Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From zero to ???

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Saturday 9th March. 20 Miles 3:40 :o

Felt like a a total slug with no activity of any sort since the race so I went down to Connemara to see if I could get into some routine again .
    Plan was to be very conservative and take it handy, and just enjoy the day . But got caught chatting to zbiggy, who refused to run on with the faster runners and who somehow got me to a nearly 10 mile PB for the year so far. NOT wise !. I should have stuck to my take it easy plan !!!:(

Eventually he moved on and I spluttered and battled til mile 20 .The calf was really sore and I didnt want to risk putting next weeks Tralee Marathon out of the running. So ,I hitched back to my car , getting a lift with a lovely lady over 70 who was just finishing her spinning class, and is in training for her final section of the Camino de Santiago this summer.!
    Great lesson learned today.

Very happy that feet were much improved. Still have no feeling in 4 toes and part of the balls of my feet. Pity they werent numb in Espoo and I might have run a bit further :rolleyes:

4:23 Marathon #51

Lovely day and very scenic course but would be tough on a windy or wet day as its quite exposed in places. Great local support and overall very well organised and to be recommended.

My plan was just to finish in one piece and would have been happy with 4.30 plus. I stuck with run/walk again from the second mile as I didn't think the legs would cope otherwise.
    I was happy I managed well overall and finished reasonably strongly considering lack of training and still with lingering niggles from the big jog. Very pleased with time but need to get fully recovered now so that I can start trying to get a bit faster.

Frustrated Moan follows :o

Since Tralee marathon I have made huge effort with cross training, mainly rowing , cross trainer, core work and short yoga workouts for beginners.

My two training runs yesterday ( 7.3 M) and today's ( 8.3M) have gone badly. My previous easy pace saw my Hr at 135 BPM and now for the same pace HR is about 176 for most of today's run.

8 weeks of no regular running has cost me dearly. Not only in lack of fitness but resting what I thought was a niggly hip has turned out to be sciatica.
    Yoga stretches have driven this demented so that I can hardly straighten my knee at all and have difficulty reaching my leg forward during a run. Same old problem , every time I try to improve my flexibility, it drives this crazy. Doesn't seem to matter how gently I take it . Grr
    If I had recognized this in the first place I would have kept running as it usually helps as long as it doesn't go too far.

Anyway, going to keep running as its only getting worse staying off . Rowing is off the agenda for sure. Not sure what to do about the yoga. Perhaps give it another try when I get the leg pain cleared. Am so disappointed, I had started to improve and could even get hands below kneecaps, sigh.:(

Fingers crossed tomorrow will be better :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

u down in conn next weekend.........

Yes. Will either run a lot .... or drink a lot (of cider).:rolleyes:

Going to get back up on the horse and stay going and I'm sure things will settle. I usually have a lot less pain when I am running regularly.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

go the cider route....as i dont want my arse handed to me on a plate again;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 speedymona

hi finn, you probablt sint rwmember me we chatted for a while ar d tralee marathon which was my number 3 , im una from dublin, your amazing, all d stuff you hace done, you must bw delighted with all your achievements, if i cld do 1/10 of what u have done i wold be happy, am struggling to get d miles up after tralee, am up to 6. any advice for a newbie.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 speedymona

hi finn, you probablt sint rwmember me we chatted for a while ar d tralee marathon which was my number 3 , im una from dublin, your amazing, all d stuff you hace done, you must bw delighted with all your achievements, if i cld do 1/10 of what u have done i wold be happy, am struggling to get d miles up after tralee, am up to 6. any advice for a newbie.:)

Advertisement