Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any advice on building stands for my studio monitors?

Options
  • 27-01-2012 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.. wasn't quite sure where to post.

I've decided to build my own stands to support my monitors, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this and any advice they can give would be great.

We have loads of Red deal timber left over from construction which i could use, but also have a pile of MDF that could also be utilised. However, i'm afraid the Red deal might resonate more so than the MDF? Having said that i do have some MoPads if coupling directly to the Red deal would be an issue in this regard. After that.. will probably add some spikes to the base of each stand etc.

Here's an idea of what i'm thinking of throwing together.

Any tips welcome.. what you might use to join the parts and such (i was just thinking some bog standard screws followed by a lick of glue). cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Built some speaker stands out of wood for my friend over the summer.

Large “L” shaped shelving brackets add a lot of support, though they are quite ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

If you make the sides sealed (so a triangle of wood from top to bottom) you can then fill them with sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Spikes make a huge difference - more than I thought the would . I use spikes on both ends.

- If you have enough wood to make a fill-able box then Neuros suggestion is a good one - filling a stand with sand or lead shot cuts down on possible resonance and gives the speaker mass to 'push' against .

I found a huge improvement in stereo imagining and a tightening of bottom end using ATC scm20s which are quite heavy anyway.

Well worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mikelo303

I was just reading abour stands. I am building some myself. Sand it's good idea.

I know it's wrong post but I thought I may ask if you can recommend any good monitors for DJ? I am thinking about TANNOY REVEAL 601A. Budget max 350 Euro.

Advertisement