Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy tiles, wooden, laminate flooring?

Options
  • 27-01-2012 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭

Nearly finished buying a house, and I'm going to need floors for most of the place. Tiles, laminate floors and one room of solid wooden floor.

Where's the best place in Donegal to buy? I need to floor most of a 1900 square foot house so anywhere that will give a discount for a big order would be good.

Edit, cleared with Muffler to post in both Derry and Donegal sections.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

We bought some tile effect laminate wood flooring in the place across from the Mount Errigal Hotel (cant remember what its called). We searched everywhere and it was the cheapest place we could find it, either side of the border.
    They have a good selection and seem to be reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Nearly finished buying a house, and I'm going to need floors for most of the place. Tiles, laminate floors and one room of solid wooden floor.

Where's the best place in Donegal to buy? I need to floor most of a 1900 square foot house so anywhere that will give a discount for a big order would be good.

Edit, cleared with Muffler to post in both Derry and Donegal sections.
    crawford tiles in castlefinn are prity good aswell and things like tiles and flooring are a bit cheaper this side of the border but main thing is price around, there is a place in ballyshannon very good value (tiles direct) will give you free delivery and have extensive range also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

martyo wrote: »
    crawford tiles in castlefinn are prity good aswell and things like tiles and flooring are a bit cheaper this side of the border but main thing is price around, there is a place in ballyshannon very good value (tiles direct) will give you free delivery and have extensive range also.

Didn't realise it was cheaper in the south. Would have thought it would be the other way around.

I'll have a nosey around Letterkenny some of these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

McNamee's in Strabane are fairly reasonable with their pricing.

Going from Lifford into Strabane keep on straight through the roundabout at Asda and take the next left (just beside Kirks car sales) and its a couple of hundred metres down there on the left. It is actually located behind Asda but there's no link road between the two obviously.

McCreary & Co. Cross, Killygordon have a reasonable selection of laminates etc....its a couple of years since I've been there so I hope they carry the same level of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Small request: if the price difference isn't OTT please buy in Donegal, helps keep local jobs and the bit of VAT always helps.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭allquestions

You should price Ryans Carpets in the Springtown Industrial Estate in Derry, I've found them to be very cheap in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Take a look in McMahons (used to be Heatons) in Lk.
    They don't have a huge selection, but every so often you can get a very good deal on offers.

I've no idea what they have in stock atm, though.

I got laminate with an 8 year guarantee very cheaply there last summer.

ps. Remember, the thickest and most expensive laminate is not necessarily the most hardwearing.
    It's the coating that's applied that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Try your local Co-op.

I got a good deal on solid oak a couple of years back. Not a great choice but some good quality floors.

Hegartys in Buncrana often have decent deals on flooring too. Got a good quality laminate there too at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The flooring company opposite the mount errigal has the biggest selection and are one of the cheapest places also. We priced flooring in numerous places last year both sides of the border and they were the best priced and they will deliver in the letterkenny area if your in this part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ashydol

We got a good price in heatons across from the college for our oak flooring. got our laminate in Keowns in donegal town. it is lovely and very difficult to tell the difference.
    Tiles for our bathroom we got in mji tiles up in the mountain top, loved some of their stuff and great service.
    Kitchen floor and wall tiles we got in Donegal town in dohertys also great value!
    Shop around is all I will say. you might think you want a certain thing and when you see it with skirting board and kitchen it will look completely different.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies.

Been around a few places and have found most of what we're after. Tiles for the hallway and kitchen found in Tile Magic in Derry, very good price for polished porcelain tiles.

Semi-solid for the bedroom found in McMahons, and laminate for the rest of the house sourced in the place opposite the Mt Errigal (Flooring Company I think)?

:)

PS, could do with someone reliable to lay the flooring now? Best start a new thread...

Advertisement