Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid things you have done in WoT

Options
  • 27-01-2012 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭

just realised last night after 120 battles in my IS3 I was still driving with my stock engine :(

I must of unlocked it just after the tracks and for some reason never bought it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

Not selling all my old modules in the depo until i was tier 6 , made around 1million in credits , this was before i got premium and i was making only 5k in profit a match paid for my KV 3 though so it wasnt too bad ! Would have made the grind for cash a lot easier though :rolleyes:

Also grinding up every tree at the same time and not focusing on one route massive mistake !

• Registered Users Posts: 46 BIE.Ryaner

Also grinding up every tree at the same time and not focusing on one route massive mistake !

rgr that. Beginners should really sit down and plan what they're aiming for. I've been willy nilly'ing it way too much. :sad face:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Thinking TDs had armor and gone in guns blazing first.

Trying to play the IS-7 as the IS-4.

Training secondary skills that is not needed (anything but repair on every tank except arty, which gets camo basically) making me having to grind more to finish of newer skills (as each skill require more exp then the previous one).

Selling tanks WITH special modules on (should no longer be possible).

Playing when I'm not really concentrating (which makes me play worse then usual and then get pissed about me not playing well).

Trying to tell people were to go in random games to have some basic strategy (herding cats :rolleyes: ).

Insisting on getting all my daily doubles instead of focusing on fun / grind tank play (what use is it to have more free exp to convert when you already got a couple of hundred k sitting unconverted?).

Also have to agree on the rainbow approach to leveling (these days I'll focus on one tank and have a second one for alternate while the first one is in battle).

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭ZZR1100

Nody wrote: »
    Thinking TDs had armor and gone in guns blazing first.

Training secondary skills that is not needed (anything but repair on every tank except arty, which gets camo basically) making me having to grind more to finish of newer skills (as each skill require more exp then the previous one).

Insisting on getting all my daily doubles instead of focusing on fun / grind tank play (what use is it to have more free exp to convert when you already got a couple of hundred k sitting unconverted?).

battle).

why not firefighting?

with 23 as yet unknown new skills coming, it makes sense to use your doubles (accelerate crew training) to build up your skill XP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

ZZR1100 wrote: »
    why not firefighting?

with 23 as yet unknown new skills coming, it makes sense to use your doubles (accelerate crew training) to build up your skill XP
    Because fire should be stopped by your 3k silver extinguisher (which should be a mandatory accessory on every tank from tier 5 along with repair kit and med kit for a total of 9k silver on the tank which in general will make the money back if used smartly and has way bigger effect on performance then the normal 500k silver mods) with in 1s before it damages all your mods. The fact the fire stops in half the time is irrelevant as the chances of you getting double fire is very very low (i.e. one in 2k games or so) and the only important part then is module damage (i.e. ammo rack or gun) because it slows down your killing potential (reload/accuracy). Beyond this you should not be set on fire in every game either and the skill is yet further diminished.

The medi kit and repair kit are there for the same reason for the reloader and ammo rack respectively (but sometimes I also use it on the commander or gunner if I'm sniping or tracks/engine if I really need to get the heck out).

Now why not doing all 3 skills AND having the kit? Because once new skills come in you'll take that much longer to grind them (every skill is 2x the previous skill) and since the new skills make you kill faster (reload reduction was discussed for example) you're in a worse position then before.

Hence I consider repair skill mandatory on every tank short of arty (I got it on my 212 for funzies but it only came into play once during 300 odd games) as you'll get module damage every game. Camo on arties (every bit help but not as good as repair on tanks with tracers being back) and the second skill left blank (or camo if you really want to be a bush hugger, but since you should shoot, back into cover if possible the camo skill has limited applicability in general for anything that's not static for most of the game).

• Advertisement

Because fire should be stopped by your 3k silver extinguisher (which should be a mandatory accessory on every tank from tier 5 along with repair kit and med kit for a total of 9k silver on the tank which in general will make the money back if used smartly and has way bigger effect on performance then the normal 500k silver mods) with in 1s before it damages all your mods. The fact the fire stops in half the time is irrelevant as the chances of you getting double fire is very very low (i.e. one in 2k games or so) and the only important part then is module damage (i.e. ammo rack or gun) because it slows down your killing potential (reload/accuracy). Beyond this you should not be set on fire in every game either and the skill is yet further diminished.

The medi kit and repair kit are there for the same reason for the reloader and ammo rack respectively (but sometimes I also use it on the commander or gunner if I'm sniping or tracks/engine if I really need to get the heck out).

Now why not doing all 3 skills AND having the kit? Because once new skills come in you'll take that much longer to grind them (every skill is 2x the previous skill) and since the new skills make you kill faster (reload reduction was discussed for example) you're in a worse position then before.

Hence I consider repair skill mandatory on every tank short of arty (I got it on my 212 for funzies but it only came into play once during 300 odd games) as you'll get module damage every game. Camo on arties (every bit help but not as good as repair on tanks with tracers being back) and the second skill left blank (or camo if you really want to be a bush hugger, but since you should shoot, back into cover if possible the camo skill has limited applicability in general for anything that's not static for most of the game).

of course you should have the have the 3k consumables. double fire is also way more common than 1 in 2k games. it happend me 3 times yesterday alone, but i think you are missing the point somewhat.
    if you now have three skills fully researched, you are in a much better position when the new skills come in as you can reset to zero skills and use the XP that was used training the 3 skills to train up any of the new skills.

i fully intend to drop firefighting and camo for something more benifical when they release the new skills

of course you should have the have the 3k consumables. double fire is also way more common than 1 in 2k games. it happend me 3 times yesterday alone, but i think you are missing the point somewhat.
    if you now have three skills fully researched, you are in a much better position when the new skills come in as you can reset to zero skills and use the XP that was used training the 3 skills to train up any of the new skills.

i fully intend to drop firefighting and camo for something more benifical when they release the new skills
    I don't think we're really disagreeing but personally I'm at about every 2k honestly, it is a very rare occurrence for me (ammo rack on the other side...). And as a new starter of the game advice, yes, I'd say never bother with the skill.

Your also assuming you can pick new skills, knowing Wargaming I'd not count on it (I know they said it but they said many things which came out differently/not at all that I'm not counting on it but would use it if given the option). Besides the only tank I think I'll have triple skill on will be my IS-4, Maus ('cause he's getting my Löwe crew) anyway :P. I hate grinding crew skills and rather go and get a new tank instead which adds more to the clan then the second/third skill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Hmm, stupid things I've done:

1. When first playing arty (way back in the dark ages of the early beta) - I never realised you could go into 'arty mode'. Found it very difficult indeed...

2. Also in arty, I had issues on many occasions where my aim would take AGES to zoom in. Only after a few minutes I'd realised I'd put the tank into drive 'R' - so my tank was moving constantly while trying to aim...

3. When playing TD's i constantly forget I have no turret, meaning when I zoom in I get really annoyed that my tank seems stuck. Obviously, you cannot traverse when in sniper mode.

2. Also in arty, I had issues on many occasions where my aim would take AGES to zoom in. Only after a few minutes I'd realised I'd put the tank into drive 'R' - so my tank was moving constantly while trying to aim...

That happened to me this morning , didnt even notice for around 3 shots :eek:

3. When playing TD's i constantly forget I have no turret, meaning when I zoom in I get really annoyed that my tank seems stuck. Obviously, you cannot traverse when in sniper mode.

but you can traverse in a TD in sniper mode ??

• Advertisement

Well it must have been one of my TD's where it didn't work, some bug or something. Hmm. Maybe it wasn't me being stupid after all - just the game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 iiansee

Prolly best from me is the arty-stupidity. At beta I always was raging when my arty started moving after each shot, in Live I learned about this shoot'n move-thing (hit the spacebar while moving), was pretty enlightening! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mercenary2

you could but only by using a or d not by moving mouse like a turret.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mercenary2

stupid things i have done

GET KILLED :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

stupid things i done.

started the french tree.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    stupid things i done.

started the french tree.
    What tank m8? My AMX 1945 with upgraded gun is a fine tank. Can't take a hit (80mm front armor, 40mm side armor?! Might as well put paper on it to give it more speed).

I know others with the light/medium line also being very happy with their tanks.

What tank m8? My AMX 1945 with upgraded gun is a fine tank. Can't take a hit (80mm front armor, 40mm side armor?! Might as well put paper on it to give it more speed).

I know others with the light/medium line also being very happy with their tanks.

Yep I'm one of them , absolutly love my amx 13 90 , 10 k to the lorraine and i'm going to keep the Amx its a might tank , its also the one tank where i dont hesitate in taking on a tier 9/10 heavy :D

Also stupid playing a few battles in my elite T-50-2 with stock radio :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

started the french tree on monday, went like tank route, have no free xp as im using standard account (so not spending real money to transfer 200k xp over) played tier 3. .thought this is sh1te, tier 4 has to get better. its even worse.. .thats as far as i have gone. without free xp to skip tier 4 i dont think ill ever play that sh1t one again

started the french tree on monday, went like tank route, have no free xp as im using standard account (so not spending real money to transfer 200k xp over) played tier 3. .thought this is sh1te, tier 4 has to get better. its even worse.. .thats as far as i have gone. without free xp to skip tier 4 i dont think ill ever play that sh1t one again

It starts to get good at tier 6. Well, better. The AMX 13 75 & 13 90 are decent tanks with good guns for their tier. Nice and quick too, but just don't get shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I got my tier 5 French light last night. First game in it when it was stock, it was actually fun.
    Tier 4 on any tree is usually horrible, I find. Just suicide "scout" with AMX40 to get past it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Aenaes wrote: »
    Tier 4 on any tree is usually horrible, I find. Just suicide "scout" with AMX40 to get past it.

ah the AMX40 as slow as a snail but pretty much impenetrable from anything on its tier bar the Marder\Hetzer

but hated the grind the AMX its just painfully slow, I even played it with 5k fuel on board just to get some sort of manoeuvrability

Advertisement