Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC build question.

Options
  • 27-01-2012 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

So I'm building my new gaming pc and I've run into a problem. I've attached pictures so people can have a look at them. My problem is, I can't seem to power the PC. I have the case cables with the differnt labels on them and no matter what way I put them in, nothing seems to be happening.

The motherboard manual and the manual with the case seem to contradict each other. Can anyone tell me where exactly I have to put these cables?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Don't worry about the case manual, follow the mobo manual.

The power sw cable should go on the top right two pins (beside the missing pin)
    The writing on the cables should face down on all cables. That way you're matching + with + and - with -.

The reset goes on the bottom right pins. There's a gap between reset and HDD LED, so most bottom left two pins. P led + is top left, p led - is the pin beside it to the right.

If it doesn't work try shorting the pins with a screwdriver to make sure it turns on. Put the screwdriver between the pwrbtn pins and it should turn on. If it doesn't there's a problem elsewhere!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Morpork wrote: »
    Don't worry about the case manual, follow the mobo manual.

The power sw cable should go on the top right two pins (beside the missing pin)
    The writing on the cables should face down on all cables. That way you're matching + with + and - with -.

The reset goes on the bottom right pins. There's a gap between reset and HDD LED, so most bottom left two pins. P led + is top left, p led - is the pin beside it to the right.

If it doesn't work try shorting the pins with a screwdriver to make sure it turns on. Put the screwdriver between the pwrbtn pins and it should turn on. If it doesn't there's a problem elsewhere!

Just to add to this, the coloured wire is always the + and the black or white wire is -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

I tried both and there's still nothing frown.gif

The two power cables to power the motherboard and the CPU are in the right place, I'm honestly stumpted. Think next I might take the motherboard out and start again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Going to take the motherboard out and try again

Edit, I'm fúcking kicking myself, thanks Morpork I put the cables in the right place. The ATX 12V connector for the processor was the wrong way around the whole time. !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Hehe that kind of stuff happens to the best of us.

Glad you got it sorted. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement