Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Settings for FCP in Ireland

• 27-01-2012 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hey guys, I have just installed FCP and want to set the system settings. It will be HD footage that I'm capturing but I'm not sure what is the other setting - DVPAL? or 1080i - but there are so many 1080i options that I'm not sure which one I should be picking.

Advice would be greatly appreciated!
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

1080i 50 fields (25 FPS) Pro-Res 422 HQ (from memory) Might be worded slightly differently.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Plankton1

Thanks John!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

It depends entirely on the camera you are using to capture your HD footage and what you want to output your edited footage as... For example YouTube and Vimeo usually prefer 720p. DVpal is a completely different format. Check out FCP FAQs or try a search for a dedicated FCP forum. There are plenty out there. Or buy a dummies book on FCP. It's far too expensive a programme to invest in and not learn how to use it properly.

If you want to burn HD's to disk you might need to invest in a separate programme for burning Blurays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Plankton1 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I have just installed FCP and want to set the system settings. It will be HD footage that I'm capturing but I'm not sure what is the other setting - DVPAL? or 1080i - but there are so many 1080i options that I'm not sure which one I should be picking.

Advice would be greatly appreciated!
    thanks

Do you know what format the video will be captured in? Which camera are you using? Which version of FCP are you using?

I use MPEG Streamclip to convert my footage to a FCP native format. I'm currently using FCP 6 so I usually work with Pro Res; especially with my DSLR as that uses a H.264 format which is not native with FCP 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Plankton1

Thanks guys, Fatboydim I do know how to use the programme once installed but this was my first time installing and setting it up so wanted to make sure I had the correct settings.

I was using a Sony digital HD camera and it was Final Cut Pro 7, all transferred digitally using a USB straight from the camera to the computer. Everything is exported as Quicktime movies for online use!

• Advertisement
Advertisement