Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed decreased from ~17mb to ~4mb?

Options
  • 27-01-2012 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help. I got setup with Eircom BB this Tuesday and was told I could expect somewhere in the region of 17MB. I understand the details about 'up to', line distance / quality & noise.

For the first day, it was fine. I connected via cable and was getting around 1.5mb/s (not sure of the exact number) on a download. I checked the router and that's what it said too.

However, the later the same evening downloading fell down to around 700k/s. I put it down to congestion or perhaps the line still settling to the profile.

The next day, it went even slower, and was only getting around 450k/s. I checked the router and it still shows it being connected at 17ish MB. I still thought it was congestion and so I tried downloading the next day (yesterday) before I left for work at 7am. Still only getting 450k/s.

Now I know the line is capable of the higher 1.5mb/s that I was getting before, and the router is still synced at this higher speed. So can anyone help to explain what is going on, and how I can fix it?

I've eliminated it being a problem with the actual download by trying a speed test (http traffic shouldn't be limited I imagine) - only get around 3.5-4MB which matches what I'm getting via downloads.

I tried from another device (my phone) via wireless - same result, tried from another PC - same result. So I know it's not a device issue.

Other devices were off at 7am so it's not due to other machines hogging the bandwidth etc.

Any help?

tl;dr

Speed went from 1.5 mb/s to 450k/s for no apparent reason

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Saadyst wrote: »
    Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help. I got setup with Eircom BB this Tuesday and was told I could expect somewhere in the region of 17MB. I understand the details about 'up to', line distance / quality & noise.

For the first day, it was fine. I connected via cable and was getting around 1.5mb/s (not sure of the exact number) on a download. I checked the router and that's what it said too.

However, the later the same evening downloading fell down to around 700k/s. I put it down to congestion or perhaps the line still settling to the profile.

The next day, it went even slower, and was only getting around 450k/s. I checked the router and it still shows it being connected at 17ish MB. I still thought it was congestion and so I tried downloading the next day (yesterday) before I left for work at 7am. Still only getting 450k/s.

Now I know the line is capable of the higher 1.5mb/s that I was getting before, and the router is still synced at this higher speed. So can anyone help to explain what is going on, and how I can fix it?

I've eliminated it being a problem with the actual download by trying a speed test (http traffic shouldn't be limited I imagine) - only get around 3.5-4MB which matches what I'm getting via downloads.

I tried from another device (my phone) via wireless - same result, tried from another PC - same result. So I know it's not a device issue.

Other devices were off at 7am so it's not due to other machines hogging the bandwidth etc.

Any help?

tl;dr

Speed went from 1.5 mb/s to 450k/s for no apparent reason

Hi Saadyst,

Thanks for your post.

If you PM your home phone number I will take a look at this on Wednesday when I return.. Otherwise, call directly into Technical Support :

Just check you modem on the master phone socket as advised on our Forum website :

Broadband Check

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call and help if you need to follow this up. Alternatively, let me know your case id and I will follow this up with Technical Support.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Advertisement