Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitable RAM for Sabertooth P67 + i7-2600K build

Options
  • 27-01-2012 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi,

looks like I made a poorly researched choice when I grabbed 2 x
    CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9R - 1866MHz DDR3 RAM

http://www.dabs.ie/products/corsair-memory-8gb--2-x-4gb--vengeance-ddr3-1866mhz-dimm-240-pin-cl9-red-7JJQ.html?q=vengeance&src=16

for my system, which is an ASUS Sabertooth P67 with a Core i7-2600K CPU.

System is unstable and I get Memory error codes on POST every time after resetting the system after a crash, but on power cycle it boots fine again.

I now understand that this is wasted with the Sandy Bridge CPU being limited to max 1600MHz anyway, which might explain to me why its been running at 1333MHz.

Perhaps it just needs some extra voltage to make it run and maybe someone will tell me I should stick with the DIMMs and make some tweaks, but if they are a bad choice, what should I have chosen instead?

I want 8Gig minimum and want to stay below €100 if possible.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Run memtest to see if it is the RAM that's the problem. If so its a faulty stick, RMA them and get a new kit.

If its running at 1333, you can just overclock it to 1866 in the BIOS. But only when you have non-faulty sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭krautmick

Memtest doesn't report any errors, but I still have the option to return the RAM under cooldown. The current troubleshooting of the stability issues does seem to point to the memory though (post error), so I am trying to kill two birds with one stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

Before you return anything you should try out a few things!

Just to note I've got the same CPU and MOBO, different RAM but its still at 1866Mhz so theres some things you've to change in the bio to get the ram running at 1866!

Go into the bios and click on on exit/advance mode and then enter advance mode!
    wp000075n.th.jpg

then go to Ai tweaker and make sure the memory frequency is selected to 1866
    wp000076.th.jpg

then finally go into DRAM timing control and change the timings like as follows.
    wp000077i.th.jpg

you might want to change the 11 to a 10 depending on what the RAM's ideal settings are!

Hope that helps!

Advertisement