Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPod Nano dead after flight

• 27-01-2012 12:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭

My old iPod Nano is lifeless following a flight to Canaries and back, not a gig out of it. It was working fine before I went. I didn't use it as I also had a newer one (a present). Tried drying it out in the hot press and leaving it on charge - nothing. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Did you get it wet? Why dry it out in the hotpress? Did you use it at altitude out of interest?

I ask because the maximum operating altitude for an ipod is: 10,000 feet (3000 m).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Title makes it sound like you're blaming the altitude but then you dry it in the hot press?
    What happened? We need to know what went wrong before we can suggest how to fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Have you held the Home and Power button down together for 10 seconds? This should kick into gear again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Keedowah wrote: »
    Did you get it wet? Why dry it out in the hotpress? Did you use it at altitude out of interest?

I ask because the maximum operating altitude for an ipod is: 10,000 feet (3000 m).

Air pressure inside a plane is the equivalant of about 5,000 feet so shouldn't cause any damage to an electronic device regardless of the actual altitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭ajmull

Its working again now. Not quite sure why, but I had a bottle of water in the bag in the cabin of the plane with me and I wondered if that had something to do with it. It didn't obviously leak, but! Maybe it has dried out? Anyway thanks for the help. Alls well that ends well.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 148 ✭✭franciebellew

The next time your flying at high altitudes keep the iPod in your pocket. It protects it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The next time your flying at high altitudes keep the iPod in your pocket. It protects it

:confused:

Utter rubbish statement imo

vicwatson wrote: »
    :confused:

Utter rubbish statement imo

Seems like its your opinion that's utter rubbish. I keep mine in pocket all the time while flying and have had no issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Seems like its your opinion that's utter rubbish. I keep mine in pocket all the time while flying and have had no issues

Just because you have had no issues with it in your pocket does not mean it is the pocket that is preventing it from having issues.

Woden wrote: »
    Just because you have had no issues with it in your pocket does not mean it is the pocket that is preventing it from having issues.

I accept that but it's quite possible. It's worth a try for the op. it works for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Protects it from what exactly?

The cabin altitude in any pressurised modern air transport aircraft will never exceed 8000ft unless in an emergency situation (oxygen masks drop around 13,000ft). Most electronic devices guarantee operation to 10,000ft. The cargo bays on aircraft are also pressurised (but not necessarily heated) so even if you put it in your checked in luggage the conditions will still not go outside of the designed operating parameters.

Also, iPads are approved for aviation use so have had to satisfy huge reliability requirements in order to achieve this approval so it says a lot about the construction of all Apple products.

I accept that but it's quite possible. It's worth a try for the op. it works for me

It only 'works' for you because it hasn't been affected by some as yet unidentified threat, what on earth are you talking about?

Keeping it your pocket simply means that it will be at or near body temperature, it will not affect the air pressure and effectively will do absolutely nothing to 'protect' it.

Do you keep it under the pillow at night - what exactly are you protecting it from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Well done you but the factual point is that having it in your pocket is NOT the reason why you don't have any problems with it:rolleyes:.

If you can explain the science as to why keeping it in your pocket protects it I'd love to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Keedowah wrote: »
    Did you use it at altitude out of interest?

I never knew this.... I have quite happily used my ipod at 12605 ft / 3842m (not in a plane) and have never had an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Of course I wasn't suggesting that using it on a plane was the cause of an issue!

We were travelling in Bolivia a few years ago and met a few people that had issues - La Paz is at about 12,000 ft

I never knew this.... I have quite happily used my ipod at 12605 ft / 3842m (not in a plane) and have never had an issue.

I too have used an iPhone and iPad outside of the pressure altitude listed in the specs (in an unpressurised aircraft). They're only really a guideline anyway, it's not going to break at 10,001 ft. ;) Apple simply guarantee fully normal operations up to 10,000ft. After that if it doesn't work they you have no grounds for complaint.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

OP, I keep mine wrapped in a silk sheet and only play classical music if I'm on a plane. No issues with it at all. Also, I've found (unrelated note) that hopping on one leg while petting your pet dog, seems to protect the dog. No issues with my dog yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Alright lads, point made. Lets try to get back to the topic.

Apple seem to have that 10,000 feet 'Maximum Operating Altitude' limit for all models of iPod and iPhone.

The only circumstances I'm aware of where altitude makes a difference is to hard disk drives, I can't see how a device with all solid-state electronics can be affected by thin air, unless there is an issue with overheating where the air is too thin to carry away the heat. However given that you can use these devices while they're in your pocket and they don't overheat, I'm really at a loss as why there is any limit for, for example, the iPod nano or iPod Touch or any model of iPhone.

When you use a device with a hard disk drive at a high altitude, the air pressure can be so low that the air 'cushion' between the read/write heads and the disk surface loses it's effectiveness which could lead to the heads touching and scraping the disk platter surface, this is known as a 'head crash' and is fatal. In the normal course of events the hydrophobic membrane fitted to all disk drives allows air (but not water vapour or dust) to flow in and out of the enclosure so as to equalise the air pressure and prevent stress on the enclosure. This means that the air inside a HDD is typically maintained at the same pressure as the outside.

For a disk to be certified to operate at extremely high altitudes, the enclosure needs to be pressurised and sealed (even for air flow) and it needs to be ruggedised to withstand extreme changes in outside air pressure, normal HDD enclosures are not manufactured to this tolerance.

Keeping your phone/ipod/etc in your pocket when flying is also going to potentially lead to dust ingress behind the screen. :eek: Especially if you keep dusty tissues in the same pocket. ;)

Reason being that when landing the ever so slight air gaps between the glass and lcd will have a lower pressure than the surrounding air and this whatever is in the vicinity could get sucked in as the air pressures normalise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement