Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Help Please

Options
  • 27-01-2012 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I hope someone can give a newbie some advice or point me to another post which has some already.

I have been playing for a while now and understand practice is essential. However, i seem to always hit 18 when going for 20. I cannot consistently get the dart in the same number. The darts are floating all over the board.

I have tried altering my stance with no luck and watching my grip and arm action. Really not sure where i am going wrong.

Can anyone please advise what is going wrong so i can correct it. Many thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

Your not going wrong anywhere at all mate. Thats the game. I've being playing years and i'd say out of 100 darts I'd be happy with around 80 big 20s.

For stance and throw just do whats natural and eventually they will tighten up.

If you want a game thats a challenge go round the board throwing 3 darts at each big number. 1-20. If you put 2 or 3 darts in the number you move forward, if you put 1 dart in it, you stay on the same number. If you miss the big number with them all you move back a number. The game will look something like this.

Target = 1 - Hits = 1
    Target = 1 - Hits = 2
    Target = 2 - Hits = 3
    Target = 3 - Hits = 1
    Target = 3 - Hits = 0
    Target = 2 - Hits = 1
    Target = 2 - Hits = 2
    Target = 3 - Hits = 2
    Target = 4 - Hits = 2

Make a note of how many darts it takes you to go all the way to hitting pass 20.
    When you can do this, change the game to 3 darts to move on, 2 darts to stay, 1 dart is back one number, 0 darts back 2 numbers.

So it will look like this.
    Target = 1 - Hits = 3
    Target = 2 - Hits = 2
    Target = 2 - Hits = 3
    Target = 3 - Hits = 2
    Target = 3 - Hits = 3
    Target = 4 - Hits = 1
    Target = 3 - Hits = 3
    Target = 4 - Hits = 3
    Target = 5 - Hits = 0
    Target = 3 - Hits = 2

Another game is simply throw 100 darts at 20. Write down the number that hit either the treble or single (double doesn't count). Keep a note for example
    June 4th - 31/100 - June 5th - 42/100

Dont get disheartened when you get less than you got before as you are improving. If you do it 10 times a month count them up and you might get 400 out of 1000 (40%) this month and while you may have days the following month where you don't hit the 40, when you add up the month you might have somethng like 436 out of 1000 (43.6%) which all adds up to progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Boonser

Hey padr81

Thanks for your help. Thats encouraging to know its just sheer practice. I was thinking my technique must be totally wrong. Thanks also for the practice game. Will definitely try that out tonight.

Once again Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Yep, definitely comes with practice, i'm getting more consistent but i'm happy if I can score 60. I'd be happier if I hit 60s all the time instead of 100, 41, 41, 41, 60, 85 etc.

One thing to be sure you are doing, even at this early stage is make sure you follow throw. If you don't, the darts are much more likely to deviate and end up in strange places. While everyone is different, in general your hand/fingers should be pointing at the 20 after you've thrown the dart. And keep your body and shoulder still. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Yep, definitely comes with practice, i'm getting more consistent but i'm happy if I can score 60. I'd be happier if I hit 60s all the time instead of 100, 41, 41, 41, 60, 85 etc.

One thing to be sure you are doing, even at this early stage is make sure you follow throw. If you don't, the darts are much more likely to deviate and end up in strange places. While everyone is different, in general your hand/fingers should be pointing at the 20 after you've thrown the dart. And keep your body and shoulder still. Best of luck.

Don't forget the ever present 38. There's nothing more annoying then seeing two of your darts barely miss the 60 only to get treble 5 and treble bloody 1

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Tonplus

Heres a bit of advice i was given by a top class thrower many moons ago that might help. Aim high for the big twenty even at tops' and forget about the treble bed..This has pulled me out on many an occasion and sometimes a dart will drop into the treble.

I dont know your technique 'do you throw fast or do you concentrate on every dart..if everything else is right, stance,your eyes ect then if you throw a bit faster then you think less and the darts should follow one an other.I know some Guys who take about ten seconds or so between every dart and are great throwers..However theres not to many with the exception of taylor in the pros that throw so slow..You can try both fast and slow and see what works for you' and then after lots of practice it should come together and you will find a happy medium.Hope this Helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 devonmark

take up a stance and grip that is natural, do not try and copy anyones throw as they may not be suitable for you, everyone is different, it will come with practice, practice and even more practice.

I just realised earlier I've being throwing from TOO FAR away since I bought my board last year. :(

I played solidly for around 3 months but basically didn't play until a month ago.

I was wondering why I threw better the two times I was in the pub with my friend as I thought I'd throw worse.

The bottom of my surround gets hit a lot going for the low numbers, and being a 3rd of a foot away probably had a big say in that.

I just decided recently to remeasure the bull as it looked lower watching the pros play, but it seems bang on, got around to the floor today and was amazed how far off it was, think last time I used a cheap measuring tape(short one with just metres) which would have required conversion and two goes to reach the point.

Question on this, I have a border at the end of the wall, should I have measure above it flat against the wall or just go with the border(which adds a bit out on the wall)?

By measuring high I assume i've to factor in some extra for the drop to the ground(since it's going in an angle down)....?

I have two different lines(one from the wall and one from the border) at the minute and Im playing in the middle of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Question on this, I have a border at the end of the wall, should I have measure above it flat against the wall or just go with the border(which adds a bit out on the wall
    You should be measuring out from the front of the board and not the wall or skirting.
    So you should start your measurement on the floor directly below the front of the board.
    This explains it better.
    kPzudFhU_original.jpg

Advertisement