Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Regarding Sale Items

Options
  • 27-01-2012 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just last weekend I picked up a top in Urban Outfitters that was reduced reduced from 145 to 50 euro, which I thought was a pretty good deal. Today I just discovered that there has been a further reduction on the same top to just 25 euro.

What I want to know is if there is some law that states a consumer must be refunded the difference of an item if a further reduction is implemented?

Regards,
    PurvesGrundy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Hi,

Just last weekend I picked up a top in Urban Outfitters that was reduced reduced from 145 to 50 euro, which I thought was a pretty good deal. Today I just discovered that there has been a further reduction on the same top to just 25 euro.

What I want to know is if there is some law that states a consumer must be refunded the difference of an item if a further reduction is implemented?

Regards,
    PurvesGrundy
    there is not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

subway wrote: »
    there is not

Thanks anyway.

I could have sworn I heard something about such a law before but I must have imagined it.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

The only think even closely resembling a law like that is that an item must have been at the higher price for at least 30 days in any one of the shops outlets before a reduction can be applied and be marked as a "Sale"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You chose to purchase at the price advertised. Any further reductions that happen afterwards have no impact on your purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

jimoc wrote: »
    The only think even closely resembling a law like that is that an item must have been at the higher price for at least 30 days in any one of the shops outlets before a reduction can be applied and be marked as a "Sale"

That's probably the one I was thinking of.

I also doubt the item was at the price I paid for 30 days or more.

I was only posting to be sure anyway. Thanks everyone for clarifying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Unfortunately not, its like asking for them to refund you the difference when a full price item is put on sale!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Wow what kind of law would that be- let's put more retailers out of business because there just isn't enough.

Urban Outfitters has to be struggling, it's much emptier than it used to be and it's so expensive anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

It doesn't have to if the original full price (€145) was displayed for 30 consecutive days any time during the previous 3 months. It doesn't matter how many times they reduce the price, it's still a discount on the full price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

If this was the case, nothing would ever go on sale ever, as everyone would just watch like a hawk until the price was reduced and then get their refund. That would mean effectively everyone would get the sale price and so the sale price would turn into the original price to stop this happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

even that is just a guildeline and not law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

You could always go in and ask. They frequently will do this in the US. My wife has even gone into shops with the receipt and a coupon she forgot she had, and they will retroactively apply the coupon to the purchase. I don't think we have ever done it at Urban Outfitters, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Gandhi wrote: »
    You could always go in and ask. They frequently will do this in the US. My wife has even gone into shops with the receipt and a coupon she forgot she had, and they will retroactively apply the coupon to the purchase. I don't think we have ever done it at Urban Outfitters, though.

This isn't a coupon. The OP is not entitled to get the price difference refunded on an item he bought at a higher price. If he was entitled to do that, you would be seeing much fewer sales, and far fewer shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

This isn't a coupon. The OP is not entitled to get the price difference refunded on an item he bought at a higher price. If he was entitled to do that, you would be seeing much fewer sales, and far fewer shops.

She has done it for sales too. She has even phoned up and had them reduce the charge on her credit card based on a sale, without even needing to walk into the shop. I've done this myself with things I have ordered online. It does not always work, but in our experience it has worked more often that not.

If you are polite and mention things like that you are a regular customer, and this would really increase your opinion of them etc. then shops will often do it. The reason it does not create an end to sales or coupons is that most people will not bother, or even realize the person behind the counter or on the other end of the phone has the power to do this (they do normally have to ask their manager). If you don't ask, you don't get, and if you ask nicely you can get the better price even if you are not legally entitled to it.

We live in the US where they tend to be more customer-service oriented so it may not work, but the worst thing they can do is say no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Hi,

Regards,
    PurvesGrundy

whats the returns policy
    retn it for 50 then buy it for 25

Advertisement