Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's doing the Single Lifts?

Options
  • 27-01-2012 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering who is doing the GPC or IDFPA single lift competitions on the 4th February?

How are you prepared? How's training, recovery etc going?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Wood

Training and diet was going great until saturday of last week, enter chest infection, head cold and cough town, so naturally I moved on to lying in bed eating pringles.

I won't have enough time to get back down to the 100kg, so i'll have to lift 110kg, I'll be looking to pull 250 if i can shake the head cold/infection thing, if not probably 230.

Balls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Where are the GPC lifts on this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I'm also doing IDFPAs and, much like Wood, training and diet were going well enough til the other week when I got sick. Missed all but one session last week and that went terribly. Back on form this week but I've defo fallen behind where I wanted to be on squat and deads. Bench is going well enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Wood

Patrickswell Powerlifting Club

Wood wrote: »
    Patrickswell Powerlifting Club

I'll be in for a look so

Da za you doing these? equipped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Doing the IDFPA one, yeah.

Things are going okay. My bench hasn't really budged in the last while, might just manage 115kg for a 2.5kg PB.

Squatting's been fine, I haven't been able for as much volume as when I did Smolov last year but I'm more comfortably working with slightly heavier weights. Would be happy to get 210kg or more.

Barely been deadlifting but should be good for just about 220kg.

Too bad for me the comp isn't happening several weeks later or I'd probably be able to make 90kg continuing this diet. Ah well.

Having to wear some kind of shoes when squatting will be weird actually. I should practice that before the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

Great stuff guys, hope it all goes well. Rest up and be ready to SFW

Drift, I don't know what I'm at yet. May go to the IDFPA's to watch and help a mate or could end up down in Patrickswell. Who knows hahaha

Should be watching some lifting anyway

let me know if your down my neck of the woods anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭daveyc21

Ironside have a pretty good team going down. I think four guys and two girls. Mainly teenage and younger guys and girls. idfpas are usually a good start point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Wood wrote: »
    Training and diet was going great until saturday of last week, enter chest infection, head cold and cough town, so naturally I moved on to lying in bed eating pringles.

That's spooky, I was struck down by the same horrible ****ing dose last Saturday and all. Only feeling right today and training for the IDFPA's has been a bit ****ed as a result.

Did you give me some sort of STI-over-internet?

• Advertisement

^^Yeah yeah, blame the internet for your aids. Update: as of today, I have realised I'm gonna perform **** at this. Should be a laugh though. Will make sure to get mightily hammered afterwards.

where is the IDFPA ones on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

Things are going okay. My bench hasn't really budged in the last while, might just manage 115kg for a 2.5kg PB.

Squatting's been fine, I haven't been able for as much volume as when I did Smolov last year but I'm more comfortably working with slightly heavier weights. Would be happy to get 210kg or more.

Too bad for me the comp isn't happening several weeks later or I'd probably be able to make 90kg continuing this diet. Ah well.

Having to wear some kind of shoes when squatting will be weird actually. I should practice that before the day.

what weight class are you lifting in?

where is the IDFPA ones on?

All I know is Gorey. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭COH

Had half a notion of doing the GPC bench raw, just to stay competing while i rest up the back ...but stress of skipping work and college travelling to Limerick to bench only!

Gorey...thats like in a different country its so far away

GASMANN wrote: »

what weight class are you lifting in?
    It'll be the 100kg class I guess

Gorey...thats like in a different country its so far away

It's practically France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

IPOs are in Limerick also. Will miss seeing that aswell so...
    IPO NATIONAL POWERLIFTING CHAMPIONSHIP 2012

DATE: Sat 31/03/2012

VENUE: Patrickswell Powerlifting club,

It's practically France.

Ya..I dont like the french so ill just go watch the GPC's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

daveyc21 wrote: »
    Ironside have a pretty good team going down. I think four guys and two girls. Mainly teenage and younger guys and girls. idfpas are usually a good start point.

Dave, the girls that are going down are they competing in the Junior or Open catergory And, also, what weight category??? All the questions :D:D
    I LOVE competition:D:D
    (Won't be competing in either single lifts myself...but maybe something later on in the year!)

I had a read through the rulebook a while back but I still just wanted to check one of two things about the IDFPA:

(unequipped)
    I can't wear elbow sleeves for any lift
    I definitely can't wear knee anythings for any lift
    I can wear wrist wraps, for everything, without the thumb loop on
    I must wear shoes for everything
    I must wear socks over shins when deadlifting

At the bottom of my bench and squat I have to wait for some call to complete the rep? At the lockout of my deadlift I have to wait for some call to put it down?

Are some of those wrong? I know I should know these... cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I think the knee wraps are just shorter for equipped lifts. 2m only or something.

I'm sure drifter or hanley will clarify.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I had a read through the rulebook a while back but I still just wanted to check one of two things about the IDFPA:

(unequipped)

At the bottom of my bench and squat I have to wait for some call to complete the rep? At the lockout of my deadlift I have to wait for some call to put it down?

I haven't looked at the rulebook but I don't think wrist wraps would be allowed for the deadlift, rules could have changed though.

You should be given a press command or a clap at the bottom of the bench. A down command after completing the deadlift (keep your hands on the bar for a second after lowering it too). For the squat, you'll be given a squat command at the start of it and a rack command after completing it.

May have got a couple of details wrong there,e.g. a press or clap, it's been a few years since I lifted. Just listen to the referees and if you're in any doubt, ask them before hand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

(unequipped)

All correct except for the squat - you're told to start ("squat"), you go down as deep as you think you need and come back up when you want, ie immediately, you're told to put it back at the top when you display control of the weight ("rack"). If your feet move anywhere between tho two commands, fail city.

There may be a "start" command, there is a press/clap command and there is a "rack" command.

EDIT: wrist wraps are allowed in the DL and can actually help with your grip. Straps are not.
    squod wrote: »
    I think the knee wraps are just shorter for equipped lifts. 2m only or something.

I'm sure drifter or hanley will clarify.........

Weirdest made up rule ever?!

IDFPA equipped - 2m knee wraps only

GPC raw and equipped - 2.5-3m knees wraps maybe?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭COH

I dont think 3m wraps are allowed in the GPC.. but the award for weirdest rule ever is still not being allowed wrist wraps in the GPC raw squat or deadlift

/chip on shoulder :D

On a side note VIS looks set for a monster pull at the IDFPA

COH wrote: »
    I dont think 3m wraps are allowed in the GPC.. but the award for weirdest rule ever is still not being allowed wrist wraps in the GPC raw squat or deadlift

/chip on shoulder :D

On a side note VIS looks set for a monster pull at the IDFPA

How did he bypass the old no other fed competing rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

He's on their poster!!
    Would look horrendous if they didn't let him lift.

Also, as he hasn't lifted in GPC in 2012 yet, I doubt he's a current member of GPC.

Time will tell I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Originally Posted by daveyc21 viewpost.gif
    gymfreak wrote: »
    Dave, the girls that are going down are they competing in the Junior or Open catergory And, also, what weight category??? All the questions :D:D
    I LOVE competition:D:D
    (Won't be competing in either single lifts myself...but maybe something later on in the year!)

You must of missed my post!!! Come on, I'm curious! ITs fantastic that I might be having competition in the future!!! Category?? Weight Class???

• Advertisement

gymfreak wrote: »
    You must of missed my post!!! Come on, I'm curious! ITs fantastic that I might be having competition in the future!!! Category?? Weight Class???

Sorry about that I reckon both of them will be around the high 50's low 60's. Junior and open. I think they may only do the squat and deadlift to start as we have only had them a few weeks. I reckon both will hit 80-110kg in the squat and 115-135kg in the deadlift. Obviously still complete novices coming from training in westwood to Ironside but a few months down the line these numbers should be significantly better.

Advertisement