Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Snap, T0-180Hours Only

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

They dish the GFS unmercifully on NW until it promises snow, and then all is forgiven and forgotten.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Why do met eireann rely primarily on the ECM? The gfs show the easterly reaching Ireland but its not reflected in their forecast.

Su was saying last week that they take a blend of 5 different models for there forecasting

They use the ECMWF, UKMO, DWD, Hirlam and Harmonie if I remember correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Su was saying last week that they take a blend of 5 different models for there forecasting

They use the ECMWF, UKMO, DWD, Hirlam and Harmonie if I remember correctly

Any why not the Gfs if it can give some guidance? Seems to be a big hit on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Yes it is the most accurate of the medium term models, which is why i wont get excited until the ECM backs the GFS.

Have to agree, If the UKMO and Ecm agree its game over, Even if the GFS is putting us into the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

Any why not the Gfs if it can give some guidance? Seems to be a big hit on here!

Under US law the charts are open to the public, whereas the ECM charge. That's why you see a lot of information on GFS charts on forums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Only because it's showing cold now! Few weeks ago the ECM was and the GFS said mild. Everyone on here was dishing it and saying it no good after 3 days out, and now look!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

A little video of how the GFS 6z and 12z evolved

The thought provoking aspect of both of those videos is the massive proportion of green and colder that's sloshing around in all directions, with incursions from the south on a regular basis.

Anyone that's going to stick their neck out and give definitive forecasts at the moment is very brave indeed, to say this is a knife edge situation is like comparing a surgeon's scalpel to a child's dinner knife:D

There are times when the difference between the cutting edge and the bleeding edge is nothing more than the pressure that's applied, and right now, I think we've seen 1060 Mb over Siberia? That sounds to me like significant pressure indeed :D;)

Moderating this for sure is going to be FUN:D

Dealing with some of the nervous breakdowns if it doesn't happen at 21:17 on a particular day with 2.7745 cms of dry snow from a wind direction of 093 degrees at 16.7 Kts ........... I think you know where I'm coming from.

Whatever, keep having fun, and congratulations on the promotion. :)

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Hmm, not really an outlier as was suspected !! :pac:

graphe_ens3_jlg8.gif

Or maybe it is in the later parts of the run !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Both the control and op are outliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Yahew wrote: »
    Both the control and op are outliers.

As far as I'm aware they are both at a higher resolution than the rest of the perturbations in the ensembles so it is seen as a good sign when the control agrees with the operational run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Re the various models and the differences, this is an interesting read, hopefully it's out of date at this stage but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not.

This bit might be relevant to the differences between the 0z/12z and 6z/18z
    Look at model trends. If the low pressure moved east with this run, what did it do the run before that? For the GFS, look at a couple days of 00Z and 12Z runs for consistency. Avoid the 06Z and 18Z runs when 00 or 12 is available; in the U.S. these runs don't include the weather balloon network data (balloons are only sent up twice per day), and are therefore radically different and more likely to have bias.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

ECM is coming out now. Be surprised if this was not broadly similar to the UKMO as is normally the case but we'll see.

Oh dear...:(
    190253.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's a us model and i suspect they don't feel as confident that it handles easterly evolutions as well as the european models do. there has been that suggestion in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

It was expected to be a mild outlier, But it's good to see the control run along with it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Oh dear...:(
    190253.png

Looking at the charts it has a low just blowing through the blocking high in FI alright, hopefully not a trend that continues

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

@ ffarrel
    Sky News Alerts? Lets not jump the gun here...Vigilance methinks

Looking at the charts it has a low just blowing through the blocking high in FI alright, hopefully not a trend that continues

The ECM, GEM and NOGAPS have been showing this happening aswell.

Matthew Hugo @MattHugo81 Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    UKMO quite poor this evening but another stunning GFS Det run & ECM Det starting off very well as well! -

Rtavn961.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's the way the UKMO outlook currently see it. Su campu mentioned a few days ago that he thought this is what would happen. He looks to have been spot on. There is the possibility of it not happening, but it really doesn't look good when there is a consensus between the three for this to happen. Hopefully some places will see snow before it does.

• Advertisement

In Deep FI I wont get too worried , but the trend is not looking great for a prolonged cold spell,

Its similar to the great charts being posted last night from the GFS, the serious cold in FI again I would not be fully expecting them verify.

Upgrade on the ECM at 96hrs

Recm961.gif

Very chilly continental flow at the surface. Bitter Siberian air racing westward. Good start, that's the main thing.

EDIT: Maybe we won't quite get exceptionally cold 850's this far west on this run but it is better then the 00z.

Meteociel starting to grind to a halt again, must be a lot of snow bunnies on there !

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

darkman2 wrote: »
    Upgrade on the ECM at 96hrs

Recm961.gif

Very chilly continental flow at the surface. Bitter Siberian air racing westward. Good start, that's the main thing.

Still progressing nicely at 120hrs

oterra wrote: »

I think this may represent the limit of progress on this run

Recm1202.gif

Recm1442.gif

Like I say it's better then the 00z and that's the main thing.

Comparison at 144:

GFS +144

gfs-2012012812-1-144_hzr9.png

gfs-2012012812-0-144_uch5.png

ECM +144

ECM0-144_ifz6.GIF

ECM1-144_zzr0.GIF

And the ECM once again goes with low heights trying to blow the western part of the high apart. I suspect this will be quite close to reality. Most models have that solution.

Luckily on this ECM run it fails somewhat and we do get a nice result out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

oterra wrote: »

ECM looks a lot better to me than it's earlier 0z run. At +144hrs (next Friday) there is a pool of -8c upper air over the eastern half of Ireland and even a small pool of -10c air. Nice to see anyway even if it doesn't pan out that way :)

http://meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php?ech=144&mode=0&map=0&type=0&archive=0

And the ECM once again goes with low heights trying to blow the western part of the high apart. I suspect this will be quite close to reality. Most models have that solution.

Luckily on this ECM run it fails somewhat and we do get a nice result out of it!

At what point would you now deem the charts to be in FI territory ?

Its getting had to keep up with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Loooooooooooooooook at the cold pool:D:D

ECM0-144.GIF

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement