Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barry McGuigan vs Azumah Nelson at Featherweight

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭tryingmybestt

section4 wrote: »
    ken buchanan seemd to do alright agaisnt ismael laguna in the heat, but then again Buchanan is a different class to McGuigan and emphasises my point, McGuigan was good but not great

buchanan fought laguna in Madison Square Garden....INDOORS...

also laguna was at the end of his career well past his peak

mcguigan fought OUTDOORS in the heat

buchanan fought laguna during the middle of september

mcguigan fought cruz during the end of June at the hottest period

but for you your point makes sense lol:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

after all the harsh words on the interweb the thread everyone really wants is :

tryingmybestt vs walshb @ catchweight

from what i heard walshb would win quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

after all the harsh words on the interweb the thread everyone really wants is :

tryingmybestt vs walshb @ catchweight

from what i heard walshb would win quickly.

You know your stuff, mate!;)

walshb wrote: »
    You know your stuff, mate!;)

lets get it on

even better, a tournament between the posters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

lets get it on

even better, a tournament between the posters

a boards white collar tourny for charity - could be something in it :)

a boards white collar tourny for charity - could be something in it :)

or just a couple of grudge matches lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

mcguigan fought everyone and fought a top 10 all time FW in Pedroza who was only 32, hardly old......

mcguigan was going to the US to build his profile for the bigger fights thats why he fought cruz.....

nelson was ko'd by sanchez in 1982......accordin wo walshb his chin wasnt as good then but in 84 or 86 it was better?

nelson lost to the best men he fought....he lost to samchez, whitaker, leija couple of times, hernandez.....he beat gomez who was at the end of his career.......if one followed the logic of section 4 they could also say his opponents were cherrypicked

barry's opponents around the time he was champion had excellent record....he fought everyone in europe and he was going to the US to take on the p4p best but unfortunately we all kno what happened against cruz

When Barry fought Cruz he was a 2nd or 3rd choice for Barry, Cruz was the easiest option at that time,had it been a 12 rounder Barry had it in the bag before the heat got to him he was dehydrated and exhausted around end of thirteenth,that kind of heat lost Ray Robinson the lightheavy weight title against Joey Maxim
    I was talking to Barrys mother a week or so after the fight and she thought the fight should never have taken place at the time it did,how can an Irish man be expected to box in that heat was the words she used,3 hours earlier or later and it have been a win for Barry,a good friend of mine was at the fight and he said coming up to the fight time the odds on Barry started tumbling from around 1/8 to 2/5 so who was backing cruz? his stable mate Herol Graham won the fight before Barry came into the ring a first round ko

barney4001 wrote: »
    When Barry fought Cruz he was a 2nd or 3rd choice for Barry, Cruz was the easiest option at that time,had it been a 12 rounder Barry had it in the bag before the heat got to him he was dehydrated and exhausted around end of thirteenth,that kind of heat lost Ray Robinson the lightheavy weight title against Joey Maxim
    I was talking to Barrys mother a week or so after the fight and she thought the fight should never have taken place at the time it did,how can an Irish man be expected to box in that heat was the words she used,3 hours earlier or later and it have been a win for Barry,a good friend of mine was at the fight and he said coming up to the fight time the odds on Barry started tumbling from around 1/8 to 2/5 so who was backing cruz? his stable mate Herol Graham won the fight before Barry came into the ring a first round ko

exactly...the fight was 23rd june....middle of summer in the open air....crazy mgt decision to let him box.....barry was a class above cruz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

it had an effect yes, but if mcguigan was as good as you are making out he should not have had any trouble with stevie cruz, cruz had not beaten anyone of note, was a light puncher, McGuigan picked him cos it
    was suppposed to be an easy fight to promote mcguigan in the states.

I never heard mcguigan looking to fight guys like Espargozza or villasana, never mind nelson

Cruz as I think was mentioned was a stand in. Barry was due to fight a top rated Argentinian, Fernando Sosa if I recall correctly. Sosa pulled out with a retina problem. No ducking, or careful management. A pull out. Bob Arum I think was involved in this card in Vegas. Sosa wasn't known as a hitter, I admit that.

You saying he should not have had a problem with Cruz is not the full story. Put them both in conditions that are ok for both, and do you believe Cruz lasts 8 or 9 rds? Three rds in and Barry's shots were wasting. This has to have a serious impact on him, and really affects the resulting rds. Barry had not real power for most of the fight because the heat was killing him.

• Advertisement

barry gives any FW in history a tough fight ...no doubt IMO

McGuigan v Nelson

Strength - advantage nelson
    power - advantage barry
    speed - advantage barry
    jab - advantage barry
    size and reach - advantage barry
    defence - advantage barry
    boxing ability - advantage barry
    footwork - big advantage barry....nelson was clumsy leaping forward
    chin - very slight advantage to barry
    technique - big advantage barry
    upper body movement - advantage barry

other than nelson being probably a little stronger how is he better than barry?

WE will never know now will we,just a matter of opinions really

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭section4

buchanan fought laguna in Madison Square Garden....INDOORS...

also laguna was at the end of his career well past his peak

mcguigan fought OUTDOORS in the heat

buchanan fought laguna during the middle of september

mcguigan fought cruz during the end of June at the hottest period

but for you your point makes sense lol:rolleyes:

yes my point does not make sense if you dont get your facts right

buchanan fought laguna twice, the first time in san juan and they had a shade in buchanan's corner because of the heat which was over 100 degrees despite the heat buchanan finished much the stronger, one of the best results ever by a british fighter,
    He fought laguna a second time in New York.

Laguna was not past it and i dont know how you can say that, he was the champion and Buchanan was lucky to get a shot at him in those times. Laguna was 27 i think.
    \
    Buchanan was fighting a far superior fightger in laguna compared to cruz

steve cruz record

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=1771&cat=boxer

If my memory serves me right Barry had injured an ankle and wanted to go home he was persuaded to stay on and so lost his title

the fight prior to McGuigan was a gross miss match, as i said it ended in first round

yes my point does not make sense if you dont get your facts right

buchanan fought laguna twice, the first time in san juan and they had a shade in buchanan's corner because of the heat which was over 100 degrees despite the heat buchanan finished much the stronger, one of the best results ever by a british fighter,
    He fought laguna a second time in New York.

Laguna was not past it and i dont know how you can say that, he was the champion and Buchanan was lucky to get a shot at him in those times. Laguna was 27 i think.
    \
    Buchanan was fighting a far superior fightger in laguna compared to cruz

Ken Buchanan was a classic boxer/fighter Eastwood brought him over to school McGuigan

Advertisement