Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of electricity

Options
  • 27-01-2012 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hopefully I've posted this in the correct place!

My electricity bill came this morning and I am looking for opinions as to whether it is a bit on the high side or just average...

164 euro for two adults and one small child. Our last bill was about 20 euro cheaper so I suppose the extra on this bill is related to christmas lights etc.

Are other peoples electricity bills this high? We use Bord Gais.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Could be also the VAT increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Happyzebra

You might be right. I had forgotten about that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Happyzebra, if you can pay this bill online I would recommend paying about €20-30 each week into the account. You won't really notice it gone, but then you won't get as much of a shock when the bill arrives.

Our bills are usually a little higher than yours, though I didn't get this month's bill yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accomodation & Property

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

This would be usually your highest electricity bill of the year... No suprise!

Xmas lights, darkest time of year Nov / Dec => lights on more often, electric heating etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Anyone know of a simple laid out electricity prices website. One that has links to proof of its claims on prices? I was looking at 3 recently and they alll seemed to recommend different products as the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

OP, is this for a month or 2? Also, I assume you only have electricity for everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Happyzebra

Thanks for the replies.

Icepick we have gas heating and are billed bi monthly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Is it an estimated reading or an actual one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

As said that's likely to be your highest bill of the year.

You can cut it down a bit but with standing charges, there comes a point when you're not realy saving much at all

• Advertisement
Advertisement