Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From zero to ???

Options
  • 27-01-2012 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

Finally after 7 months of zero exercise, I am ok to go .

Tuesday 24.01.2012 Walk 3 mins: slow run 2 mins.+W/U and C/D
    4 miles. About an hour. About 9 reps. All well.

Thursday 26.01.2012 Walk:run 3:2 etc did 10 reps 4.5 miles. All well.

Plan:
    Going to stick with this for another week and then go 3:3 before dropping to 2:3.

Hope to be ready to do a 5k Parkrun on March 10th even if I have to take walk breaks.
    Back for good :D and it feels :D:D:D

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Great to see you back at it missus. You'll be back to your normal madness in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Delighted to see you back. Onwards and upwards:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Seeing as I am starting from scratch again , its as good a time as any to make the conversion to kms. Felt fab at one stage during todays run when I saw 4.5 and I felt great.... until I remembered it wasnt miles :rolleyes:

All in 1:03 about 7.4kms

Fab snorkel this morning for about 50 minutes. Front of ankles and hips were punished from lack of sea legs.

Might have a little jog later. Still being very conservative as I couldnt face a stop again .

Fronts of shins recovering from sea thankfully.

7K walk:run 3:2 . Was with another beginner. Will go 2:3 next outing on Thursday.
    Would love to go everyday or at least a few more days in the week. 3 out of 7 seems a bit daft given how much it has recovered already and am way past risk of rupture.
    Given that im being ultra conservative and havent had even a twinge, It seems a bit OTT to hold back sooooo much.? Even the Operation Transformation big people are doing an hour a day.

• Advertisement

7km 2:3 walk, run. Through the woods so felt a bit tougher towards the end of the run parts. about 55 mins

I did a lot of stretching after Tuesdays run and the muscles I stretched have been sore , the ones I forgot are fine.

Really enjoying running again. Wish I could go out again later today . Can hardly wait until Saturday.

7.3km 54 mins.
    warm up , 2:3 walk run. and walked last bit to cool down. First sign of minor twinge at end .( had a few small hills on the way) 2 days rest now and will stick with this ratio until it gets easier.

Wore HRM for first time in months and was shocked at how my cardio fitness has disappeared.
    Previously my 9.30minute miles would have heart rate at comfy 150 with all out intervals speed or hills at a stomach churning 180+ but NOW:eek:
    Im over 150 on the walk and am closer to 175-180 on about a 10/11 minute miles jog.
    The 2 minute walk interval gets it back to 150 so I will stick with this until it improves.
    Definitley need to get more cardio training without putting more pressure on the leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Good to see you getting back into it H2T :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

, its as good a time as any to make the conversion to kms.

its never a good time,,,welcome bcak h2t,see u soon.

New route. Bit anxious since twingy last run.

Did 8km accidently as we got lost. Stuck religiously with walk 2: run 3 and leg felt great. Heart rate back to a better number as well.
    one hour and one minute incl w/up.

Got a bit sore stretching after, so think I will postpone stretching it until its a bit stronger. Did hams to compensate.

8km 1 hour

• Advertisement

Was smothered with cold and couldnt get out til today.

7km about 51 mins.

stuck to 2:3 walk run as i missed Thursday. Going for snorkel tomorrow. Will stick with this for one more week and then go for 1 walk and 4 run. Can hardly wait. HR back closer to normal today.

Good snorkel this am. Legs and shins much better and stronger.

Run later 9km 1:09 Felt fine. Will stick with this for another week. Decided against pool session this evening. Rest day tomorrow and then run Tuesday.
    Diet starts tomorrow, gulp. MIght try to do some of the operation transformation exercises , maybe:o. Badly need a routine and some discipline.

20 lengths in pool. Cant wait to run tomorrow.

8k, in about an hour. Strong wind into the face on the way back.
    Definitely not ready to drop the walk portion yet.

20 lengths pool again .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Fair Play, you're getting there. Wont be long before you are back on the Ultra training.

One continuous mile seems like Ultra training right now :(
    Still . left foot , right foot , repeat ...:)

running alone for a change. Decided to try a bit more so
    4X 1 mile continuous running with one minute walk break.
    Managed fine with no stiffness or soreness.
    But am afraid to chance that as my regular run yet. Am I being too cautious?

Friday
    22 lengths swim

Gym session.
    treadmill... run 5 minutes walk: one minute for best part of half hour. 4Km
    Niggle in inner thigh made me stop. Got this when I over stretched after run on tuesday. Did lots of hip strengthening and core work .

Not sure whether to stick with 3;2, 4:1, 5:1 or a mile:1

All guidance welcome.
    So far no pains or aches or even stiff or tired muscles

Monday
    22 lengths of swim

How come every time I do any kind of stretching it always causes problems for me . I know all the techniques and I know how to go about it but goddam if its not one part its another. Have woeful sciatica since doing hamstring and calf work at the weekend. It puts me right off doing any kind of stretching and yet i know its my lack of flexibility that is a large part of my tendency to wear things out prematurely.
    Think I will just stick with roller and massage for a while.

Cant wait to run again tonight :)

• Advertisement

9.2Km 59Mins

Run 5' : walk 1' NO problems.

I put a question up on marathon club members question area. I would be grateful for an opinion.
    Thanks

Bummer, I forget the details.
    It was only about half an hour or a bit more ?. Daughter wanted to take up running for lent so we did 3:1 run/walk . did about 4.5km. Was awfully tired today.Sleepy , dehydrated and Detox for lent and no stimulants :(

Friday 26 lengths of pool.

ADVICE NEEDED

Currently doing 3-4 days a week running. Now at 5:1 run/walk ( mostly) covering about 9km or an hour. NO problem , no stiff muscles yet or any soreness . Achilles has longstanding chronic degeneration but no risk of rupture ( MRI) . have also done 4x one mile run with no issues at all .

So with a view to getting to marathon distance safely asap, Do I ...

Stick with 5:1 and gradually increase the distance for all runs , say add 1km each run , until I am managing greater distances comfortably before dropping the distances and walking less.

Stick with 5:1 and stay with weekday runs of 9km and increase the weekend run by a mile a week for 3 out of 4 weeks( drop back week)

Increase the 5:1 to 7:1 and stick with hour time , until running 10:1

Final option stick with 5:1 doing 9km during the week and at the weekend run as many intervals comfortably as I can to see what my actual base level is and work out a schedule from there.

26 lengths of pool am

9km in 1:07 Did 3:2 because was with other beginners.

Fin connection broke as I was about to get into the sea , So had to borrow fins that didnt fit properly. Had hard hard fin and all muscles working max.Did a lot of self massage on calves and achilles after.

Feel so down and have no little psychological pick me ups or running to keep me in form with lent and restricted running.Bah.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭diddleyland

fair play to you for keeping going, you motivated me to get thru portumna marathon last yea:Dr after cramp at 11miles:mad:, i made it to the finish, but you encouraged me for so much of it!!! you are a running goddess DO NOT FORGET THAT:D:D:D:D:D

Thanks for that D.
    Will have to check the photos to identify you . I don't remember that at all.:o
    That was the breaking point for my poor Achilles I think. It only felt stiff and tight rather than pain , so I didn't recognize the symptoms at the time. Previously anything before that either hurt or niggled.

7km 45 mins. Run /walk 5:1

Have decided to keep weekday runs short and gradually ramp up weekend run, following Jeff Galloway style plan. Should get me to marathon distance ( all going well) by late summer/Autumn :D

28 lengths of pool.

7km :49 Did 5:1 run/walk.

Wednesday 28 lengths

Thursday 10k 1:08 Did first 5k with daughter going 3:2. then did an extra bit doing mostly 5:1 but put a few spurts on for a few of the 5 minute bits. Felt grand.
    Jut wondering if it would be total folly to do the limerick marathon given that they are allowing walkers to do it .

Friday swim 28 lengths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Jut wondering if it would be total folly to do the limerick marathon given that they are allowing walkers to do it .

Are you planning on walking or running the UL Bridge?

How comfortable do you think you'll be doing the full 26M if you have to do some walking?

Advertisement