Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 week-old baby gets irritated with phlegm

• 27-01-2012 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I need help please. My baby has been having this phlegm in his throat which really makes him irritated. He coughs it out his throat but since he doesn't know how to spit it out, he ends up swallowing it and still stays in his throat. GP and PHN say it's normal but I can't stand the fact that he cries a lot because of this irritation. What can I do to get rid of the phlegm?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Has this always been an issue, or is it to do with a recent cold/illness?

Just wondering what's causing the phlegm? In no way shape or form am I a medical anybody, but it seems to me that if there's phlegm it should be swallowed as normal along with whatever saliva gets swallowed. Why would it hang around in the throat? Maybe I'm missing something obvious but it seems odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 pizzaandpasta

he's been having colds. he also had blocked nose but that's easier to manage coz i get to use an aspirator for that. with regards to the phlegm in his throat, he even makes sounds when he sleeps and it takes longer time to drink his milk unlike before that his throat was clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Without trying to sound too rash, did your GP look down your babe's throat? Is there some sort of obstruction that the phlegm is getting stuck on? It just seems wierd to me that it would just *stay* there :confused:

Or, maybe, if he's having colds/illness, maybe his throat is slightly contracting to make the passage too tight for the phlegm to go down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Would it help to hold him when his coughing and tilt him forward so the phlegm would shoot out rather than have him swallow it back down.

If its going on for more than a couple of days and the baby is going of his food then bring him back to the gp. I know my lad had extra large tonsils (his 5 now and due to have them out soon) and he made noises while sleeping, especially when he was congested. Snores all the time too :(

Have you also tried a vapor rub for babies (not vicks) it might give some relief.

Advertisement