Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jukebox frontends ?

• 27-01-2012 10:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any recommendations of a decent jukebox frontend to use on a MAME cab.
    Something not too flashy and easily controlled with the stick/buttons would be nice :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

How about this? Easily controlled with a thump. :)

3498098.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I use SK Jukebox i think its called. very simple design, scrolls album art like a pub jukebox. its not flashy or full of stupid stuff which i like. you will need a keyboard though. I bought a mini keyboard from china for it, fits in the palm of your hand. you select songs by typing album number, then track number just like a pub one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Perfect :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

keithgeo wrote: »
    I use SK Jukebox i think its called. very simple design, scrolls album art like a pub jukebox. its not flashy or full of stupid stuff which i like. you will need a keyboard though. I bought a mini keyboard from china for it, fits in the palm of your hand. you select songs by typing album number, then track number just like a pub one.

You could get yourself a USB Numeric Keypad and use your arcade controls for scrolling left/right/up/down

After thinking about it, why not just install XBMC - would turn your MAME machine into a media player that would need minimum interface keys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

I use SK Jukebox too, great tool, works great on my Mame cab.
    But some else rewritten original SK App after dev was stopped on it back in 2006 and improved on it...

Heres the new site:
    http://www.spacefractal.com/SkJukebox/

• Advertisement

kevin2me wrote: »
    I use SK Jukebox too, great tool, works great on my Mame cab.
    But some else rewritten original SK App after dev was stopped on it back in 2006 and improved on it...

Heres the new site:
    http://www.spacefractal.com/SkJukebox/

Unfortunatlly from that site they have also stopped development;
    I have decided to retire SKJB for good (by 16/08/2007)

XBMC FTW :)

there is actually a newer site than that one, cant remember where it is though. but i dont like the new version, they added in buttons etc for skipping songs and it just looks stupid, I prefer the simple look of that one above.

having said that, i like to keep things simple, i hate messy screens so its perfect for me, might not be everyones first choice though.

I actually never even checked xbmc for acting like a jukebox, i have it installed on an xbox alright. whats the jukebox like in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Crap sorry I thought I sent on the New website, not old one,
    But Keith dead right too, old version works a treat regardless of its last update,
    if you want old school aracde Jukebox then i would suggest just install old version its still available to download at http://www.spacefractal.com/SkJukebox/

Here is great Thread on new one:
    www.skgsoft.net
    http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=109419.0

The SKG Jukebox is now out of limited beta testing and available for public consumption. This project is both an homage to, and an improvement (hopefully) to the SK Jukebox. It has many advanced features, such as:
    Improved UI, more touchscreen friendly.
    Custom album lists, display only those albums you want. Perfect for families where every member has different musical tastes.
    Create playlists, and play them in regular or random order.
    Manipulate your track list. Change the order of tracks, move a track to the top of the list instantly, delete a track, etc.
    Integrated album art downloader.
    Integrated CD ripper.
    Track Search function.
    Key mapping, map various advanced functions to custom keystrokes.

can you go backwards in it? you can only skip forwards in the old one.

Cheers I'll give SKJukebox a try and see how I get on. Hopefully its fairly idiot-proof cus I've got some real good idiots lined up to use it.

• Advertisement

keithgeo wrote: »
    there is actually a newer site than that one, cant remember where it is though. but i dont like the new version, they added in buttons etc for skipping songs and it just looks stupid, I prefer the simple look of that one above.

having said that, i like to keep things simple, i hate messy screens so its perfect for me, might not be everyones first choice though.

I actually never even checked xbmc for acting like a jukebox, i have it installed on an xbox alright. whats the jukebox like in it?

As a jukebox its actually alright - all joystick controls and a few buttons, customisable keys etc. No need for a keypad or keyboard. Check out the windows/mac/linux versions if yea want to check on a machine with media already there (or via a share).

I was going to use another jukebox app myself for my cab but will be goin the xbmc way me thinks...convinced myself ;)

Tried SKjukebox, building the database is ridiculously slow, wasn't overly impressed with it to be honest when it did finally work.

XBMC for me I think with a nice simple skin should work out.

Tried SKjukebox, building the database is ridiculously slow, wasn't overly impressed with it to be honest when it did finally work.

XBMC for me I think with a nice simple skin should work out.

yeh it takes a while alright on startup, if you set it to static is quicker. let me know how you get on with xbmc, if its simple to use and look at i might check it out myself.

How did yea get on with XBMC lads?

I never got around to trying it myself to be honest, not yet anyways, i havent had a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭neoanto

Old thread and all, but i think its important enough for people are looking at building MAME cabs.
    I found another program out there that can be controlled by the stick and buttons.
    Some guy made it himself after seeing that SK Jukebox and the like required a keyboard.
    Anyway its called JukeCade, dont have a URL, as im in work. But google it.

Advertisement