Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns n Roses - The O2, Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Does anybody else think/hope they will be playing new material this summer ?

Ye, they'll be playing all the hits from Appetite For Destruction Remastered which Axl is currently working on.

Also, Chinese Democracy.......it's title suggested it was also going to be trouble. I love the title track, Better, Madagascar and Street of Dreams.

On a more serious note, someone posted earlier made reference to stage times and support acts. I've no problem with that but I've no interest whatsoever in the awful Danko Jones for an hour and fifteen minutes. If stage times are released in advance by MCD people can make plans accordingly. Last time I had my car parked in a city centre car park that closed at midnight so I had to leave at 11:15.

Its actually hard for me to decide. As I've said the RDS gig in 2006 was a cracking show and that is the level that I know Axl is capable of. I would gladly pay 70e if i knew that was guaranteed. Make no mistake, the band are a razor sharp too.

Unfortunately for me 70e now is worth so much to me. Things are very very tough financially. A gig in town is now a massive treat and for a few quid extra I can go and see Bruce Springsteen in the RDS who'll play for at least two and half hours. He'll arrive in stage on time, play his heart out like its his very first gig and his last, have the crowd in the palm if his hand and show why he's someone every should see once in thier lifetime. He'll have a new album out in a few weeks with some new great songs that I'd probably love to hear live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

scudzilla wrote: »
    As much as i hate what Axl has become, and i've been a huge critic of his recently, i honestly think that this show will be amazing, and don't even rule out a small club appearance by the band as another sort of 'apology'

Ye. They'll play a Midnight at the Olympia gig the night before!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,432 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Id reckon Axl mite not even refer to the events of the 2010 show unless somebody throws a bottle again on may 17th.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Id reckon Axl mite not even refer to the events of the 2010 show unless somebody throws a bottle again on may 17th.

I bet the atmosphere at this gig is gonna be tense as hell....? Glad I'm not going.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,000 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Seriously dudes, don't go to this. It's a joke and an absolute slap in the face to those who went along last year and didn't get a show or their money back.

I saw kids leaving crying. I saw disabled people in wheelchairs who'd booked in to the hotel across the road leaving let down.

Do not give these clowns money. That includes both the band and the promoter.

Gun n Roses do not exist anymore. This is the Axl Rose money making - through whatever scam means necessary - show. By going, you're basically bending over and telling him and the promoter that what happened last year was acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Well Paddy Power are quick off the ball, they're offering all these odds!!

Opening Song

Chinese Democracy 1/10
    Welcome To The Jungle 6/1
    Nightrain 14/1
    You Could Be Mine 16/1
    Paradise City 16/1
    Better 25/1
    It's So Easy 25/1
    Sweet Child O' Mine 25/1
    November Rain 25/1

Show to be cancelled and not rescheduled before end of 2013 9/2

Show to be cancelled due to lack of sales 10/1

Axl Rose to cut the set short by storming offstage 4/1

How late will Axl walk out on stage??

On time 3/1
    1 to 15 minutes late 4/1
    16 to 30 minutes late 3/1
    31 to 45 minutes late 9/2
    46 to 60 minutes late 9/2
    More than one hour late 3/1

LINKY : http://www.paddypower.com/bet/music/guns-n-roses?ev_oc_grp_ids=597879

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

May 16th, Scud goes to Bookies and puts a grand on this, then goes and purchases 2 laser pointers and half a dozen eggs.

Night of Gig, Scud waits till near the end and lets launch his mini arsenal

Day after gig, Scud goes and collects his winnings!!

Well Paddy Power are quick off the ball, they're offering all these odds!!

Opening Song

Chinese Democracy 1/10
    Welcome To The Jungle 6/1
    Nightrain 14/1
    You Could Be Mine 16/1
    Paradise City 16/1
    Better 25/1
    It's So Easy 25/1
    Sweet Child O' Mine 25/1
    November Rain 25/1

Show to be cancelled and not rescheduled before end of 2013 9/2

Show to be cancelled due to lack of sales 10/1

How late will Axl walk out on stage??

On time 3/1
    1 to 15 minutes late 4/1
    16 to 30 minutes late 3/1
    31 to 45 minutes late 9/2
    46 to 60 minutes late 9/2
    More than one hour late 3/1

LINKY : http://www.paddypower.com/bet/music/guns-n-roses?ev_oc_grp_ids=597879

LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

o1s1n wrote: »
    Seriously dudes, don't go to this. It's a joke and an absolute slap in the face to those who went along last year and didn't get a show or their money back.
    The reason they didnt get their money back is because they got a show.
    I saw kids leaving crying. I saw disabled people in wheelchairs who'd booked in to the hotel across the road leaving let down.
    :D Brilliant OTT drama queen posting.

By going, you're basically bending over and telling him and the promoter that what happened last year was acceptable.
    What? Getting bottles chucked at him?

The gig last year was more than acceptable.

People asking for money back?! Honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭mooeire

The Nal wrote: »

People asking for money back?! Honestly.[/QUO

Give me a drag of whatever your smoking there will ya?!! Explain to me how the gig was more than acceptable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

mooeire wrote: »

Give me a drag of whatever your smoking there will ya?!! Explain to me how the gig was more than acceptable

He was contracted to come and play a show, which he did. As a show, it wasn't acceptable, but he did what he had to do.

As a show, it wasn't acceptable,

I thought it was.

I thought it was.

Sorry should've made that clearer, I meant coming on late, walking off etc. Wasn't at the gig myself so can't comment on the music aspect of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

finhex wrote: »
    This is urban legend. Danko Jones played exactly same set than day before in Belfast.

Sorry can't let that one go. It's not an urban legend, it actually happend (I was at the shambles in 2010). The front man from Darko Jones was struggling to fill the time they were on stage (they may have even played a couple of songs twice - yup their set was that memorable). When the support acts main singer starts lecturing the crowd about "mantras" and how to deal with life's problems in general simply because they have no more music to play you know you're in trouble.

I won't be going to this. Seeing as I got a full refund from MCD for the last steaming pile of crap G'N'R Dublin non-gig (this was based on all of the various reasons that heve been rolled out already in another thread) I think I'll keep my hard earned dosh this time.

To those who do decide to take a chance and go, enjoy. I hope you get a decent performance this time. I'll be watching boards circa May 18th for a full breakdown of the nights performances but I don't think I'll be too upset about not going (that is assuming of course that it goes ahead).

• Registered Users Posts: 35,000 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The reason they didnt get their money back is because they got a show..

The house lights came up about 11:20pm and the staff asked me and my girlfriend (along with everyone else in our vicinity) to leave. We did not get any show. We were also directed to the exits by other staff members.

I don't know about you, but when house lights come on and staff members as me to leave the O2 I generally see that as a sign that something is over.

If the band came back on after we'd been asked to leave to cover their ass and get paid that's irrelevant.

Ah alright, so because it's dramatic it musn't have happened. I guess this 'bottling' didn't happen either so.

What? Getting bottles chucked at him?.

You'd swear people were throwing flaming molotov cocktails.

They were plastic bottles.

If you are putting on a hard rock show, and people are throwing plastic bottles, guess what - there are bouncers to deal with that. Crappy behavior happens at concerts all the time, it's nothing new. Storming off like a prissy bitch is unacceptable.

If you are going to run away like a girl, at least come back out once the bouncers have the situation sorted and apologize to the rest of the audience.

I suggest you should probably set your standards a bit higher. If you thought that was acceptable, you must either work for MCD or are just an absolute sycophant for Axl's **** behavior.

It's pretty simple really - we paid for a show, we got a farce. Therefore we wanted our money back.

Not only did we not get a refund, we didn't even get an apology.

The house lights came up about 11:20pm and the staff asked me and my girlfriend (along with everyone else in our vicinity) to leave. We did not get any show. We were also directed to the exits by other staff members.

I don't know about you, but when house lights come on and staff members as me to leave the O2 I generally see that as a sign that something is over.

If the band came back on after we'd been asked to leave to cover their ass and get paid that's irrelevant.
    There were clear announcements made by MCD saying they were trying to get Axl back on stage. At no point, was it announced that the show was over. Which is why I didn't leave. Thousands of others stayed too. Yeah I got home a little late and was tired for work the next day. Boo hoo!

You wrongly assumed the gig was over. Not Axl's issue. Or MCD's issue for that matter.

You'd swear people were throwing flaming molotov cocktails.

They were plastic bottles.
    Plastic bottles with liquid in them that spilled all over the stage. A stage with a massive amount of electrical equipment plugged in on it and a stage with band members and a notoriously arsey lead singer running around on it holding a microphone thats hooked up to - yep - electricity. Water and electricity dont mix well together you know! Have you not seen the end of Gremlins 2? He could've been electrocuted or slipped and hurt himself meaning the other gigs on the tour could have been cancelled, costing millions to him, his band, other promoters, other fans etc. Look at the videos from the gig, theres water and beer all over the stage.

Would you tolerate someone putting your livelihood at risk because you're late? Next time you're late for work, ask your coworkers to start chucking water at you when you're operating electrical equipment or running across a slippy floor.

"Oh well I'm late I suppose, I deserve to be ****ing drenched in beer and water while I operate the toaster here".

Would you just sit there and do nothing?

Didn't think so.

I suggest you should probably set your standards a bit higher. If you thought that was acceptable, you must either work for MCD or are just an absolute sycophant for Axl's **** behavior.
    Maybe I'm just someone who enjoys the odd bit of chaos and unpredictability at a gig and doesn't mind being slightly put out by a band coming on late. I've been to loads of gigs where bands have come on late, haven't been arsed playing properly, have been drunk/****ed up, have played weird setlists, abused the crowd etc. I've never thrown a bottle or a pint glass up at them or asked for a refund. You're not going to the cinema you know! Its a LIVE rock and roll gig.

Everything that happened after the (apparently unforgivable :rolleyes:) late stage time was a result of idiot Irish fans.

And I don't work for MCD by the way. I hate MCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

and added The Nal to the ignore list,

the way i view it is it's in the past now,

hopefully what has been said in the papers was true and he offered to play here and is looking to make ammends, if so i hope it'll be a good show and on that promise i'd be tempted to get a ticket, might try win one though,

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭mooeire

He was contracted to come and play a show, which he did. As a show, it wasn't acceptable, but he did what he had to do.

That makes no sense!!! How can it be acceptable to play a show that wasnt an acceptable show????

allanb49 wrote: »
    and added The Nal to the ignore list,

the way i view it is it's in the past now,

hopefully what has been said in the papers was true and he offered to play here and is looking to make ammends, if so i hope it'll be a good show and on that promise i'd be tempted to get a ticket, might try win one though,

I doubt it. I hope it's MCD finally growing a pair and demanding that he come back and play a proper show...ie: no f***ing around/no delays/no hissy fits?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

thats what i wondered at the 06 gig it was with aiken and outside and he behaved was on time, so what changed in 4 years for him to act like that

* i know he has a slight habit of being late, but the mans inconsistencies are fantastic,

Was it aiken where more hands on and stricter or something?

• Advertisement

Staggering naivety on here from some people. Do you really think hes coming back to "make amends" for the last time? Hes been involved in multiple riots since the 1980s, stadiums (a lot bigger than the O2) getting trashed due to his bahviour, fans stabbed, police cars getting turned over, thousands tear gassed, fights with promoters, fans and paparazzi etc. Do you think he even remembers the gig in 2010 with that level of clarity?!

Or is it more likely that MCD are pushing the "make amends" card as a promotional tool so people will buy the tickets?

Honestly lads....

allanb49 wrote: »
    thats what i wondered at the 06 gig it was with aiken and outside and he behaved was on time, so what changed in 4 years for him to act like that

* i know he has a slight habit of being late, but the mans inconsistencies are fantastic,

Was it aiken where more hands on and stricter or something?

No. I think it seems to happen - the hissy fits - when it's his own gig. He behaves himself(mostly)when he's part of a festival. Hence his impeccable behaviour at Download 06(at least in Dublin anyway).

Staggering naivety on here from some people. Do you really think hes coming back to "make amends" for the last time? Hes been involved in multiple riots since the 1980s, stadiums (a lot bigger than the O2) getting trashed due to his bahviour, fans stabbed, police cars getting turned over, thousands tear gassed, fights with promoters, fans and paparazzi etc. Do you think he even remembers the gig in 2010 with that level of clarity?!

Or is it more likely that MCD are pushing the "make amends" card as a promotional tool so people will buy the tickets?

Honestly lads....

NAIL. ON. THE. HEAD

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Exact same scenario for myself. I don't think a person is unreasonable or running to the exit too soon when the house lights are brought on & not soon after, one is directed to leave by official O2 Staff, who are saying that the show is over (plain English - easy to understand - no misinterpretation). They told me (more than one - I checked to be sure) that once the main house lights are on, its finished.

I waited for several mins to be sure before leaving. The staff were telling everyone around me to contact MCD for refunds as everyone I could hear was asking about it.

Hope its a great gig this time around & that all the fans enjoy it but I won't be heading along to it myself.

mooeire wrote: »
    That makes no sense!!! How can it be acceptable to play a show that wasnt an acceptable show????

I explained what I meant two posts later.

bonoman66 wrote: »
    Exact same scenario for myself. I don't think a person is unreasonable or running to the exit too soon when the house lights are brought on & not soon after, one is directed to leave by official O2 Staff, who are saying that the show is over (plain English - easy to understand - no misinterpretation). They told me (more than one - I checked to be sure) that once the main house lights are on, its finished.
    Thats why it was so crazy and unique when he came back on!
    bonoman66 wrote: »
    I waited for several mins to be sure before leaving. The staff were telling everyone around me to contact MCD for refunds as everyone I could hear was asking about it.

The temporary part time MCD staff? The guys on €8.65 an hour who barely know where the seats are let alone have access to vital backstage info? Those guys told you to leave?

My 88 year old grandmother could've told you when the house lights are on the event is usually over. Its been that way ever since house lights were invented.

But nobody was told officially. Which is why I stayed.

P.S. the 21st Century Doors came back on 10 minutes after the house lights when they played the Point before. Most people had left. Springsteen played the last 20 minutes of his gig in the RDS a couple of years ago with the house lights on, Aiken were trying to get him off stage because he went over the curfew.

Its not unique.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I was not at the last gig and i def wont be at this one . As people have said a lot of people will be very careful what gigs/events they will pay for and i think this will effect the sales of the gig

I do feel sorry for people who were told to leave by o2 staff and ended up missing the gig and wasting a night out . I can understand why the crowd got angry and let Axel know it.

Technically a lot of bands have gotten bottled over the years . sure even MCR got bottled at Download a few years ago and lasted longer then Axel ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dealornodeal23

Can't wait for this gig, welcome back Axl!!!

Only real fans this time, no drunk scumbags throwing bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Technically a lot of bands have gotten bottled over the years . sure even MCR got bottled at Download a few years ago and lasted longer then Axel ;);)
    Linkin Park got destroyed when supporting Metallica in the RDS and still kept going :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Linkin Park got destroyed when supporting Metallica in the RDS and still kept going :pac:

Id say axel prob lasted the same length as these:D

Advertisement