Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New "Welcome to Foxrock" signs?

Options
  • 27-01-2012 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭

Noticed these a month or so ago, one at the bottom of Westminster Road and the other on Brennanstown Road (iirc), kinda bizarre! Anyone know who put these up? I am imagining Ross O'Carrol Kellys mother rounding up the residents with plenty of stirring speeches about 'true foxrock'. Also it seems to exclude Foxrock Church at Whites Cross? Are the protestants to taking over leafy Foxrock? The Muslims? God forbid - The Atheists????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Traditionally 'old' Foxrock is the area to the west of the N11.

The area of the east is really part of the mixed up inbetween area that runs from Kill Lane across to Stillorgan Park.

But yeah the signs are fairly stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

That area is a bit of a muddle. Never could quite figure out which areas were Blackrock/Deangrange/Stillorgan or Foxrock. Most (99%) of the residents are pretty sure its Foxrock however :)

The signs are truly lame, is planning permission needed for them?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Anyone got a picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭bbuzz

The signs have been up for a few months now, there's 3 (Westminister, Torquay and Brighton roads) and they're all on the way into the village.

They seem pretty legit (right font etc) and I think they even have Irish but I doubt dlrcc had anything to do with them.

(White's Cross is the junction of Newtownpark Ave and Leopardstown Rd with the N11. Foxrock church is at the top of Kill Lane)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cazmkh

I live in Foxrock and these signs were put in place for the adjudication of Foxrock Village during the Tidy Towns competition last summer. The signs mark the points where the village begins and ends. I believe all of Westminster Road was added because this is the main road used to get to the village.

The signs are pretty boring but they were designed by St.Brigids primary school don't be too mean!! This was also a requirement of the competition and the community had to take part in cleaning up the village ahead of the event. The committee did fairly well in the competition better than last year anyway....:rolleyes:

Foxrock emcompasses a wide area now mainly due to the postcode Dublin 18 being used by so many places...but the original Foxrock is the village and its surrounding areas, easily signified by the roads named after English towns and cities - Deansgrange, Cournelscourt and Cabinteely were added at later stages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

The signs are awful. They just give off a very tacky image.

As for the foxrock boundary thing, I always thought that the village of foxrock was down as far as the N11 and that the parish of foxrock extended further.

However something that always confused me was the fact that if you continue down newtown park avenue Granville Road is foxrock, granville park is blackrock, hollypark girls school is foxrock and the boy's school is blackrock. Doesn't make any sense to me and would imply quite an odd boundary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It wasn't too long ago that Foxrock village had its own unique set snobby traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

cazmkh wrote: »
    The signs are pretty boring but they were designed by St.Brigids primary school don't be too mean!!

But surely St. Brigids is not in Foxrock? It positively reeks of Cornelscourt!!!

Advertisement