Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stressing out!! Compensation and choosing what subjects to resit

Options
  • 27-01-2012 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭

Kinda stressing out here... first of all quick question, can I drop a core module if I wish to compensate it?

Also, with an hour to go I really don't know which subjects to resit and which ones to drop and try compensate for. I am stuck between a history one and English one atm.

The History one will be a 3000 word essay which I will have two months to do, which is actually loads of time, but I will also have another History model which I have to resit and that is also 3000 words, considering my other 5 modules will mostly have essays around that time-frame, I am weary of taking off too more than I can chew, but on the flip-side, I am fairly comfortable with the subject ( I missed the exam and resulted in me getting a big fat e).

Otherwise I could choose to do the english module and in that case I wouldn't have to do an essay in semester ( according to the programme office they are trying to change it from an essay to an exam in the end)

I got 5 E's, 1 G and a D in exams, pretty bad I know, but I have to deal with it, my own fault and all. I need to get a GPA of 2.0 to compensate, and have 1.51 atm, what sort of grades in my remaining 5 modules would I be needing to get to push me over 2.0? I can compensate three E's according to programme office, so I am repeating the G grade as well as two other of the E grades, can't decide what should the third one be, other two are fine.

Basically I need to do quite well from what I can see in my modules for this semester but also ensure that I do well in resits as well.
    Any help (preferably before 5PM is much appreciated!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gradlife

I'd advise you to drop the 2 e's in the subjects you find more difficult.

You can compensate 3 e's at the end of the year but no more, so it gives you a chance still if you fail 1 more in semester 2.

Remember you must pass all your repeats to compensate.

Don't worry too much about the gpa over 2.0 thing just yet as it would be very unlikely it would be lower than that if you pass all your new subjects.

Work your ASS off this semester and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

gradlife wrote: »
    I'd advise you to drop the 2 e's in the subjects you find more difficult.

You can compensate 3 e's at the end of the year but no more, so it gives you a chance still if you fail 1 more in semester 2.

Remember you must pass all your repeats to compensate.

Don't worry too much about the gpa over 2.0 thing just yet as it would be very unlikely it would be lower than that if you pass all your new subjects.

Work your ASS off this semester and good luck!

Hey, thanks for your quick reply, appreciate it!

The GPA thing is reassuring but I don't mind putting the work in either way, I will admit I slacked off semester 1...
    also good advice about subject I find easier, but it is a close call between the two and I am trying to think practicability as well, guess I'll have to really go with my gut and run with it, if I can get 3000 words out of the way asap then it won't be as bad when it comes to the other assignments I guess... thanks for the advice!

Anybody have any ideas about the core module thing and whether I can drop it or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I can't advise on what subjects to repeat rather than compensate as I don't know anything about them... But I would always chose the option of an essay in semester than an exam when you have enough to be worrying about with new subjects.

But in terms of what grades you need this semester to have your GPA above 2, you'll need an average GPA of 2.7 across the 5 modules you're doing this semester. I presume you're doing 5 if you said you did 7 last semester.

((1.51 * 7) + (2.7 * 5)) / 12 = 2.0058

What do you mean by drop a core module? As in can you drop the repeat and compensate it? If that what you mean, then yes you can. I'll post up the link in a second when I find it.

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/asug/compensation/

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gradlife

Also for this semester a tip for you if you're finding it difficult. If you have a voice memo application on your phone, sit near enough to the front of the lecture and record it.

It's surprising how much you can miss getting distracted taking down notes. Get into a routine of going into the library after your classes and listen over it again. It's very helpful and you will absorb a lot more.
    Lecturers often drop hints as to what is on the exams in lectures.

Just make sure to pop it on a hat or scarf or something so it doesn't pick up as much vibrations from the desk.

Routine in college is very important to getting good results. Make missing lectures not an option and try and get up everyday at the same time no matter what time you are in for your first class.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

WeeBushy wrote: »
    I can't advise on what subjects to repeat rather than compensate as I don't know anything about them... But I would always chose the option of an essay in semester than an exam when you have enough to be worrying about with new subjects.

But in terms of what grades you need this semester to have your GPA above 2, you'll need an average GPA of 2.7 across the 5 modules you're doing this semester. I presume you're doing 5 if you said you did 7 last semester.

((1.51 * 7) + (2.7 * 5)) / 12 = 2.0058

What do you mean by drop a core module? As in can you drop the repeat and compensate it? If that what you mean, then yes you can. I'll post up the link in a second when I find it.

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/asug/compensation/

yeah that's right, thanks for all that, really helps, think I can work out what I need to do this semester then to get 2 cheers
    Also yeah, drop and compensate, thanks a mill for clarification, I was thinking you could too, but wasn't too sure, cheers!

And you're right, an essay in term is probably better in term than at end of exams, so considering that and the timeframe I have, I think I'll go with that,
    thanks Weebushy, advice really helped!

Also for this semester a tip for you if you're finding it difficult. If you have a voice memo application on your phone, sit near enough to the front of the lecture and record it.

It's surprising how much you can miss getting distracted taking down notes. Get into a routine of going into the library after your classes and listen over it again. It's very helpful and you will absorb a lot more.
    Lecturers often drop hints as to what is on the exams in lectures.

Just make sure to pop it on a hat or scarf or something so it doesn't pick up as much vibrations from the desk.

Routine in college is very important to getting good results. Make missing lectures not an option and try and get up everyday at the same time no matter what time you are in for your first class.
    Cheers for the tips! I haven't got that voice memo on my phone, but I am getting a similar thing to that so will defintely take on board, good shout on putting it on a scarf/hat.
    Yeah I'll definetely try go to library when I can after lectures and get into habit of revising, I really don't do that at the moment. Routine and organization and motivation are things I really need to improve on! Anyone thanks so much for advice, greatly appreciated from both of you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

yeah that's right, thanks for all that, really helps, think I can work out what I need to do this semester then to get 2 cheers
    Also yeah, drop and compensate, thanks a mill for clarification, I was thinking you could too, but wasn't too sure, cheers!

And you're right, an essay in term is probably better in term than at end of exams, so considering that and the timeframe I have, I think I'll go with that,
    thanks Weebushy, advice really helped!

No probs, good luck with the work the work this semester :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

Just FYI- if you're going to record a lecturer, you should technically ask their permission first. I saw a lecturer get really pissed off about this in the past, and it's just courtesy to enquire beforehand.

Advertisement