Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Snap, T0-180Hours Only

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

baraca wrote: »
    Why is the DWD also known as the GME?
    DWD stands for Deutscher Wetterdienst (German Weather Service) but the name of the model is GME (Globalmodell). DWD run the GME

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭whataboutnow

Su Campu wrote: »
    DWD stands for Deutscher Wetterdienst (German Weather Service) but the name of the model is GME (Globalmodell). DWD run the GME

Hi,What is your latest opinion for the rest of this months cold weather prospects.thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

Gfs and Ecm edging towards a Scandi high establishing over the next 6-8 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Su Campu wrote: »

Hi,What is your latest opinion for the rest of this months cold weather prospects.thanks in advance[/Quote

No chance. mild and damp from here on unfortunately. the Atlantic is full steam ahead. No current charts for the rest of the winter really support any cold that could deliver snow.

Its been a disaster for snow lovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

To Alcohol wrote: »

Hi,What is your latest opinion for the rest of this months cold weather prospects.thanks in advance[/Quote

No chance. mild and damp from here on unfortunately. the Atlantic is full steam ahead. No current charts for the rest of the winter really support any cold that could deliver snow.

Its been a disaster for snow lovers.

Very misleading- The atlantic is anything but full steam ahead!!? Show me a chart with a strong jet that isnt in lala land?? And there are plenty of charts to support a very cold spell developing sometime in Feb! :)

Dan :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 percy100

Hi All, Have been watching these threads all winter... havent posted anything because I aint that weather data savvy (yet!) Could someone please post the absolute basic conditions for snow? ( dew point, pressure, temp etc) I got a weather station for xmas and I want to start putting it to some serious use!! :) Cheers folks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

No great shakes this morning.

Breakdown firmed up, for Ireland anyway ;)

Hard frost tonight.

Temperatures upto 3-6c tomorrow.

Cooling down in the evening.

Rain spreading from the west late evening and overnight.

Falling as sleet or snow in the north midlands and Ulster for a short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

percy100 wrote: »
    Hi All, Have been watching these threads all winter... havent posted anything because I aint that weather data savvy (yet!) Could someone please post the absolute basic conditions for snow? ( dew point, pressure, temp etc) I got a weather station for xmas and I want to start putting it to some serious use!! :) Cheers folks

Percy, have a looked at some of the pinned/stickied threads above, particularly the "Beginners Guide to reading...." one. Has all of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Just as a little aside (mods, scold/ban me if you must), but yesterday was the first day since the 22nd of July 2011 (225 days ago) when no, or at most, trace, precipitation was recorded at any of the met eireann's hourly reporting synoptic stations as on the latest and yesterday's weather page:

http://www.met.ie/latest/yesterday.asp

although Dunsany, which only reports on a daily basis, did report 0.1mm on the 22nd of July last.

Frontal analysis for the 22nd July at noon. Ireland lay under a slack ridge:

191047.png

Model outlook wise, looks like the ECMWF is sticking to its guns and keeping us dominated by Atlantic ridges with the odd flirt with a weak front or two for the foreseeable.

168hrs chart:
    191048.png

And if that isn't exciting enough, temps look to be around average for the time of year as well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

12Z rolling out. Cold looks a little more pronounced and the atlantic air mass looks suppressed a little. Looks like there might be a small delay on the incoming systems. Lets see how the rest roll out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Enderman wrote: »
    12Z rolling out. Cold looks a little more pronounced and the atlantic air mass looks suppressed a little. Looks like there might be a small delay on the incoming systems. Lets see how the rest roll out

Small shifts alright, what this mean down the line lets see !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Bit of a stall on the system but nothing drastic. About a 10% chance of snowfall before turning to rain VERY quickly :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Potential for a huge amount of snow from this weekend on into next week for certain parts of England if the GFS 12z verifies; I'd say their metoffice is getting very worried - will be a nightmare to forecast.

Even though we won't be getting anything out of this, it's good to see the cold block over Europe holding its ground this much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

12 UKMO 144hrs. I go back to what I was saying yesterday. The block to the East is not going anywhere and it's not beyond possibility we could get another shot at an Easterly next week.

UW144-21.GIF?02-17

UN144-21.GIF?02-17

Let's see if the trend continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

Not too dissimilar to my recent post in the FI thread from the GFS Control run for Saturday next week... snowlercoaster tickets anyone?!

GFS control run going for undercutting low as early as 114hrs

gens-0-1-114.png?12

gens-0-0-132.png?12

Big moment I think. May be the start of a broader swing in the models. Re-establish the block and the jet stream plays ball for an undercutting Atlantic low. Weathercheck will be happy ;)

EDIT: MANY of the ensemble members support this at around 120hrs.

Models have changed big time this afternoon for the timeframe 96 - 120hrs. GEM 12z going for undercutting aswell now by 144hrs. Increasingly likely we will have an Easterly next week if this trend continues. GFS/GEM and UKMO all going that direction. ECM will be interesting later.

Hopefully it is a trend its torcher watching nearly everywhere in Europe getting decent snow falls apart from our little island.

No there has been a definate shift. This time next week I suspect you will not be feeling left.;)

darkman2 wrote: »
    GFS control run going for undercutting low as early as 114hrs

Darkman, what is the GFS 'control run' and how does it differ from its operational output? I genuinely am clueless on this. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Here's the GEM with that undercutting low at 144h

2ajtcur.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

No there has been a definate shift. This time next week I suspect you will not be feeling left.;)

Fingers crossed your are right about the shift looking at the UKMO 12z run, Sunday is looking a lot colder than what Met Eireann are predicting.

UN72-7.GIF?02-17

Darkman, what is the GFS 'control run' and how does it differ from its operational output? I genuinely am clueless on this. :o

Woot:eek:

Ok, well i'm no expert in the intricacies of computer modelling but the operational run is the highest resolution run and takes conditions as they are at 00hrs. The control run is the key run of 20 members in the ensemble suite of the GFS because it also takes conditions as they are at 00hrs. All the 21 ensemble members, including the control run, are run at a lower resolution. The difference between the control run and the other 20 ensemble members is that the others use a different initial condition and therefore send out slightly different outcomes initially which get wider as the time period extends (+96, +120 etc). The control run is basically a lower resolution run that uses the same starting point as the operational run whereas the rest of the suite does not. So in theory at least the control run should normally be in sync with the operational run broadly. When they diverge at such an early stage so dramatically you can tell something is up.

Folks a few GFS ensembles show this type of set up at T96

Absolutely ludicrous

gens-6-1-96.png?12

Woot:eek:.

Well explained DM, nice one! The control run is something I have never looked at before myself but at least now I know what it is and what to consider when others refer to them. :)

ECM at T48, appears to be saying no to major clawback!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Lots of the ensembles showing some serious cold over Ireland. Very interesting change from previous recent runs.

gens160174.png

gens60132.png

gens50162.png

gens30138.png

gens20162.png

ECM @ 120hrs

Recm1201.gif

EDIT: does not quite make it at 144hrs. In fact it's a bit of a mess.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

ECM @ 120hrs

Recm1201.gif

Should undercut from the Atlantic. *I hope I have not jinxed it!

When you talk about the undercut , are we looking for that little low to do something like this ?

191114.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

More to the NE pete, Along the direction of the bay of biscay or the channel

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement