Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iceland coming to the Cork Road

Options
  • 27-01-2012 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Heard Des Purcell on Billy McCarthy this morning saying Iceland are opening on the Cork Road. Anyone know where?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Jubo wrote: »
    Heard Des Purcell on Billy McCarthy this morning saying Iceland are opening on the Cork Road. Anyone know where?

Iceland have been mooted for ages havent they?

Dont know where but its good news, i know people will say its not local it will bring jobs and once its open it can only bring prices down in general the more retail options the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Down beside Buy Lo is where iv'e heard they are going

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Well this is the unit they were originally rumored to be going into, however according to daft.ie that unit was still available up to yesterday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Not allot of parking beside Buy Lo would be my first thought but not allot of options I can think of outside of there. The Iceland in Carrick is far from huge so I don't think they need a big Unit. Be nice to see someone challenge Aldi/Lidl.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I'm sure you mean Clonmel rather than Carrick ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Not sure how many of you have been in Iceland really but there not that great. Only good thing i see here is jobs. There nowhere near as cheap as Aldi either. Pity Asda dont come to Ireland and really shake it up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Media999 wrote: »
    Not sure how many of you have been in Iceland really but there not that great. Only good thing i see here is jobs. There nowhere near as cheap as Aldi either. Pity Asda dont come to Ireland and really shake it up.

You want Wallmart in Ireland??, I'd rather they don;t tbh

I dont think theyd be going near buy low theres about 5 parking spaces there!

Cabaal wrote: »
    You want Wallmart in Ireland??, I'd rather they don;t tbh

Eactly. Very good documentary called The high cost of low prices that would actually scare you. I wouldn't want them anywhere near Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

the only place with good bit of parking are the empty units beside pc world where that tile shop was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

ziedth wrote: »
    Eactly. Very good documentary called The high cost of low prices that would actually scare you. I wouldn't want them anywhere near Waterford.

I seen that episode of south park!

I seen that episode of south park!

That was good too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

ziedth wrote: »
    That was good too :)
    ......so that isnt the documentary? -_-

......so that isnt the documentary? -_-

Apart from the possessed Store it actually covers pretty much the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭eimearos

i can confirm they are going to be beside where buylo are. its great for more jobs for the city,hopefully they will do well!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Do they just do frozen goods? Haven't stepped one in one in my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

AdMMM wrote: »
    Do they just do frozen goods? Haven't stepped one in one in my life!

No it's not all frozen food and they don't need big floor space but from memory they weren't really much different in price from other supermarkets just more choice in frozen stuff though their special offers were good.

was in the clonmel store last night good choice of family meals there,s small choice of cereals,crisps,cold meats,veg but yeah mainly all frozen goods what bugs me is!!! all products have pound pricing on em and the euro prices are rounded up i.e. something for £2 is rounded off to say €3.50 which it does,nt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

There's nothing confirmed about Iceland coming to Waterford. They're looking into units here, but nothing's been confirmed at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Is any of their stuff made in ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

dayshah wrote: »
    Is any of their stuff made in ireland?

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

What's their stuff like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    What's their stuff like?

Same processed dirt as the rest of em :pac:

Not a vegetable in site.

Media999 wrote: »
    Same processed dirt as the rest of em :pac:

Not a vegetable in site.
    there is vegetables!!!!it might be small section but they have veg, and some of there products are made by an irish company but not in ireland KERRY FOODS hq is in dublin and corporate head office is in tralee co kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭eimearos

Grindylow wrote: »
    There's nothing confirmed about Iceland coming to Waterford. They're looking into units here, but nothing's been confirmed at all.

Grindylow, you are 100% wrong here! A member of my family is involved in this and they are def coming to waterford, moving beside buylo!
    Cant wait for them to come :)

was in the clonmel store last night good choice of family meals there,s small choice of cereals,crisps,cold meats,veg but yeah mainly all frozen goods what bugs me is!!! all products have pound pricing on em and the euro prices are rounded up i.e. something for £2 is rounded off to say €3.50 which it does,nt

Wouldnt be the pound pricing that bugs me, some people fail to realise that its not always the cheaper the food the better. The truth of it is, is the cheaper the food the worse it is for you!

I wouldnt touch any of that animal feed, i wouldnt feed it to animals, its pumped full or god knows.

Then again thats why we have the freedom to choose what we want to eat!

Bon appetite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Skepticism

I was in the store in Clonmel once, and bought a good bit of stuff. Most of it is really good quality, but some of the cheaper pizzas wouldn't exactly be nice (still nicer than the Tesco own-brand ones though.).

They do sell a small bit of fruit and vegetables, not as much as another large grocery chain (but Iceland is a lot smaller than your regular Tesco or Dunnes too.). They sell fresh meat too, but it's mainly all frozen food.

The prices on all the products are in pounds (ie: £1 on some or 3 for £7 written on the boxes of others) but the prices aren't accurately converted to euros, but I'm sure that's to include the costs of the extra transport and higher taxes, etc.

Would definitely recommend anyone to take a visit to the shop, but don't expect to do a full week's shopping there, just pop in for some good quality cheap frozen food and a few other bits and pieces.

Wouldnt be the pound pricing that bugs me, some people fail to realise that its not always the cheaper the food the better. The truth of it is, is the cheaper the food the worse it is for you!

I wouldnt touch any of that animal feed, i wouldnt feed it to animals, its pumped full or god knows.

Then again thats why we have the freedom to choose what we want to eat!

Bon appetite!
    are you also spankadamonkey on here also???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Frozen food has less preservatives and crap than refrigerated food.

Of course you can't been fresh vegetables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 aman

eimearos wrote: »
    Grindylow, you are 100% wrong here! A member of my family is involved in this and they are def coming to waterford, moving beside buylo!
    Cant wait for them to come :)

Iceland have not signed any lease yet so nothing is 100% :)

Advertisement