Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Make Up Brushes - M.A.C

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

The 217 is probably my favourite brush ever, so I would definitely recommend it! It is brilliant for both packing on colour to the lid and for blending colours together. It's so soft too. If you're getting an eyeliner brush and plan on using it for gel eyeliner, make sure and get one of the brushes with synthetic hair, as the real hair brushes are ruined by liquidy products. I don't have any of the eyeliner ones you mentioned, so I'm not sure which are synthetic.

The 187 is great for putting on foundation imo. It gives sheer coverage (which is what I prefer), and I find it a lot easier than using a regular flat foundation brush. You also use a lot less product with the 187 than a flat brush. However, a lot of people don't like it, so I don't know if I would recommend just in case! It is quite expensive too, so it would really be a waste if you didn't end up liking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

I have 224 which i use for powder and bronzer. Love it.

I have an angled blusher brush from Nars which is great for contouring.

I'm a big fan of the blending brushes for eyeshadows- I have a Nars one but 224 looks like the same thing.

If you are getting an eye liner brush, I would get an angled one.

To be honest, you should check out The Beauty Department- a website. and just search for their brush tutorials- it basically gives you the must have brushes.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ClioQ

Hi there. I'm a freelance makeup artist from Cork and use MAC brushes a lot and have a lot of them! So hopefully I can help...

Definitely the 2 best brushes for blending are the 217 and the 224. The 217 is a stiffer more compact brush so is better for smaller eyes, but the 224 is a lovely fluffy brush and blends shadows really beautifully. The 239 is good for patting shadow onto the lid, but you can use the 217 for this too, just using the side of the brush rather than the top (although the 239 would be better for this if the cost isn't too high!)

For liner I'd go with the 210 as the smaller the better for eyeliner brushes I think! Definitely allows you to be more precise.

For foundation I would highly recommend the 187 Duo Fibre brush. I love this brush. Just dab the top of the brush into your liquid foundation (from the back of your hand) and buff it into the skin using light circular motions. It gives good coverage and such a beautiful finish to your foundation.

Also just as an FYI, there's a company called Sigma that you might have heard of before that do very similar brushes to all of the MAC ones but they're much cheaper. I use a lot of these too and they're as good quality as the MAC ones in my opinion. http://www.sigmabeauty.com/ Worth a look!

Links sniped by mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Thanks so much everyone for your help, I really appreciate it.

It seems the 217 and 187 are the brushes to go for, shall be adding them to the list.

I also prefer sheer coverage and currently use a M.A.C 190 foundation brush, but find it leaves 'streaks'/'line' which I then have to blend with a sponge.

I think I'll for the 187 as it gives sheer coverage.

Do any of these brushes shed at all? If so, do they shed much? My Bobbi Brown bronzer brush, I've had about 10 hairs or so shed from it, but I have a No.7 one, which sheds like there's no tomorrow, after using it, my face is covered in bristles, which are a nightmare to get off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I use the 187 for applying my make up. I think it's brilliant. It gives really even, flawless coverage and buffs it on so nicely. Definitely worth the money.

I also have the 219 pencil brush. It's probably my favourite eye make up brush. I use it for lining upper and lower lashes with shadow, for the crease, for the outer and inner corners. It's so versatile and because the bristles are quite short it is great for precision application.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Another vote for the Mac 187. It always gets recommended here! I love it, find the coverage excellent while not heavy. I don't like the "painting" feeling of other types of foundation brushes.

I have the 219 as well, don't use it too often, but it is a nifty little brush!

Along with that I'd go for a good application all over brush, and then a fluffy one for blending, like the 217 and 224.

For blush I use the 168 contour brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

I have the 217, 219, and 209. I agree with the above posters, 217 is great for blending. The 219 I love for smudging eyeliners and lower lash line/inner corner. I LOVE my 209 and I just got that recently because I fell for gel eyeliners pretty hard. It's fantastic for precision lining and I usually do a winged cat eye look normally and it's just great for that. Highly recommend the 209. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Hmm, think I'm going to have to add the 219 to my collection some time!

Re: shedding - I've had my 187 for about 6 or 7 months now, and I've never noticed it shedding at all, even after washing. Same for any other MAC brushes I have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

I use the 217 for blending, 219 for crease/blending eyeliner and 187's for blush and foundation. Would recommend those. I have other brushes but tbh I barely use them!

• Advertisement

Forgot to mention 239! The perfect brush for applying the eyeshadow :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Hmm, think I'm going to have to add the 219 to my collection some time!

Re: shedding - I've had my 187 for about 6 or 7 months now, and I've never noticed it shedding at all, even after washing. Same for any other MAC brushes I have

Same here with the 187 for me. I've had it since last Christmas, 2010, and it's still in really good condition.

Re the shedding.. The only mac brush of mine that had issues with shedding was the 217, and that was in the first couple of weeks. I still recommend it. I know other people with the 217 & they never experienced shedding.
    I've had my 187 since early 2010 & it's still in great condition!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

I have both the Mac and the arced smash box eyeliner brushes and they're both excellent!

Lucky you getting some birthday brushes, hope you love them whatever you choose!

Thanks a million everyone :)

So I have the 217, 224, 239 and 187 and the Smashbox Arced eye liner brush on the list - am I missing any 'must haves'?

Thanks a million everyone :)

So I have the 217, 224, 239 and 187 and the Smashbox Arced eye liner brush on the list - am I missing any 'must haves'?

I would get the 219 instead of 224. The 224 and 217 are very similar, I much prefer my 217.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Just been checking my brushes and I would vote for the 224 over the 217. :D I prefer the bristles on it and find the bigger, fluffier head better for blending. Try both in the store and see what suits you best.

What about something like the 252? Great for packing colour on to the lid. I think the 249 is similar if the 252 is too big.

Thanks so much everyone for your help, unfortunately I won't be in Dublin before my birthday so won't be able to check them out.

Will have a look online, see if I can find anyone comparing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭glitterbug86

I agree with Dee that you'd be better getting the 219 pencil brush rather than two blending brushes. For me I would def choose the 217 over the 224. They are basically meant for the same thing but the effect you get with the 217 is so much nicer. I find the 224 too flimsy, fluffy and lacks the shape to do very much with it bar a basic windshield motion. It doesn't deposit much colour and it's harder and bigger than the 217. The 217 can create beautiful smokey effects with little effort. I'm not a MUA but the 217 looks more popular on youtube etc to me. I know some people prefer the 224 though so it is personal preference.

Apart from that I think you've made a great choice. The 239 is a staple to place/pack colour on the lid. The 217/224 will be great for crease colour and blending. And if yot go for it then the 219 will be great for small details like the inner corner or the lower lash line. The 187 is a brilliant foundation brush and won't leave streaks. I personally can't use the pointed eyeliner brushes but I was always useless with skinny liquid liners aswell. I was better with the stubby hard liquid liners. Likewise I much prefer my 263 angled brush for gel liner now. It's personal preference again and if you don't struggle with skinny liquid liners then you'll prob like the skinny brush, I just can't use it.

Whatever you end up getting I hope you love them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Do you use gel eyeliner at all? The 266 is a must if you do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I love the 217 too. I have av good number of Mac brushes given as birthday presents but this one is the first I would buy.

Thanks a million guys, really appreciate the help.

Loads of recommendations, have plenty to choose from.
    Lia_lia wrote: »
    Do you use gel eyeliner at all? The 266 is a must if you do!
    I have some gel eyeliners, although I'm terrible at applying eyeliner, probably because I have a shaky hand and also 'cause the brushes I have currently are a wee bit too big for my eyes, which are kinda small.

Will definitely check out all these brushes and have a look for comparison videos.

Hi all,

In the end I decided to go for the following brushes, don't know what ones I will get, can't wait to see though, very excited :D

M·A·C 187, 239, 217, 275, 219, Smashbox Arced Eyeliner Brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Look into sigma brushes! They get amazing reviews by everyone and you can buy a 12 set essential kit online for about 80 euro including postage! Might seem expensive but that's for 12 brushes vs 3 Mac Brushes when they're all the same quality !

Advertisement