Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Auction House, RTE2, Jan 30, 9.30

Options
  • 27-01-2012 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/tv/realitybites/auctionhouse.html

An hour long documentary on Merlin's first property auction. Last summer they issued press releases claiming that this would be a large scale distressed property auction with over 70 properties. They ended up with about 10 and only a couple sold, while in the same month Allsops held an auction with over 100 properties.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Watching Dave's classic sales lines will be enough to keep me entertained, should be a funny watching him swap micra's for houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

Reality bites them in the ass more like !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I'd say when the Merlin lads started filming this they thought they'd be RTE's new 'auctioneer celebs'. Instead they end up with egg on their face with a flop of an auction.

And why? Because the reserves were set by the sellers and were totally unrealistic in this market. Allsops have proved it can be done, but only at realistic prices (and some on here would say that even some of Allsops prices were slightly over the top).

I'll still watch this though. If anything it represents a piece of film that will show how deluded some sellers are. Hopefully there'll be potential sellers watching this and it'll help wake them up somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hello983

Looking forward to the program tonight. You have to hand it to them for giving it a go! Its a shame to see an English outfit come in to clean up the mess, with so many out of work here. Why export the fees that would be generated anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

oh my god...........
    im in shock that such a bunch of muppets were allowed to auction off property......!!!!!
    dont think they even reached any of the reserves they set. if i were selling i wouldnt let them near my house.
    its difficult enough to sell a property now without a few cowboys chancing their arm at it...

it reminded me of an episode of the apprentice.....embarassing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

coup1917 wrote: »
    oh my god...........
    im in shock that such a bunch of muppets were allowed to auction off property......!!!!!
    dont think they even reached any of the reserves they set. if i were selling i wouldnt let them near my house.
    its difficult enough to sell a property now without a few cowboys chancing their arm at it...

it reminded me of an episode of the apprentice.....embarassing...

Exactly, and yet 5 or 6 years ago even bigger muppets were bluffing grade 1 muppets into buying properties like these at more then 6 times these reserves. Incredible.!!
    was like watching a reality tv show indeed.
    they even celebrated their "success" at the end with champagne.!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

I couldn't understand why they got an outside auctioneer in. Then that guy looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

Anyway, Allsops are back in town on the 1st of march. The catalogue is out this Saturday.

Advertisement