centre in Corduff btw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I think it is a health centre in corduff that they are talking about.

Where is the Heath Centre in Corduff btw?
    I think it is at the back of the shops near the park.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

It's on it's own in Corduff Green, it's the old priest hut used as a parish house in the early 70s.

Thanks for that, I wasn't aware of the ban there but it's proper order.
    395630_239429236134562_100002024638220_539483_701272159_n.jpg

It's on it's own in Corduff Green, it's the old priest hut used as a parish house in the early 70s.

Thanks for that, I wasn't aware of the ban there but it's proper order.

Yeah I think is only common courtesy to your fellow citizens to dress decently and appropriately when you go out in public.

Also staff in the public service should not have to work in a situation where they have to deal with scantily clad members of the public.

i stuck this online tuesday morn on FB and by the next day it was all over the news.

now its on papers in london and nY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

personally i think its a load of ****e
    let a person where what they like
    its like this nonsense of shirt and tie in the office

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

If a man comes to read your meter dressed as a clown are you going to let him in ....Outside appearance always denotes inside thoughts and values . I see them outside churches at funerals dressed in striped track suits smoking and i'm not impressed ...People seem to have little sense of occasion these days .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Random wrote: »

They're going to the CWO cap in hand looking for a dig out and they arrive up in pyjama's, that's one way to give two fingers to the government, and one way to prove you don't give a **** about finding a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Molly1983

January wrote: »
    They're going to the CWO cap in hand looking for a dig out and they arrive up in pyjama's, that's one way to give two fingers to the government, and one way to prove you don't give a **** about finding a job.

I completely agree. I work hard in my job and pay a lot of tax. I work nights unsocial hours and a lot of weekends
    I don't work so that people who are too lazy to get changed in the morning can go and collect dole money.do they not have any respect for themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Random wrote: »

Agreed. I'm proud of how I look in a thong, and I don't care if they don't like it down in the post office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It's not a D15 specific poster, a friend posted the same pic from her SW Office in Wexford.

athtrasna wrote: »
    It's not a D15 specific poster, a friend posted the same pic from her SW Office in Wexford.

All i'm saying is that I posted it at 10am on tuesday morning on FB and on a very popular dublin soccer forum.

By 10am the next morning it was all over the news.

A mate of mine took that picture in Damastown ;)

Same as Mulhuddart Community Centre. PJ ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

I have seen this in Mountview Newsagent. Some overweight woman in her Penneys pyjamas was in the queue in front of me. Lets just say the pj's weren't doing a good job of containing the white rolls of fat :eek:

Not a pretty sight :(

You ungrateful lucky sod. There are people out there who would pay good money to be in your position. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Same as Mulhuddart Community Centre. PJ ban.

Just as well Ant & Dec are no longer known as PJ and Duncan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Young Wans from 'town' started wearing pj's during the day a few years ago,
    cue movie 'Pajama Girls' (would like to see it)
    So what if people wear pjs, as long as they are hygenic whats the problem?
    ts not my personal choice of daily wear , but imo personal attire is just another way to put a person into a 'box'. Divide and rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I'd have thought that public servants have a lot of more urgent things to do that try to set sartorial standards for citizens. :rolleyes:

Personally, I think wearing pyjamas in public is slobbish and perhaps even bad manners, but the way people dress is an aspect of privacy, which is a fundamental right enshrined in numerous international conventions. This right can be impinged on only through legislation (or regulations and guidelines issued on the basis of legislation), which must be compatible with observance of fundamental rights. If the social welfare authorities in Ireland actually try to ban the wearing of pyjamas in offices where members of the public must go (because they have no choice unlike with a shop, restaurant, club or hotel), it will most likely only lead to legal challenges, huge costs and, probably, a lot of unfavourable publicity for Ireland.:eek:

I doubt very much whether any individual social welfare branch office has any statutory basis on which to issue a guideline (which many clients may mistake for an official order) concerning dress codes; these would have to be issued centrally by a Department on the basis of existing legislation or legislated for separately by the Dáil.

It may grate on some public servants - and they should not forget that they are public servants, not the public's masters - that clients turn up for interviews in pyjamas, but unless the clients are displaying their intimate parts, they have no right to object. You can't legislate for good taste, or for common sense, either. The fact that people dress a particular way when they attend an interview in the SW office does not mean they would go for a job interview dressed the same way, and if they do, then the SW office can always send someone else, and someone else, until the job is filled.There is also no reason why they shouldn't mention during an interview that it is important to dress appropriately when attending an interview with a prospective employer:cool:

Where would it end if public servants who are tasked with assessing citizens' eligibility for statutory social benefits could assume the role of sartorial Gestapo just like that? What about hair styles? Should men always be either clean-shaven or have neatly trimmed beards? What footwear is acceptable? What about hijabs, turbans, kurtas ---?:)

Is Ireland slipping back into the bad old days of the 1950s, when Bishop Brown of Galway tried to ban women wearing bikinis on the beach in Salthill, when every village was a "valley of the squinting windows", and aul wans (of whatever age or gender) got their jollies by pointing the finger at their neighbour, when the dance halls had signs that said "no jitterbugging", and crossdressing men condemned dance halls as "occasions of sin" anyway?:rolleyes:

I never even noticed women outdoors in pyjamas until my daughter pointed a couple fo them out to me and commented "How cheap!". I agree, but there are so many other things that would bother people if they let them.

http://observers.france24.com/content/20100225-can-you-ban-people-going-out-pyjamas-shanghai-expo-2010

100223%20pyjamas%205.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Not D15 related.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement