Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh XP install. Dedicated partition for Solidworks files?

Options
  • 27-01-2012 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have just installed Windows XP. I would like to save most of my files to my current low powered NAS so that I am always working on the latest file version across different computers.

This isn't really an issue for solidworks at the moment as I only have one workstation. I am trying to get a business off the ground and would like to set things up so that I can scale up when the time comes.

So my idea is to set up a partition on my local hard drive for solidworks parts/assemblies. When the time comes that I need to have multiple workstations: I could copy over this partition to a partition on a server & keep all assembly references intact.

Would this work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I think a dedicated partition would work but it sounds like overkill - a sensible folder structure on your c: drive should work just as well. Solidworks uses absolute paths for assembly references but has a pretty sturdy search strategy for when references are missing (once the basic folder structure stays the same), see the help for details.

TBH if there's a decent chance that you'll need multiple workstations (best of luck!) I'd probably setup the Solidworks storage on the NAS from the start. It would be trivial then to add new users as needed. Some sort of revision control would be a must, either Solidworks PDM Vault or a general-purpose free one like Subversion. We use the latter and it works pretty well. Backups etc. are obviously essential too.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

Hi Bill,
    Thanks for your reply. I agree I may be being a bit optomistic about having multiple workstations, but you never know!

The decision to move Solidworks files over to another partition was to help prevent the C:\ drive from filling up in the future & keep Windows running reasonably fast.

If anybody has some advice on a sensible folder structure for Solidworks, it would be greatly appreciated. I have yet to see a structure that works well, as I have only worked in companies that had recently started using Solidworks & it was all a bit chaotic. I understand how important it is to get it right from the beginning.

The NAS is fine for file sharing but wouldn't be up to the job for Solidworks, its too slow. Its not something I expect to need to upgrade in the near future. Thanks, I'll look up Subversion & I am figuring out a sensible backup plan.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If anybody has some advice on a sensible folder structure for Solidworks, it would be greatly appreciated. I have yet to see a structure that works well, as I have only worked in companies that had recently started using Solidworks & it was all a bit chaotic. I understand how important it is to get it right from the beginning.

Without knowing anything about your business it can be hard to help.

The way I structured the library in my last place was to have folders for individual jobs and in these I would keep any Solidworks parts/Assy/Drw specific to this job only. Everything else was kept in a large generic folder, called the Solidworks Library, with various sub folders. We would have used a lot of pipe fittings so in the Solidworks Library main folder there would have been sub folders of galvanised nipples, galvanised bends, PVC elbows, fasteners and so on. Then for example in the galvanised nipples folder there would have been the actual parts in all it's different sizes. Pretty much everything that was standard and would never change was kept in the Solidworks Library and then things that would change from job to job (like frames or vessels) was kept in the job folder.

Having a drawing register I think is a good idea. Just an excel spreadsheet with the drawing number, title, job name, and date.

I agree I may be being a bit optomistic about having multiple workstations, but you never know!

The decision to move Solidworks files over to another partition was to help prevent the C:\ drive from filling up in the future & keep Windows running reasonably fast.

Sorry, I was actually wishing you luck with expansion rather than doubting you could do it! Solidworks files are reasonably small relative to modern hard drive prices, so unless you have a huge volume of designs you should be fine. BTW I'd use Win7 rather than XP if you can (and if your Solidworks licence supports it).
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    Without knowing anything about your business it can be hard to help.

The way I structured the library in my last place was to have folders for individual jobs and in these I would keep any Solidworks parts/Assy/Drw specific to this job only. Everything else was kept in a large generic folder, called the Solidworks Library, with various sub folders. We would have used a lot of pipe fittings so in the Solidworks Library main folder there would have been sub folders of galvanised nipples, galvanised bends, PVC elbows, fasteners and so on. Then for example in the galvanised nipples folder there would have been the actual parts in all it's different sizes. Pretty much everything that was standard and would never change was kept in the Solidworks Library and then things that would change from job to job (like frames or vessels) was kept in the job folder.

Having a drawing register I think is a good idea. Just an excel spreadsheet with the drawing number, title, job name, and date.

This is broadly similar to what we do - generic stuff in a big library and specific stuff in product folders. The library also contains drawing templates and other config files which should be separate from the Solidworks installation.

That's great thanks Bill & CatFromHue,
    The business will involve developing a range of products (eg. a folding metal step).

A drawing register makes sense, I will make one. Any opinions on entering one into a database rather than spreadsheet?

I should be able to set up a similar folder structure to what you both mentioned, by treating each product as a job. Although I do have a tendancy to develop competing design concepts to help me decide which is the best direction to take. I suppose it is just a matter of coming up with a way of dealing with this & being consistent.
    Sorry, I was actually wishing you luck with expansion rather than doubting you could do it! Solidworks files are reasonably small relative to modern hard drive prices, so unless you have a huge volume of designs you should be fine. BTW I'd use Win7 rather than XP if you can (and if your Solidworks licence supports it).

Oh right, sorry Bill, took you up the wrong way completely! I take your point on hard drives, I think I will stick with using a different partition (even if it is overkill) as I lost hope on my thread getting a reply & had gone ahead with making the partiton before you replied. I also think it will make reinstalling windows a bit easier if it is necessary.

I am reluctant to spend almost e200 to put Windows 7 on my 5 year old workstation that could give up the ghost soon afterwards. I expect to be dealing with reasonably modest assemblies. Other than recognising more RAM, are there other significant advantages of using Solidworks on Windows 7 64bit over Xp 32bit?
    The library also contains drawing templates and other config files which should be separate from the Solidworks installation.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. Great tip. I found this on Solidworks site for anybody that happens upon this thread (in the insure you have backups section):
    Any item that has been customized (i.e., templates, macros, and more) should not be stored in the SolidWorks installation directory. Put these documents and files on the network and reference the location within the Tools\Options\File Locations dialog box.

• Advertisement

I am reluctant to spend almost e200 to put Windows 7 on my 5 year old workstation that could give up the ghost soon afterwards. I expect to be dealing with reasonably modest assemblies. Other than recognising more RAM, are there other significant advantages of using Solidworks on Windows 7 64bit over Xp 32bit?

If you're sticking with your old workstation then definitely stay with XP 32-bit, not least because there probably won't be Win7 64-bit drivers for your hardware. I'm a fan of "if it ain't broke..." when it comes to IT upgrades, different story if your starting from scratch with new kit.

For Solidworks the extra RAM available with 64-bit is useful for large assemblies but makes little difference otherwise.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Just wondering how much was the program?

Here's the list prices:
    Solidworks Standard is e6000
    Solidworks Pro is e7500
    Solidworks Premium e9500

These prices are negotiable!
    If I remember right (I could be way out here), support, updates etc. is about e1400 per year (way too much in my opinion)

Advertisement