Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Snap, T0-180Hours Only

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Here is what all 50 members of the ECM show for midday Tuesday.
    Some members show the snow threat low at a more favourable angle.

http://www.ecmwf.int/samples/d/getchart/catalog/samplers/banner/mean_sea_level_pressure_and_temperature_at_850hpa!48!pop!od!enfo!enplot!2012012912!!chart.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

To add to what trogdor has posted-

We should also be paying more attention to the parallel ensembles- they
    Will be taking over from the main ones soon, same story with the op/control run too.

Only problem is I can only find the parallel ensembles for london so dont compare directly to the above^^

graphe_ens3.php?x=306&ext=1&y=141&run=18&ville=Londres&runpara=1

Here are the operational ensembles for london too- Amazing difference between The two!! Much closer agreement on the parallel ensembles

graphe_ens3_mhz6.gif

Haha Never noticed the snow risk percentage at the bottom before. :)

Dan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    To add to what trogdor has posted-

We should also be paying more attention to the parallel ensembles- they
    Will be taking over from the main ones soon, same story with the op/control run too.

Only problem is I can only find the parallel ensembles for london so dont compare directly to the above^^

http://176.31.229.228/modeles/gens/graphe_ens3.php?x=306&ext=1&y=141&run=18&ville=Londres&runpara=1

Here are the operational ensembles for london too- Amazing difference between The two!! Much closer agreement on the parallel ensembles

http://images.meteociel.fr/im/2808/graphe_ens3_mhz6.gif

This GFS Parellel is something i've compeltely missed out on! Had seen it mentioned before but never put any pass on it.

Here's the parallel ensembles for dublin, much nicer than the actual GEFS actually!
    graphe_ens3_cof1.gif

Ps
    Couldn't actually find a direct link for the parallel ensembles but if you have a meteociel link for the normal GEFS adding "&runpara=1" without quotations to the end of the url will change it over the GEFS parallel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Changed URL so this is static. A bit FI at 5 days but looks good all the same.

0b4c2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Recent map shows the extent of the bitterly cold "Siberian" air currently over eastern Poland and western Ukraine:

http://www.uni-koeln.de/math-nat-fak/geomet/meteo/winfos/euisoTTPPWW00.gif

Anyone wanting to see six-hourly updates could take that link and just change the 00.gif to 06.gif etc, expect the updates to load around 2h30min after standard map times. In other words, if you want to see 06z then try this after 0830z.

Anyone expecting upgrades? I am, for it is my way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Recent map shows the extent of the bitterly cold "Siberian" air currently over eastern Poland and western Ukraine:

http://www.uni-koeln.de/math-nat-fak/geomet/meteo/winfos/euisoTTPPWW00.gif

Anyone wanting to see six-hourly updates could take that link and just change the 00.gif to 06.gif etc, expect the updates to load around 2h30min after standard map times. In other words, if you want to see 06z then try this after 0830z.

Anyone expecting upgrades? I am, for it is my way.

We don't have much longer to wait for the GFS 0Z so upgrades on the cards we hope. You mentioned the cold in Poland and the Ukraine and it sure is a deep pool spread over a wide area. Was checking the Wundermap just now and -16c in much of Poland and near -20c in Ukraine and also Lithuania.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Out to 144 and this GFS run is way better than yesterday's 12z! Atlantic held at bay, Scandi high re-exerting itself. Overall a good run i would say. Get the cold in first then worry about snow potential ;)

Edit:On the other hand UKMO 0Z run is not great with a warm up by weekend.

190480.png

190481.png

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

00z GFS much better. Atlantic tries to break through next weekend - and it just about does (not as rampant as yesterday) but front falls apart over Ireland - we hang on to the colder air and the atlantic may just give us enough moisture for an epic snowstorm. ;)

ECM 0Z great up to 96hrs then the breakdown begins. UKMO and ECM similar with their 0Z runs.Mixed feelings about the big three 0Z runs. GFS by far the best overall.

190482.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

ECM fine till 96 hours, Then the atlantic comes crashing threw, UKMO the same story, GFS 00z not as bad as the European models holds the alantic back a bit longer, Not looking great so far come the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

ECM fine till 96 hours, Then the atlantic comes crashing threw, UKMO the same story, GFS 00z not as bad as the European models holds the alantic back a bit longer, Not looking great so far come the weekend.

Met Eireann seem to havve gone with the gfs solution this morning! Lol :)

"Very cold, frosty, icy nights with temperatures plummeting to between -2 to -7 degrees and the danger of some freezing fog also. There is a good deal of uncertainty about the prospects for the following few days as there will be a battle going on between the very cold air coming from the east and the milder air coming in off the Atlantic. The latest indications suggest it will become less cold especially in western areas during Friday and Saturday with rain moving in off the Atlantic and spreading eastwards, however a danger exists that this could bring some snow further east if the cold air persists in more midland and eastern areas."

Looking very dodgy without ECM and UKMO on board for weekend though!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

Next weekend is still way out in FI IMO. GFS alot better with the Atlantic weakening. I think a better picture will be had by Wednesday.
    Remember the models don't determine the weather its the other way around, so all subject to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Ryan Maue
    Very hard to find an ensemble from GFS or CMC over next 15- days that shows much warming in Europe. Temp composites:

http://policlimate.com/weather/ensemble/gens_swath_europe.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

oterra wrote: »
    Next weekend is still way out in FI IMO. GFS alot better with the Atlantic weakening. I think a better picture will be had by Wednesday.
    Remember the models don't determine the weather its the other way around, so all subject to change.
    I agree totally, the weekend is too far away and the Atlantic is in a weak state, I think this will be a now cast. Interesting times ahead, but a least it's better than the mild muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

So is the risk of snow now gone for today and tomorrow?

If we were to get any when should it be expected? I know there is no sure answer.

Just to need know for work

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Hi,

This evening rain should turn to sleet in the East as temperatures fall away through the day. They are at the maximum for the day now and will drop to low single figures by nightfall. Sleet may turn to snow for a time tonight before clearing southwards tomorrow morning/afternoon. Very cold tonight in the East and North. Temperatures dropping to around freezing maybe a little above. Milder further West.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

darkman2 wrote: »
    Hi,

This evening rain should turn to sleet in the East as temperatures fall away through the day. They are at the maximum for the day now and will drop to low single figures by nightfall. Sleet may turn to snow for a time tonight before clearing southwards tomorrow morning/afternoon. Very cold tonight in the East and North. Temperatures dropping to around freezing maybe a little above. Milder further West.

Just wondering DM2 what is your view of the models this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Slight West shift here again

* May have a handful of straws

Just wondering DM2 what is your view of the models this morning?

I'd go along word for word with what Met Éireann said. Seems a perfect summary to me. From now until Friday will be progressively colder - all models agree on that. Snow showers likely in the East and South facing coasts on Wednesday and Thursday. These could give a dusting or more due to icy conditions and light winds. Exceptionally cold nights - I think somewhere will get close to -10c in the second half of the week. Very severe frosts, snow event(s) possible next weekend.

GFS/GEM best output to support this. ECM in between. UKMO very progressive. Nothing nailed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Yeah there's a bit of a westward movement again on the 6z so far. Also just looking at the 6z precipitation so far, it looks pretty good for snow tomorrow in the east and south as the front drops sw and away. Do people think this is a possibility? ME etc talk of sleet etc but this looks like possibly the real deal. Would be great to start the spell with snow. With lying snow temps can drop far lower as far as I am aware.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It is quite interesting that in the short term things are getting shifted further west.

Still no idea how things will progress near 108 onwards

It is quite interesting that in the short term things are getting shifted further west.

Still no idea how things will progress near 108 onwards

Don't knock it ! Changes in the reliable is what we need here :)

Much better run, nice shift west in the cold

gfs-2012013006-1-78_nlx3.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

What are the prospects of rain turning to snow in eastern Donegal tonight?
    cheers in advance

Chart for tomorrow shows a snow risk over Donegal but probably mainly over the hills, the usual roads like Barnesmore, Meenaroy etc could be effected but I wouldn't really expect much on lower ground. This week seems near impossible to give an accurate forecast for though so don't be too surprised if I'm wrong!

120131123000.gif

A considerable shift westward on the 06Z GFS, most of the country under -8C upper temps, east coast not far off -12C, gonna be an interesting week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

6z is good in the shorter more reliable term.

Eastern England peeps will be happy!

Another excellent GFS run. 0z and 6z similar but cold moving further West and deeper on the 6Z.I think its safe to say now that it will be a very interesting 4 or 5 days ahead. Lets see what the ECM and UKMO deliver later.

GFS illustrates the risk again of possible snowfall event for next weekend if the cold air hangs on long enough.

gfs-2012013006-2-144.png?6

gfs-2012013006-2-150.png?6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Another excellent GFS run. 0z and 6z similar but cold moving further West and deeper on the 6Z.I think its safe to say now that it will be a very interesting 4 or 5 days ahead. Lets see what the ECM and UKMO deliver later.

Yes it seems to have become a trend for the cold to be getting further west and lasting longer into this weekend. :) It was only a few days ago that the cold spell this week was modelled to barely reach Ireland and since then the length of it keeps getting extended.

Even out at 156hrs it's still hanging on. Very good run for coldies.

gfs-2012013006-1-156.png?6

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Four charts showing the drop off in temp as the week goes on. Taking each morning at 9am.

06_27_uk2mtmpmin.png?dt=30January%2020121021:05

Wed 9am

06_51_uk2mtmpmin.png?dt=30January%2020121026:39

Thurs 9am

06_75_uk2mtmpmin.png?dt=30January%2020121029:56

Fri 9am

06_99_uk2mtmpmin.png?dt=30January%2020121028:35

Looking good at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement