Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things for kids to do in NCD

Options
  • 27-01-2012 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi all :) I've two boys, and I was just looking for them to be doing something over the weekend. would any body know of any clubs or something they could join? I don't have anything in particular in mind, I just intend to throw some ideas their way and hope something sticks :)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Could you be a wee bit more specific about your location or at least how far you would be willing to travel? There's little point in telling you what is available in Balbriggan if you only wish to do something, say, in Portmarnock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Soccer Mom

I live in Balbriggan, but what I meant was I don't mind travelling a bit if needs be, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

you could get them involved in GAA.

O'Dwyers GAA is based on Hamlet Lane - http://www.odwyersgaa.com

In Skerries there are the following sports that I am aware of:
    Gaelic Games
    Soccer
    Rugby
    Tennis
    Karate
    Sailing (later in the year)
    Hockey
    Skerries Community Centre may have a full list of sports/activities in the area.

For non-sporty kids there is the Adopt-a-Beach program (with parents), art classes, drama classes. Or bring them on a 'nature walk' in Ardgillan or any of the local beaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Gaelic Games
    Soccer
    Rugby
    Tennis
    Karate
    Hockey
    Skerries Community Centre may have a full list of sports/activities in the area.

For non-sporty kids there is the Adopt-a-Beach program (with parents), art classes, drama classes. Or bring them on a 'nature walk' in Ardgillan or any of the local beaches.

Cricket

• Advertisement

Not at weekends for kids afaik.
    That's usually later in the year on Wednesday evenings, so I didn't think it worth mentioning for a January weekend activity. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Beginners Basketball in ALSAA 3.30 to 4.30 Saturdays (except tomorrow due to an event)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Soccer Mom

sgarvan wrote: »
    you could get them involved in GAA.

O'Dwyers GAA is based on Hamlet Lane - http://www.odwyersgaa.com
    I'm only just online now, I'm going to run this one by them, and the others in the morning, thanks for that :)
    Gaelic Games
    Soccer
    Rugby
    Tennis
    Karate
    Hockey

Thanks so much for those ideas, because you're bang on. One is a bit more sportier than the other, and the younger one is more creative / arty than the other.
    Cricket
    This has been a recent feature in the eldest boys' class funnily enough, perhaps I can develop this interest more with him.
    Not at weekends for kids afaik.
    That's usually later in the year on Wednesday evenings, so I didn't think it worth mentioning for a January weekend activity. :)
    I actually live in Balrothery, so I assume you mean the place across the way from me?

I know I said weekends, because I wanted to keep them fit and active and their time off would be a nice time to do it outside of school. Though if my eldest decides he really is into the cricket, I'd take him on a Wednesday evening no hassle :)

I really am appreciative of the replies, I just wanna keep them happy and busy, and the sense of being part of something :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

For the creative fella,you should look into Skerries art school. You can go to one off things and paint different ceramics but they also do classes and he could learn pottery and stuff.
    The Aura swimming pool in Drogheda is also good as they have swimming lessons and classes for kids. Its a short enough drive from Balbriggan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Cricket
    The real cricket is in Rush though:D

Millbank Theatre in Rush does kids acting classes. Rush library has plenty of things for kids to do from chess to art and a visit there would be worth while. There are always signs up for various activities like art, music and so on.

There is plenty to do in any Fingal town. We are fairly well catered for with sports clubs.
    Balbriggan also has 2 For Oigé clubs, scouts,sea angling

• Advertisement

Actually it was The Hills Cricket Club kids lessons I had in mind. Give the guys in North County CC a shout to see when they start the kids off again.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Actually it was The Hills Cricket Club kids lessons I had in mind. Give the guys in North County CC a shout to see when they start the kids off again.
    North County have an indoor training facility, and I'm guessing they will be activities (cricket and other sport related - they certainly did some indoor GAA training for kids a couple of years ago) on throughout the year. It may be worth dropping down to see what's on. Their website is here

You might also want to check out Ring Commons Sports Centre which is just down the road at Bog of the Ring

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

LeoB wrote: »
    Rush library has plenty of things for kids to do from chess to art and a visit there would be worth while. There are always signs up for various activities like art, music and so on.
    There's probably a good bit going on in Balbriggan Library too

LeoB wrote: »
    There is plenty to do in any Fingal town. We are fairly well catered for with sports clubs.
    Balbriggan also has 2 For Oigé clubs, scouts,sea angling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Foroiga is excellent, I think its for kids age 10 and over.

Advertisement