Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probably a dopey question but here goes....

• 27-01-2012 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've a small business and run my own AdWords campaign but I'm quite a novice although I do want to learn.

I made the mistake of putting all my keywords and ads into a single "general" campaign even though I offer 4 different services. It was pointed out to me that as a result of this someone searching for a keyword related to Service #1 mighe be being served an ad for service #4 :o

I therefore need to split my keywords out into 4 groups and allocate my ads into the same 4 groups.

I've set up the groups but I don't know how to "transfer" (if that's the correct term) keywords and ads from the "general" campaign into the newly created ad groups.

The solution is probably staring me straight in the eye but for the life of me I' can't figure it out.

Help!

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭RedFly

Hi BenThere,
    Don't worry too much about it. It's a fairly common mistake. It IS however essential that you fix this problem as soon as possible or your quality score will suffer.

To be honest, you should go one step further and put each of your "product/service" keywords into separate CAMPAIGNS. This way, you can further refine your keywords and ads as you go on.

So, for example:

Campaign 1 (service 1)
    AdGroup 1 - Buy service 1
    AdGroup 2 - Service 1 Ireland
    AdGroup 3 - Cheap service 1

You get the idea.

As for moving keywords etc. around, you need to use AdWords editor.
    It is ESSENTIAL for anyone serious about their AdWords account. It can be downloaded for free here:

http://www.google.com/intl/en/adwordseditor/

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

RedFly,

That's super info and exactly why I love Boards. A group of people who (mostly) want to help each other with succinct advice and feedback.

Much appreciated.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Stevokenevo

Hi Ben -

I work at Google in the AdWords team - if there's any other questions you have I'm happy to give you a steer - drop me a PM.

Stephen

Hi Ben -

I work at Google in the AdWords team - if there's any other questions you have I'm happy to give you a steer - drop me a PM.

Stephen

Dangerous offer to make there SteveO :D

I'll drop you a quick PM to get your opinion. I'm getting good AdWords hits but they aren't converting into enquiries. Might be that the ads are not matching the keywords being searched on (the problem outlined above) but it might be that the site or site content isn't meeting visitors expectations in which case I've a different problem!!

Cheers,

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭RedFly

BenThere,
    The AdWords help forum is also an excellent resource.

• Advertisement

RedFly wrote: »
    Hi BenThere,
    Don't worry too much about it. It's a fairly common mistake. It IS however essential that you fix this problem as soon as possible or your quality score will suffer.

To be honest, you should go one step further and put each of your "product/service" keywords into separate CAMPAIGNS. This way, you can further refine your keywords and ads as you go on.

So, for example:

Campaign 1 (service 1)
    AdGroup 1 - Buy service 1
    AdGroup 2 - Service 1 Ireland
    AdGroup 3 - Cheap service 1

You get the idea.

As for moving keywords etc. around, you need to use AdWords editor.
    It is ESSENTIAL for anyone serious about their AdWords account. It can be downloaded for free here:

http://www.google.com/intl/en/adwordseditor/

Hope that helps.

Followed your suggestions there RedFly and now have 6 campaigns running, one for each of the 5 (not 4) services offered and one for the company overview i.e. people just searching for the business in general rather than one of the specific services.

The AdWOrds editor took a little time to figure out but once I sussed out how to move keywords and ads from the original campaign to the newly created campaigns it was a doddle.

I'm leaving the search network options limited to Google Search only, I'm not using the display network at all, I've enabled Enhanced CPC and I've selected English and Ireland as the language and geographic targets. Hopefully these settings mean I will only get clicks from people based here in Ireland who are actually searching for my key words.

In terms of keywords I have them all set to Exact rather than Broad or Phrase. Is that the right thing to do in order to improve the quality of clicks? I'm assuming if I set it to broad or phrase I'm more likely to end up with people clicking who are not specifically looking for the related service.

The only thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to set the Max CPC to Auto. My original campaign AdGroup has it's Max CPC set to auto but that doesn't seem to be an option for the new AdGroups in the new campaigns i.e. I have to enter a specific number so I started out with €1 as the max CPC per AdGroup and I'm hoping that once some data builds up I'll be offered the Auto option or at least I'll get suggestions as to what the Max CPC should be.

Regards,

Ben

RedFly wrote: »
    BenThere,
    The AdWords help forum is also an excellent resource.

Thanks RedFly, that's where I got some info on copying keywords across to new campaigns etc.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

What RedFly said

Don't forget to add your negative keywords where you can, and don't have both campaigns opted into the search and content networks.

Set the ads initially to "rotate evenly" to see what works, then take it from there and make variations of those ads...

www.ppchero.com is a good site for tips too

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

BenThere wrote: »
    Followed your suggestions there RedFly and now have 6 campaigns running, one for each of the 5 (not 4) services offered and one for the company overview i.e. people just searching for the business in general rather than one of the specific services.

The AdWOrds editor took a little time to figure out but once I sussed out how to move keywords and ads from the original campaign to the newly created campaigns it was a doddle.

I'm leaving the search network options limited to Google Search only, I'm not using the display network at all, I've enabled Enhanced CPC and I've selected English and Ireland as the language and geographic targets. Hopefully these settings mean I will only get clicks from people based here in Ireland who are actually searching for my key words.

In terms of keywords I have them all set to Exact rather than Broad or Phrase. Is that the right thing to do in order to improve the quality of clicks? I'm assuming if I set it to broad or phrase I'm more likely to end up with people clicking who are not specifically looking for the related service.

The only thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to set the Max CPC to Auto. My original campaign AdGroup has it's Max CPC set to auto but that doesn't seem to be an option for the new AdGroups in the new campaigns i.e. I have to enter a specific number so I started out with €1 as the max CPC per AdGroup and I'm hoping that once some data builds up I'll be offered the Auto option or at least I'll get suggestions as to what the Max CPC should be.

Regards,

Ben

Hi Ben,

Re the keyword matching, it depends on the area your business is in somewhat, but mainly you should use a mix of match types for best results. So, you can have broad, phrase and exact all in the one ad group. If you are just using exact match you may not get all that much traffic, and it's important to get some good traffic in the early stages to build up some data you can then analyse and act upon. So I would use all match types, or at least phrase and exact. Also look into expanded broad match.

Re auto CPC - you need to set this at the campaign settings level, so that's why you're not seeing this option at the ad group level.

Advertisement