Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais-closing my account

Options
  • 27-01-2012 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

This has been bane of my existence for the past while-any advice much appreciated...

So, moved out of rented property in July. Dutifully informed landlord and Bord Gais (elec provider) of my intentions to do so, gave final meter reading etc. Contacted Landlord in relation to his name being put back on account to avoid disconnection, this he says he does.

In Sep I receive a bill looking for 44.30 for July-Sep period. I contact Landlord to ensure name change occurred, why i received bill etc He contacts BG and receives email which he forwards to me saying and I quote 'There is currently no name on the electricity account since the previous tenant Joe Bloggs closed the account, this will result in ESB Networks disconnecting the power if a name is not added to the account as soon as possible.'

So I point this out to Bord Gais, as does Landlord querying as to why when it was requested did changeover not happen. Via email, also forwarded to me, he asks BG to contact him directly, which he says they never did, at least via email.

I have now received another bill for the September -October period.

BG are telling me I am responsible for these payments. Are they right to say so? Many thanks for enduring the long read.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

This has been bane of my existence for the past while-any advice much appreciated...

So, moved out of rented property in July. Dutifully informed landlord and Bord Gais (elec provider) of my intentions to do so, gave final meter reading etc. Contacted Landlord in relation to his name being put back on account to avoid disconnection, this he says he does.

In Sep I receive a bill looking for 44.30 for July-Sep period. I contact Landlord to ensure name change occurred, why i received bill etc He contacts BG and receives email which he forwards to me saying and I quote 'There is currently no name on the electricity account since the previous tenant Joe Bloggs closed the account, this will result in ESB Networks disconnecting the power if a name is not added to the account as soon as possible.'

So I point this out to Bord Gais, as does Landlord querying as to why when it was requested did changeover not happen. Via email, also forwarded to me, he asks BG to contact him directly, which he says they never did, at least via email.

I have now received another bill for the September -October period.

BG are telling me I am responsible for these payments. Are they right to say so? Many thanks for enduring the long read.

Why not get some advice here as to how best to proceed?

http://www.cer.ie/en/about-us-contact-us.aspx

Very frustrating when you seem to have done everything properly.

BG really seem mindbogglingly incompetent. I have had them contacting me about supposed arrears on my account while I was actually waiting on a sizeable refund from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Ignore the bills, they're not your responsibility. How are you receiving them, by email or post? If by email, send them on to the landlord for him to pay. He also needs to contact ESB Networks about changing the account back to his name. Once that's done, he can switch to whatever biller he wants to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Catalpa1

Was this bill in YOUR name and was it marked as a closed/closing account. The other option is Joe Blogs left the house to a reading of say 1000 and gave a reading . Paddy Murphy moves in say a couple of weeks later to a reading of 1200, BGE may be trying to stick the difference to presumably Joe
    ESBElectric whatever used to have a handy facility if you and your landlord were both with them. you sent up a landlord agreement so when you move out its automatically put into the landlords name.
    Oh if it were to be disconnected be careful BGE dont charge you the disconnection re connection fee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

So was the account in your name closed?
    Because if it was, why are you receiving letters?

Advertisement