Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuff to do in Achill.

Options
  • 27-01-2012 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

(You probably get countless thread like this :rolleyes:)

Howdy,

Myself and a couple of mates are thinking of taking a trip down to Achill in the next few weeks. Not sure on the exact location, but most likely Keel, as I'd been there before a good few years ago. Open to suggestions for other places though.

Just wondering what there would be to do in the village for a bunch of 20-somethings? Last time I was there, there was a pub/fun fair where Google maps now shows a building site. :eek:

A few scoops in the pub is all well and grand in the evening, but I'd be looking for daytime stuff, nothing hectic, just looking to kick back, surf, shop, arse about.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe something here?
    www.achilltourism.com/activities.html
    www.achilltourism.com/events.html
    Or did you already check there?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

And don't forget about Achill's latest tourist trail............ Achillhenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

biko wrote: »
    Maybe something here?
    www.achilltourism.com/activities.html
    www.achilltourism.com/events.html
    Or did you already check there?

Hey biko. Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I had a quick flick through earlier today. I'll keep an eye on that events calender though ;) What I'm looking for is more personal opinions and recommendations from people. Not necessarily into the touristy stuff.
    Mayo Miss wrote: »
    And don't forget about Achill's latest tourist trail............ Achillhenge!

Yeah, read about that alright. That'd be a laugh to see. Is it hard to get to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Honestly at this time of the year you will be bored silly. Achill other than the summer season is very quiet at the best of times.

There's not much to arse about with unless you like being in the sea all day or hiking in the hills. Certainly no shopping as you requested, just a local shop in keel and a supermarket in Achill sound.

For you guys at this time of the year the only place that fits your bill but would be a bit lively would be lahinch I think. That is if surfing is a priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i am from achill, so any help you want let me know.

not much but surfing , kite surfing and hill walking going in achill this weather. you could cycle the greenway but you be a brave man in this weather.

the only option for something for a bunch of 20 somethings to do is go to the pub.

the funfair is only there in the summer and the hole in the ground where the pub once was, is brought to you by the same guy who built achill henge or a circle made of pre cast concrete which ever you prefer.

as regards to shopping not much just blackfield clothing for outdoor gear.

a good pub go to is lynotts , no tv and its tiny, great pints and about 10 people in it and the place looks packed, usually a trad music session on in the summer but maybe not now although you could be lucky. its about 25 mins from keel in a taxi.

anything else let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

tumblr_kybjomBqUn1qb8q6do1_500.jpg

Couldint resist, sorry!

Craggy islander here too!

..fúck me but i love the place. Ya see the thing about coming to Achill is, so long as you know what youre coming down to, youre in for no great surprise!

Loads to do if ya get off yer holes and organise it before you get down here. Give Achill tourism a call. They will be delighted to help you out. Im sure you are driving down? So try The Valley house http://www.valley-house.com/ for acommodation. Bar, hostel, trad music at the weekends and Pat or Alice can give ya a heads up on what's on around that particular weekend.

You get out of a weekend what you put into it. If you land down expecting to be entertained, you will go away sorely disappointed. Research what you want to do and chase it! Keel has a couple of great hostel too, and the hotels are offering great deals but remember everywhere is deathly quiet this time of year. Fecking arse of January, or Middle of February wont be much better. Will be April at least before it picks up down here.

Bring yer thermals, tis perishing! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Achill is a seriously good place to go to any time of the year.

Get an old set of clubs and play nine holes in keel. Spend half a day deep sea fishing, seriously good fun. Head down to keem and hike up to the little outhouse on top of the mountain (top right of the picture).

Down to the Annex then for some seriously creamy pints and round off the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

MOD NOTE: Anti social behavior not to be encouraged. thanks

Advertisement