Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns n Roses - The O2, Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Paddy GT wrote: »
    Can't wait for this gig ... Yes 2010 at the O2 was a shambles, Axl was 40minutes late ... big deal, the guy has always done this so you should know the score by now, if you can't deal with it then don't go, simples :) he puts it down to preparing his voice and getting into the right mentality to play the gig. And personally I would rather wait and get an incredible performance with Axl totally on fire than have him shoehorned on stage just so he is on time.

The crowd was the worst I have ever seen and an embarrassment to this country, What kind of idiot would pay their hard earned money to see an act then fire bottles at them.

Also to people who say this isn't Guns N' Roses, sure its not the original line up, but the band is insanely talented and Axl is the last great rock n' roll front man left.

Two words: Bobby Gillespie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Fcuk this sh1t,

Im outta here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Paddy GT wrote: »
    Axl is the last great rock n' roll front man left.

:confused:

Ian Brown
    Liam Gallagher
    Mick Jagger
    Glenn Frey
    Roger Daltrey

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Robert Plant
    David Coverdale
    Glenn Hughes
    David Lee Roth
    Brian Johnson

To name just a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

rednik wrote: »
    Robert Plant
    David Coverdale
    Glenn Hughes
    David Lee Roth
    Brian Johnson

To name just a few.

David Coverversion?!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Paddy GT

@Ron I wasn't for a second worried about being clamped or the curfew, If the concert wasn't over there was no way that cars were going to be clamped and likewise with the curfew no promoter in their right mind would pull the plug for fear of riots they would just incur the fines and pass them onto the band. The festival in Reading was a different story obviously as it is dependant on permission from the local council each year.

As for the crowd, fair enough it was just a couple of people who threw the bottles but just listen to the crowd in the video and the booing and abuse they hurled at the band.

And I stand over my comment of him being the last true rock n' roll front man, he is the last of his ilk of wild unpredictable and outlandish rock stars, Stephen Tyler is doing reality tv and you can't exactly picture Mick Jagger or Roger Daltrey biting a security guard on the leg these days can you!? the fact that nobody can work with him and what a volatile person he is, is part of his charm, the guy is a mesmerising performer who wears his heart on his sleeve and has never sold out.

So I would urge people to go to the show, sure there is a chance it might end up being another farce but I feel as though Guns N' Roses have unfinished in Dublin and in a world where rock is dying and being replaced with predictable and dull acts it is a risk worth taking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

About the only thing that might change my mind is if he turns up to the RNRHOF ceremony and joins Slash, Duff, Izzy,Matt &Steven onstage without being a complete and utter moron in the process. They don't even have to perform.

If he can be mature about it then perhaps he can do the same in Dublin. People are saying lately that he has changed and is doing stuff that he hasn't done for years (responding to fan requests, giving interviews etc). The RNRHOF ceremony would be the perfect opportunity for Axl to show a bit of class for once. Who knows, maybe if it all goes smoothly he might invite the others to have guest appearances at the upcoming gigs?

Otherwise, I really couldn't be bothered forking out €70

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Paddy GT

RonMexico wrote: »
    About the only thing that might change my mind is if he turns up to the RNRHOF ceremony and joins Slash, Duff, Izzy,Matt &Steven onstage without being a complete and utter moron in the process. They don't even have to perform.

If he can be mature about it then perhaps he can do the same in Dublin. People are saying lately that he has changed and is doing stuff that he hasn't done for years (responding to fan requests, giving interviews etc). The RNRHOF ceremony would be the perfect opportunity for Axl to show a bit of class for once. Who knows, maybe if it all goes smoothly he might invite the others to have guest appearances at the upcoming gigs?

Otherwise, I really couldn't be bothered forking out €70

Really hope he does, even just for the original band to get up and accept the award together acknowledging the impact they made on music would be something special.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

scudzilla wrote: »
    Now a normal rational man would say "Ok, we fcuked up in Dublin last time, in May we are going to make up for it 10 times over and i promise you that it'll be the concert of your lives"

If he was a rational man he wouldnt have done it in the first place......but then a rational man wouldnt take 10-15 years to make a (piece of ****)album either

I hope to Christ this is cancelled due to poor sales,i was there last time,never again

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

clearly a troubled mind too - the incident with slash's granny and the couch springs to mind.

do tell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Shreddy Krueger

milehip1 wrote: »
    do tell

From what I remember from reading Slash's book , Axl slept in his basement in the really early GN'R days and one day he wandered upstairs and fell asleep on the couch before Slash's granny tried asking him politely to move but he told her to fcuk off.So Slash's mam asked him to talk to axl about apologising so he did as they drove to rehearsal , Axl simply looked over at slash before jumping out of the car as it was moving , needles to say he didnt show up at practice that day or at Slash's doorstep anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

Went to the last gig. The funniest bit was bumping into Axl Rose outside, walking down the street in a huff, after he stormed off stage. :pac:

No way I'm going to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

A story from The Irish Times, i've highlighted what i find to be very interesting

LINK : http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0128/1224310869204.html

GUNS N’ROSES are to rehearse in Ireland before their forthcoming European tour, MCD promoter Denis Desmond has said.

The band announced a somewhat surprise concert at the O2 in Dublin for May following on from their disastrous performance at the same venue two years ago when singer Axl Rose (pictured) walked off stage and thousands of fans left the arena.

Their O2 concert on May 17th is anticipated to be the first of a series of shows the band will perform across Europe this summer.

It will take place almost 20 years to the day after their headline concert at Slane Castle in 1992.

Desmond said the request to play in Ireland came from Rose himself because the singer felt they had “unfinished business”with their Irish fans.

“We want to keep it simple. The thing is that it is a great show. He [Axl Rose] wants to come back.

“It was his request. The easiest thing for him to do would be to go ‘Oh I’m never coming back again after what happened’ but he wants to come back.”

They are also likely to use their time in Ireland to rehearse songs for an anticipated follow-up to their last album Chinese Democracy which took 13 years to complete. “The band like Ireland, they like playing here,” Desmond added. “I think he’s going to come back and deliver an 11 out of 10 show.”

Guns N’Roses will play the O2 in the full realisation that if they do not finish their set, they will not be allowed to leave the building as happened the last time they played.

The band walked off stage at their previous Irish concert after fans, who were agitated by their late arrival on stage, ignored a warning from Rose not to throw bottles on stage.

After a fan threw a water bottle during the intro to the second song Welcome to the Jungle, the singer announced: “Here’s the deal, one more bottle, we go home. We want to stay.

“If you don’t want to have fun just let us know. We’ll be on our way.”

Three songs later, another object was hurled onstage. Rose said goodnight, the group stopped the show and left the stage at 10.50pm to a cacophony of boos and cat-whistles.

Desmond appeared on stage and told the crowd he was endeavouring to get the band back on stage. He pleaded with them to refrain from throwing things up on stage.

Security refused to allow the band to leave the arena and they came back on stage at 11.10pm and finished a set which only concluded at 12.53am to a half empty arena.

Desmond cautioned that Guns N’Roses fans had to make allowances for the band’s habitual lateness coming on stage, but he did not anticipate a repeat of what happened at the O2 in September 2010.

“It was a one-off. Lightning doesn’t strike twice,” he said.

Axl Rose is the only surviving member of the original Guns'N’Roses line-up while keyboard player Dizzy Reed played at Slane Castle on the Use Your Illusions tour.

The original band members will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in April leading to huge anticipation among their fans that they will put their well-documented differences behind them and reunite on stage for that event.

So they'll be coming into Ireland early and will probably play a gig the night before the O2 show to an empty arena, as a rehearsal for the tour (Like Pearl jam did a few years back, i know i was workin that night at The Point :D:D:D)

As much as i hate what Axl has become, and i've been a huge critic of his recently, i honestly think that this show will be amazing, and don't even rule out a small club appearance by the band as another sort of 'apology'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

As much as i hate what Axl has become, and i've been a huge critic of his recently, i honestly think that this show will be amazing'

As I said in my original post in this thread, I think this is quite likely too. Theres little to no chance or any repeat, if anything they will try and make up for the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,432 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

wolfmoon87 wrote: »
    Went to the last gig. The funniest bit was bumping into Axl Rose outside, walking down the street in a huff, after he stormed off stage. :pac:

Really i would of thought he would lock himself in his dressing room after he stormed off stage lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

wolfmoon87 wrote: »

Jaysus that's a mad story altogether. I hope you said sorry for bumping into him, you know what he's like these days. Was he walking back up towards town or what way was he going?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Really i would of thought he would lock himself in his dressing room after he stormed off stage lol.

He must have been in a right huff alright. He came out the side gate, where the tour buses go in.
    Jaysus that's a mad story altogether. I hope you said sorry for bumping into him, you know what he's like these days. Was he walking back up towards town or what way was he going?

:pac: Well I didn't actually "bump" in to him!

He came out the side gate, and was walking up towards the O2 Main entrance!! - silly Axl.:pac:
    He walked right out into the path of angry fans. Doh!
    One big guy started having a go at him, and they exchanged words, then Axl headed back were he came from. Probably safer in there than outside. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭finhex

Danko Jones were told to keep playing and after 1hr 15 even they'd had enough of themselves.
    After they went off there was still an hour and 10mins between them going off and GnR coming on around 10:25.

Please keep to the facts.
    This is urban legend. Danko Jones played exactly same set than day before in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

A story from The Irish Times, i've highlighted what i find to be very interesting

LINK : http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0128/1224310869204.html

GUNS N’ROSES are to rehearse in Ireland before their forthcoming European tour, MCD promoter Denis Desmond has said.

The band announced a somewhat surprise concert at the O2 in Dublin for May following on from their disastrous performance at the same venue two years ago when singer Axl Rose (pictured) walked off stage and thousands of fans left the arena.

Their O2 concert on May 17th is anticipated to be the first of a series of shows the band will perform across Europe this summer.

It will take place almost 20 years to the day after their headline concert at Slane Castle in 1992.

Desmond said the request to play in Ireland came from Rose himself because the singer felt they had “unfinished business”with their Irish fans.

“We want to keep it simple. The thing is that it is a great show. He [Axl Rose] wants to come back.

“It was his request. The easiest thing for him to do would be to go ‘Oh I’m never coming back again after what happened’ but he wants to come back.”

They are also likely to use their time in Ireland to rehearse songs for an anticipated follow-up to their last album Chinese Democracy which took 13 years to complete. “The band like Ireland, they like playing here,” Desmond added. “I think he’s going to come back and deliver an 11 out of 10 show.”

Guns N’Roses will play the O2 in the full realisation that if they do not finish their set, they will not be allowed to leave the building as happened the last time they played.

The band walked off stage at their previous Irish concert after fans, who were agitated by their late arrival on stage, ignored a warning from Rose not to throw bottles on stage.

After a fan threw a water bottle during the intro to the second song Welcome to the Jungle, the singer announced: “Here’s the deal, one more bottle, we go home. We want to stay.

“If you don’t want to have fun just let us know. We’ll be on our way.”

Three songs later, another object was hurled onstage. Rose said goodnight, the group stopped the show and left the stage at 10.50pm to a cacophony of boos and cat-whistles.

Desmond appeared on stage and told the crowd he was endeavouring to get the band back on stage. He pleaded with them to refrain from throwing things up on stage.

Security refused to allow the band to leave the arena and they came back on stage at 11.10pm and finished a set which only concluded at 12.53am to a half empty arena.

Desmond cautioned that Guns N’Roses fans had to make allowances for the band’s habitual lateness coming on stage, but he did not anticipate a repeat of what happened at the O2 in September 2010.

“It was a one-off. Lightning doesn’t strike twice,” he said.

Axl Rose is the only surviving member of the original Guns'N’Roses line-up while keyboard player Dizzy Reed played at Slane Castle on the Use Your Illusions tour.

The original band members will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in April leading to huge anticipation among their fans that they will put their well-documented differences behind them and reunite on stage for that event.

So they'll be coming into Ireland early and will probably play a gig the night before the O2 show to an empty arena, as a rehearsal for the tour (Like Pearl jam did a few years back, i know i was workin that night at The Point :D:D:D)

As much as i hate what Axl has become, and i've been a huge critic of his recently, i honestly think that this show will be amazing, and don't even rule out a small club appearance by the band as another sort of 'apology'

LOL I wish I could believe that. This gig will either be cancelled due to poor sales, or it will end up in disaster due to Axl forgetting the time(again).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/1800483BA4C05E50?artistid=735218&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1

LOL doors open at 6.30pm. Must be to make sure Axl plays a full set and gets to bed early!!!?? :D

• Advertisement

Id reckon they would sell enough tickets for the show to go ahead.

Its really falls on axls shoulders. Will he be bothered to show up on time or not have an onstage fit and leave.

If i was mcd i would book 2 support bands so to keep people entertained.

Doors open at 6.30
    7.00pm-8.00pm- Band 1
    8.15pm-9.15pm- Band 2
    9.45 Approx- Guns n roses

The only problem is that more than likly many high profile bands may not want to play support to Guns N Roses. so we could be stuck with Danko Jones or Theroy of a deadman or someone like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

If Axle wants to make ammends, fair dues & I can respect that. If anyone is capable of putting on the gig of a lifetime it's him. But there's more than a few fans who were hard done by last time, being ejected, no admission back in, no refund etc. The promoters have a hand in making the mess that was made by not refunding tickets. How a lot of those people could be convinced to go again is beyond me.

Either way, I hope it's a killer gig. The people who go deserve it :cool:

Supported by Slash & Loaded :eek::eek::eek::eek:

maybe.....possibly

maybe.....possibly

That would sell tickets but will never happen.

I can only imagine a jam with guns n roses, slash and Duff :D:D:D:D. Worth the ticket price alone

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

maybe.....possibly

Hopefully not id rather Slash do his own show :P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

if Axl wanted to make amends all he had to do was refund anyone who wanted a refund after the fiasco of the last gig here. Simple as that.

The idiot is now using it as a form of reverse psychology to hype up the gig to sell more tickets.

One thing though, This is the only 2012 European GnR show that has been announced yet i think, Another way of apologising maybe??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

if Axl wanted to make amends all he had to do was refund anyone who wanted a refund after the fiasco of the last gig here. Simple as that.

The idiot is now using it as a form of reverse psychology to hype up the gig to sell more tickets.

GnR could have easily refused to play Ireland ever again. If the man can swallow his pride & play again, at least give him the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

It is not the only date. Gigs in Poland, Italy etc...it is the first gig though, which is worrying as Axl is usually dire for the first 3-4 gigs on a tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Shreddy Krueger

Does anybody else think/hope they will be playing new material this summer ?

Advertisement