Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rib Eye Steak - where to get Northside Dublin

Options
  • 27-01-2012 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Preferably in the Drumcondra, Santry, Phibsborough, Glasnevin, Ballymun, Finglas area? Can anyone suggest please?
    I was going to go with Aldi vacuum packed €11.99 specially selected Rib Eye's but someone told me you are better off going to a butchers than getting them from there. Someone else also told me that the Aldi ones are really good.
    What are your thoughts guys, Aldi ones or butcher, if butcher which one near to the locations i have said.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

I've had the Aldi one before. Nothing wrong with it. Really nice and tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

thankyou Genroche

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

any well established old butcher will cut you nice locally produced rib-eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

+1 aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

BailMeOut wrote: »
    any well established old butcher will cut you nice locally produced rib-eyes.
    Aldi's are all Irish produced, by the way. And damn tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Preferably in the Drumcondra, Santry, Phibsborough, Glasnevin, Ballymun, Finglas area? Can anyone suggest please?
    I was going to go with Aldi vacuum packed €11.99 specially selected Rib Eye's but someone told me you are better off going to a butchers than getting them from there.

This person (above) doesn't like you...

This person (below) is your friend!.
    Someone else also told me that the Aldi ones are really good.

Aldi all the way, and if you know how to cook a steak you'll owe him a pint!.

thanks for your comments. i went with the aldi cuts, i thought it was gorgeous, my girlfriend thought it was too fatty of a cut, so sirloin next time i think maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

thanks for your comments. i went with the aldi cuts, i thought it was gorgeous, my girlfriend thought it was too fatty of a cut, so sirloin next time i think maybe

Women know nowt about steaks - FACT!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Because of the fat ribeyes work best cooking outside on the BBQ , IMO.

Still would not buy meat in Aldi/Lidl or any supermarket to that matter. I want my steaks freshly cut in front of me by a butcher who stand over and sources his meat from a farm down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Sirloin ain't great as a tender steak for her, get her the Aldi Fillet if she's worth it and yourself the Rib eye.
    By the way the Aldi rib eye works out at about €26/kilo, shop around, I get mine for €15/kilo and can get them in man size, 8oz is for the ladies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Butchers on Church Road in East Wall, bit out of your way but they'll cut you a huge slap of Rib Eye for a fiver.

Any decent traditional family butchers will be cheaper and fresher than any supermarket.I don't understand people who buy meat in supermarkets, Butchers are nearly always cheaper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Midland meats in clearwater are good for meat

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Butchers on Church Road

Any decent traditional family butchers will be cheaper and fresher tQUOTE]

Indeed Paddy's top notch but as for family butcher's being cheaper? It's as maybe but as for the meat being "fresher"? Well that just doesn't make sense as meat is hung for a few weeks. Longer the better for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

I go to Branagan's in Rosemount B.P Blanchardstown a few times a year, they have great meat at wholesale prices, like I said rib eye at €15/kilo, 12oz at a fiver a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

humberklog wrote: »
    Indeed Paddy's top notch but as for family butcher's being cheaper? It's as maybe but as for the meat being "fresher"? Well that just doesn't make sense as meat is hung for a few weeks. Longer the better for me.

Most butchers will give you a discount or a little extra for nothing if you shop there regularly. Many times i've gone into the butchers, bought some pork chops, chicken breasts and lambs liver only to have my 11.10 price knocked down to a square 10.00 and a couple of homemade burgers thrown on top.

You don't get that in a supermarket!

thanks CiscoStudent, Nudger and all. Very helpful suggestions there.

Advertisement