Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Questions

Options
  • 27-01-2012 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy chaps,

2012 is the uprgade year for me. Now im looking for the full overhaul as my Q6600 is starting to struggle and my HD4870 just isnt cutting it anymore.

I was looking to start off with the Mobo components, but with Ivybridge being rumoured for April my question is should i start off with the GPU and get this This

Or should i just bite the bullet and forget Ivybridge and go with one of These

Or should i wait for Ivybridge and start saving?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

What is your budget?
    If you could get a 7970 in the build you'd be set for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Budget is in around the prices in the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Vicxas wrote: »
    Budget is in around the prices in the link.

So your not planning a full upgrade, just the GPU, Mobo, and CPU? You'll probably need a new PSU too if the one you have currently isn't enough to power the new components.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Sorry i should explain, the MOBO and GPU are first upgrades on my list. everything else is lower priority for the minute.

Basically the case,PSU and HDDs are moderately up to date. The Mobo Components and GPU are getting dated.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

okay. i presume your budget is around 500eu. 400£ =470eu

this is what can you get if you want gpu+mobo+ram+cpu
    it will be an over all upgrade. for gaming setup you dont need to go any higher then 2500k, i included mobo which will let you to oc it. on stock cooler you can oc up to 4.0ghz safe, if you want more, get aftermarket cooler. that gpu is very good too, will run any game these days, if you got few spare quid you can get something better.

other option: buy only cpu+ram+mobo from list i did and wait for mid range 7series which is coming out in a week or two.

that mobo got 1155 socket, so if you will want you can get ivy bridge down the line, but to be honest if you are looking only to play games 2500k will be enough for years and years up till next next gen.

Total build cost: €474.14 + €30 shipping
    Sapphire HD6870 1G GDDR5 PCI-E DL-DVI-I+SL-DVI-D / HDMI / DP €147.62
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX €93.99
    Intel Core i5-2500K Tray, LGA1155 €195.36
    8GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 CL9 €37.17

• Advertisement
Advertisement