Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns n Roses - The O2, Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭2cool4school

friend of mine overheard scummers on the bus talking about how they were heading along tonight to throw bangers on the stage

whatever about bottles i think fireworks might cause major trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Let the drama begin,on route into town soon. See you all in the jungle baby that's right the jungle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

so if thats his leg he has the skinniest ankle in the world. and pubes to his knee..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Going to this tonight - i've my fingers crossed for a total trainwreck.

I'm on the nightrain
    Bottoms up
    I'm on the nightrain
    Fill my cup
    I'm on the nightrain
    Ready to crash and burn

I never learn
    I'm on the nightrain
    I love that stuff
    I'm on the nightrain
    I can never get enough
    I'm on the nightrain
    Never to return - no <
    *(hopefully)*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

I'm on the nightrain
    Bottoms up
    I'm on the nightrain
    Fill my cup
    I'm on the nightrain
    Ready to crash and burn

I never learn
    I'm on the nightrain
    I love that stuff
    I'm on the nightrain
    I can never get enough
    I'm on the nightrain
    Never to return - no <
    *(hopefully)*

"I never learn", stands out to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭the_big_kahuna

Thin Lizzy still playing......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Uh oh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

what time GNR due on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭TheGimp

First people were told 9:30ish but then that time was retracted. It takes about 45min to 1hr for the set changeover so GNR should hit the stage around 10:20.

Worryingly, that is the same time as in 2010.

TheGimp wrote: »
    First people were told 9:30ish but then that time was retracted. It takes about 45min to 1hr for the set changeover so GNR should hit the stage around 10:20.

Worryingly, that is the same time as in 2010.

surely since the stage is designed for the GNR show their set it already in place and the support act usually play in front of it with perhaps a backdrop in between to keep the main set under cover until the main act.

I find it hard to believe there is a timely set changover for the main act when it's their rig in the first place. It would be different for a festival with bands sharing the same stage etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭TheGimp

surely since the stage is designed for the GNR show their set it already in place and the support act usually play in front of it with perhaps a backdrop in between to keep the main set under cover until the main act.

I find it hard to believe there is a timely set changover for the main act when it's their rig in the first place. It would be different for a festival with bands sharing the same stage etc.

Same thing happened last time and on all their shows in the states. Could be just an excuse until The Ginge decides to show his mug.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Have they taken to the stage yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

honru wrote: »

About 20 minutes ago from what twitter tells me

honru wrote: »

folks over in the Rock & Metal thread are covering it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

He's such a dickhead. A damn talent one, but a dickhead none the less.
    I wish I could have made this tonight. I look forward to hearing how the gig went. I hope he preforms as good as he can. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

@stuartclark66 is tweeting from there, seriously good show it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭sabrewulf

The gig was absolutely incredible. Almost 3 hours. Including Whole lotta Rosie, Don't cry, Estranged, TWAT and Civil War!!! :D

One small Request to the guy who sat with a girl in first row of Block L on the very left: I saw you and the girl taking turns videotaping to save battery. I was missing Civil War and saw that you filmed it (with a Lumix?).

Any chance that I can get this videofile? Pretty much everybody else's camera batteries were flat at this stage, including mine. Please reply if you read this (or anyone else who has a good recording of it).

Absolutely amazing. Also a big thanks to all potential troublemakers, because they either stayed home, or simply enjoyed the show this time. It was a great atmosphere. No one tried to feck it up! :)

sabrewulf

EDIT:

Credit to GypsySoul and Jarmo @ HTGTH:
    (Note: Better was played. Maddy was not)

Setlist:

Chinese Democracy
    Welcome to the Jungle
    It's So Easy
    Mr. Brownstone
    Sorry
    Rocket Queen
    Richard Fortus Solo
    Live and Let Die
    This I Love
    Better
    Tommy Stinson Solo Motivation
    Band Introduction
    Dizzy Reed Solo Baba O' Riley
    Street Of Dreams
    You Could Be Mine
    DJ Ashba Solo Mi Amor
    Sweet Child O' Mine
    Jam (Another Brick In The Wall)
    Axl Piano Solo Someone Saved My Life Tonight / Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    November Rain
    Bumblefoot Solo Pink Panther Theme / Danny Boy
    Don't Cry
    Whole Lotta Rosie
    Estranged
    Knockin' on Heaven's Door
    Nightrain

Encore
    Jam
    There Was A Time
    Civil War
    Jam / Paradise City

just looking at the November Rain video from last night, tight performance and Axl actually looked to be enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

What a show, seriously, an incredible performance from Guns N' Roses and I'll repost some more ranting and raving in Rock and Metal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Well that was enjoyable, only got 3 hours sleep, but even though i still consider them sub par to the original band the performance last night was fantastic.

Value for money and while people will say ooo he came on the same time as the 2010 gig, at least this time there was a decent support act that got the crowd going and a warmup band prior,

Towards the end the voice was going but doing the Illusion trilogy and civil war was a bonus for me, not something i'd thought i'd see live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Well I'm pleased this gig went well and the crowd were on their best behaviour.

I wasn't there, as I wanted to know how Axle would be received this time, I might actually consider going the next time.

Did the band hint at any future trips to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Thin Lizzy said they'd be back in December in the olympia,

I had a battlewagon in front of me the entire gig,

she was up for a brawl, during one of the more bouncier songs some guy bumped into her,

Said sorry she proceeded to grab his balls and give him a bollicking,

could see her also making a fist, only trouble i saw in the crowd really,

Oh yeah the reason she was so angry she was recording a song on her phone and he knocked her out of shot when Ashba was in centre frame,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

not a massive guns and roses fan, won tickets and went, expected the worse and was just blown away

why did he go off every 2mins? oxegen drugs or a drink?

brought me cousin who knew every song by the first string that really blew me away,

feel like emailing joe duffy and tell him how good it was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Absolutely delighted with that gig! Such a difference to 2 years ago in so many ways!

Axl, the band, the crowd, all in great form! Can't remember the last rock gig I was at that had such a well behaved crowd who were just looking to enjoy themselves!

Great to hear Don't Cry, Estranged, Civil War & There Was a Time live too. 4th time seeing GNR and that's the first time they've played any of those songs at a gig I've been at.

Also, Thin Lizzy put on a great show earlier in the night! Great to hear the classics live and they are the ideal band to build up an atmosphere as a warmup. May have to look into going to their gig in December now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Hiya

You may notice that, between this, and the main GNR thread in the Rock & Metal forum, that I was doing some serious bitching about Axl.

Well, I went to last night's gig too. My brother bought me two tickets for my birthday, so it was(seriously)a last minute decision to go.

We arrived at the venue about halfway thru the first bands set(they were bloody awful). I was seriously apprehensive as to how the 2012 version of Lizzy were going to sound, but I was pleasantly surprised. They put on a really good performance, and got the crowd warmed up nicely. Ricky Warwick is a damn good frontman. The bassist looks like he was dragged out of Manowar or some power metal band???:D Highlight of their set for me was Still In Love With You.

I was really apprehensive about going to see GnR this time, after reading about what happened in 2010. I suppose spontaneous decisions are the best ones, 'cos I really enjoyed their set - apart from all the guitar w@nkery between songs, and Axl going off stage every few minutes. My brother reckons he was going off to get his own brand of o2.:D

There were so many highlights of their set for me: Civil War, Estranged, Knockin' On Heavens Door, Wish You Were Here, Sweet Child O'Mine, but Whole Lotta Rosie - blew the f**kin roof of the place imo.

They also played my favourite song off CD - There Was A Time - absolutely brilliant song.

I'm glad that no s**t went down and that Axl seemed to be really enjoying himself - he seemed to even make an apology(of sorts)for what happened in 2010.

I don't think he'll be back to play Ireland again, so it's probably the last we'll see of him/them....?

The bro took some vids of the gig last night, they'll go up on my Facebook page later.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

karaokeman wrote: »
    Well I'm pleased this gig went well and the crowd were on their best behaviour.

I wasn't there, as I wanted to know how Axle would be received this time, I might actually consider going the next time.

Did the band hint at any future trips to Dublin?

I was the same , im glad that it went so well for everyone who went and there was no drama

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭the_big_kahuna

Hiya

They also played my favourite song off CD - There Was A Time - absolutely brilliant song.

Totally agree. Couldn't believe they played it. Love this tune :)

Fantastic performance I must say. The only thing that wrecked my head was the bullsh!t solo's and stuff between songs :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,048 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Hiya

You may notice that, between this, and the main GNR thread in the Rock & Metal forum, that I was doing some serious bitching about Axl.

Well, I went to last night's gig too. My brother bought me two tickets for my birthday, so it was(seriously)a last minute decision to go.

We arrived at the venue about halfway thru the first bands set(they were bloody awful). I was seriously apprehensive as to how the 2012 version of Lizzy were going to sound, but I was pleasantly surprised. They put on a really good performance, and got the crowd warmed up nicely. Ricky Warwick is a damn good frontman. The bassist looks like he was dragged out of Manowar or some power metal band???:D Highlight of their set for me was Still In Love With You.

I was really apprehensive about going to see GnR this time, after reading about what happened in 2010. I suppose spontaneous decisions are the best ones, 'cos I really enjoyed their set - apart from all the guitar w@nkery between songs, and Axl going off stage every few minutes. My brother reckons he was going off to get his own brand of o2.:D

There were so many highlights of their set for me: Civil War, Estranged, Knockin' On Heavens Door, Wish You Were Here, Sweet Child O'Mine, but Whole Lotta Rosie - blew the f**kin roof of the place imo.

I'm glad that no s**t went down and that Axl seemed to be really enjoying himself - he seemed to even make an apology(of sorts)for what happened in 2010.

I don't think he'll be back to play Ireland again, so it's probably the last we'll see of him/them....?

The bro took some vids of the gig last night, they'll go up on my Facebook page later.

That's what i said last night!!! he was well able to hop!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I think you'd be better off seeing Slash live with Myles Kennedy on vocals, looks like he puts on a great show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,048 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

No way would slash match what i saw last night.

Advertisement