Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Yard

Options
  • 27-01-2012 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Is it just me or do all parents worry about there kids in the school yard?

Im constantly worring as my 8 year old is very quiet (not a bad thing i know) but not great at standing up for herself.......

Please tell me im not alone.

x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

You are NOT alone! My 9yr old isn't particularly quiet and mixes well, but has had trouble in the yard since JI!!

In JI, he told me no one plays with him and that he stands in the corner of the yard every day...this went on for months, with me feeling very upset for him but not quite knowing how to fix it. One day I was at the school at yard time, and there was yer man in the centre of all his pals having a ball! I soon stopped worrying about yard then!

Nowadays, there is trouble in the yard every day - each classroom is allowed play football with their own ball (why they allow this is anyones guess as there is mayhem every day!!), and he regularly tells me about so-and-so slagging him coz he cant play/can't score etc etc.

Schoolyards are my pet hate to be honest - so no, you are most certainly NOT alone (most of my friends who have kids in the same school, feel the same btw!).

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for that....constantly worried....and then she tells me that there playing this rough game this morning and the other girl MAKES her play and it envolves been dragged round the yard from bold corner to bold corner (the school game) cant get it through her just to say NO i dont wanna play its too rough.....

Its only minor i know and im most probably blowing this wayyyy out....but you know how these things start small and before you know it......

Is there any chance you can pop down to the school at yard time and hide behind a railings and see what's going on exactly? I know when my lad was younger, he'd come home with tales of yard-time and I'd have to ring other parents who would all have heard a different version of the same story!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

My mother was taken aside by the principle and told that I wasn't playing with any of the other kids.

You know what? I was doing that by choice and perfectly happy that way. Just because a child's off on their own doesn't mean they're unhappy. I'm a good deal odder than most people though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Fittle wrote: »
    Is there any chance you can pop down to the school at yard time and hide behind a railings and see what's going on exactly? I know when my lad was younger, he'd come home with tales of yard-time and I'd have to ring other parents who would all have heard a different version of the same story!

Really!! dont do this. ask a teacher if you think there is a problem.

you dont want to be reported to the guards by a neighbour near the school who is concerned about the stranger watching children at breaktimes:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Really!! dont do this. ask a teacher if you think there is a problem.

you dont want to be reported to the guards by a neighbour near the school who is concerned about the stranger watching children at breaktimes:rolleyes:

Talk about over-reaction! I stood at the school gate for 7 minutes looking in at my little fella to see how he was interacting with his pals - anyone who might have thought to ring the gardai in those 7 minutes, would most certainly have had a very cynical view of life:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,433 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Fittle wrote: »
    Talk about over-reaction! I stood at the school gate for 7 minutes looking in at my little fella to see how he was interacting with his pals - anyone who might have thought to ring the gardai in those 7 minutes, would most certainly have had a very cynical view of life:confused:

welcome to Ireland.

Or they may just call Joe Duffy.

Seiously, if said child is not in distress, leave him. That or observe him at home or ask his friends' parents how he is at their place.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement