Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horticulture as a new career

Options
  • 27-01-2012 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Thought this would be the best place to ask, I'm pondering a change of work which will mean training. Mad as it sounds getting my fingers mucky in the Irish climate has some appeal but I need to pick the right entry course, the Waterford VEC runs a Horticulture module -

FETAC Level 5

Introduction: This qualification is suitable for anyone seeking a career in horticulture (e.g as a nursery/garden centre worker or landscape designer). It is also ideal for those working in the sector wishing to receive certification.

Duration: 2 Years, part time

Subjects:

Mandatory
    Plant Identification & Use
    Plant Science
    Soil Science & Growing Media
    Communications
    Work Experience

Elective
    Landscape Construction & Maintenance
    Nursery Stock Production
    Plant Care and Maintenance
    An approved appropriate module

Important: (subjects offered will depend on demand)
    Completion of 8 modules is required for the full award

An award in Organic Horticulture may also be obtained on completion of 4 extra modules.

Entry Requirements: There are no specific entry requirements for this course but it would be advisable to discuss your options with the Adult Guidance Service before embarking on this or any course.

Certification: FETAC Level 5 Horticulture, CASHX (not sure what is)

Does the above seem a reasonable grounding and could it offer a way into employment as an employee at say a Garden centre with nursery that raises its own plants?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I have both the Fetac level 5 and a degree in Hort and I have to say I found the Fetac brilliant. I did it in the botanics so I think alot of it had to do with the lecturers but also the course is very well designed and covers an array of subject matter.

With regards to getting a job with it...it's difficult to get a job with a degree these days.

Alot of it is who you know so my advice is if you go ahead with the course build your contacts from the get go. Also, read around the subjects as much as possible and always concentrate on your Plant ID's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Yes, thats what most of the horticulture courses are designed for now or a career in landscape gardening. You might be able to get yourself a part time spring/summer job in a garden centre even without the course under your belt, a willingness to get your hands dirty is a rare commodity even in these times. The organic option seems to have replaced the market gardening option in horticulture courses offered in Ireland in the last few years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

My girlfriend spent 4 years full time doing Fetac Level 7 Horticulture in ITB and Botanic Gardens.

Shes a fully qualified professional Horticulturalist (Bsc Botanics).

Its very hard and demanding work with lots and lots of study and attention needed to remember all the latin names and plant IDs.

Theres also some day trips out to various places and gardens around Ireland too.You also learn about business skills and how to propperly operate various machiney too.This is done out in Teagasc.

http://www.teagasc.ie/kinsealy/index.asp

Overall,its an intensive 4 year course,but well well worth it,at the end.And you need to be fully commited to it too.

Regards.:)

Paddy, Botanic's and ITB have broken links so the degree is now done in with DCU as of last year. Also Kinsealy is on the way out as well as far as I know. It has a different format to what we would have done as well.

I think the Op is based in Waterford...the degree is run in WIT and is run very well there AFAIK.

Its a good few years now,since my missus did her degree.She used to drive out via the back of Dublin airport and up into ITB.

DCU is only down the road from me,5 minute walking distance.:)

• Advertisement

Yeah I thought it's been a while as I don't recognise her and as she would know you get to know everyone in there as it's so small.

It's a much better course to be honest with DCU, I would have loved to have done it but we did it with ITB.

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    Yeah I thought it's been a while as I don't recognise her and as she would know you get to know everyone in there as it's so small.

It's a much better course to be honest with DCU, I would have loved to have done it but we did it with ITB.

Wher she was finishing up in the Botanics,SISK were just starting the regeneration and restoration work on the various buildings and hot houses.

She used to note how the SISK builders and various contractors were destroying the surrounding trees and plants by dropping building materials and equipement on them and by also trampling all over them.They failed to surround/protect any of the surrounding trees and large plants with any protective barriers or covers and alot of them got ruined.:(:mad:

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    Paddy, Botanic's and ITB have broken links so the degree is now done in with DCU as of last year. Also Kinsealy is on the way out as well as far as I know. It has a different format to what we would have done as well.

I think the Op is based in Waterford...the degree is run in WIT and is run very well there AFAIK.

Kinsealy has been on it way out for a while, Dept of Agric was looking to cash in on the land but the recession has slowed that down.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Wher she was finishing up in the Botanics,SISK were just starting the regeneration and restoration work on the various buildings and hot houses.

She used to note how the SISK builders and various contractors were destroying the surrounding trees and plants by dropping building materials and equipement on them and by also trampling all over them.They failed to surround/protect any of the surrounding trees and large plants with any protective barriers or covers and alot of them got ruined.:(:mad:

What did the director of the gardens say to that?

What did the director of the gardens say to that?

I dont know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bartlguy

Did the degree in the bots there a good few years back, went out on my own and lost out big style but now just got a full time job so all good. Woodies are hiring people left right and centre for horticultural work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

mike65 wrote: »
    Does the above seem a reasonable grounding and could it offer a way into employment as an employee at say a Garden centre with nursery that raises its own plants?

Why not ask prospective employers before you do a course ?

Firstly decide who you would like to work for & then go & talk to them. Make sure you go at a quiet time & speak to as many staff as you can. Then ask to speak to the boss. See what they think of courses & what they recommend. Maybe work there at the weekends & get a foot in the door.

Garden centres are doing less growing & more importing. Growing is very time consuming & you can end up with plants that have cost more than you can sell them for. Also buying in gives you greater flexibility which is critical given the variability of our climate.

Whist knowledge is a good thing a lot of garden centre work simply doesn't need it because you will be told to repot 200 of those into these pots with this compost. The need for knowledge really comes in when dealing with the public. Every Woodies is supposed to have a trained Horticulturist but their knowledge is only needed to assist customers. Their choice of plants etc is very limited so, in reality, it wouldn't take long to learn about them.

The real opportunity is in garden design, construction & maintenance. Of these three maintenance will always be the mainstay especially in a recession. But all three require a lot of practical knowledge & experience. I have seen highly qualified horticulturists that can't weed a simple border or cut a big hedge. I have also seen countless "qualified" contractors butchering trees & ripping up plants with the weeds.

Advertisement