Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flights

• 27-01-2012 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Was wondering what you guys think of putting on a new set of flights..Do they need to be broke in so to speak..? I find when put a new set on it takes a half hour or so of throwing to get them going right.

Also do you use normal flights or pear shape..!! I notice john lowe now throws with normal flights' i remember he mostly used pear shapes in the past.!!Are they any advantage over one or the other..?

Im practising for an upcoming competition and was using pears and am averaging 4 to 5 180.s in a two hour session each night..i ran out of pears and changed to normal flights and find im not hitting the same scores or finishing as well..obviously my darts suit the pear shapes or maybe its just a case of getting used to the normal ones..Any thoughts appreciated..!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

I change the flights every week. Or sometimes you may only have to change one if it is badly damaged. Also if they are out of shape I will change them.

I always play better after changing the flight, Years ago when I played league darts I would always stick a new set on before a game.

They cost feck all so its worth it.

Here is Bob Anderson giving some advice on Flights.
    http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-replace-darts-flights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Different flight shapes and materials change both the speed of your dart, and the trajectory.

Just take them slim ones Phil Taylor uses for instance. If i use them slim ones my darts hit the board and droop down , therefore leaving a treble 20 bed as clear as day. However unlike Phil Taylor, I'm 6'2 so for my to take advantage of his "stacker" method, I'd then need to throw my dart DOWN towards the treble bed. Of course this doesn't work

So i use a standard flight, that way my darts don't droop down, but more point up. So if i throw a dart just on the top wire of the treble 20, my other darts will hopefully deflect into the treble

If you're happy with the pear shaped ones and the angle they hit the board at, then why change.

On the other hand you could play around with the different set ups and see if you can gain an advantage somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Tonplus

Thanks for the advice and link lads..!!

Its not a matter of cost as i have to change my flights every 3 to 4 days while practising as i throw pretty tight darts and often do the robin hood..

I havent thrown league darts in quite a few years' and last year i entered the upcoming competition ' after practising for a week and throwing pretty good darts..I put a new set of flights on the day of the comp and went out 1st round as i couldnt hit a barn door..

I understand where your coming from Chrisbonnie..Im the opposite..Medium height and my darts are designed to arc and fall into the bed straight or slightly up and rarely droop..!!

I want to get back into league and hopefully County Darts and i really want to get my name on this Cup..i will be up against though as i will be throwing against most of the All Ireland Champs' men i used to throw with in the pub league..if i can produce what im doing at home i will be in with a shout' but more than likely my lack of matchplay will show up on the Day..!!

Was just curious as to why Lowe changed from his pears to normals' as he did pretty good with them..Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

Tonplus wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice and link lads..!!
    I havent thrown league darts in quite a few years' and last year i entered the upcoming competition ' after practising for a week and throwing pretty good darts..I put a new set of flights on the day of the comp and went out 1st round as i couldnt hit a barn door..

Maybe it’s not the flights it’s the person throwing the dart‼
    I would put it down to you expecting to play your practice game during matches. Your practice game aint going to come over to matchplay. You can try all you want and blame everything but even Taylor struggles to reach his practice games.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Tonplus

buster180 wrote: »
    Maybe it’s not the flights it’s the person throwing the dart‼
    I would put it down to you expecting to play your practice game during matches. Your practice game aint going to come over to matchplay. You can try all you want and blame everything but even Taylor struggles to reach his practice games.

Fair points man' but i wouldnt 100% agree with you on that.!! For eg im throwing 14,15, and16 dart games in practice, and if i cant produce that in a match ,then i may as well keep the entry fee in my pocket as some of the lads around here can do that on a regular basis..!!

Of course i would agree that you cant produce the same darts in Competition as at home all the time..But some nights you can get near enough..As we know most of the professionals do 9darters in practice regularly ,but its not often they can do in matchplay..It has been said Taylor at a time was practising 17hrs a day..!!

The more i think about the Flights and watching the link of B.Anderson..As he says a new flight will fly true..So if you have been practising several hours with a set and they become slightly worn and you are throwing well enough although visibly the flights are worn and you change then the darts are going to fly different if that makes sense.?

That was the 1st tome i put a set of new flights on before a match and it didnt go well..At the same time i didnt feel that settled that day,nor did i practice the morning before the Comp, so it could have been a number of factors..So i will practice away and get down early on the day and have a few pints and get settled in and see how it goes..!!

Thanks for the reply once again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement