Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nigel Farage for Taoiseach :O

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭TroikaBox

You'd be hard-pressed to find a communist who has a lot of love for the EU.

I hope so, but Vernon Coleman wrote a very good essay about the similarities between the two political systems. Double check the references to be sure, but this essay does make some valid points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dasdog

KeithAFC wrote: »
    A patriot. Hopefully they can gain some ground in future Assembly elections in N.I.

Dem talk nonsense, foolery. When you grow up you will realise nationalism and stupid emblems are fictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

dasdog wrote: »
    Dem talk nonsense, foolery. When you grow up you will realise nationalism and stupid emblems are fictions.
    Good argument.

Should look up what fiction means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dasdog

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Good argument.

Should look up what fiction means.

Witty response

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

TroikaBox wrote: »
    Yes Mr Barosso, you will lose your job:D - Nigel Farage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nNXd0qbpln0

This stuff is gold. How on earth has this guy not been featured more prominently throughout mainstream media outlets? Oh I almost forgot. Because he is against the interests of Corporatist interests. I am trying to find some flaws of his. Can anybody find one or two? He seems pretty reasonable.

I never thought that a British MEP would become the only voice for Ireland and the common man. European Integration is destroying this country. Day by Day. The EU/IMF/ECB will ruin this country if nobody is willing to step up. Kenny sure as hell won't help matters in any form.

His party posted a leaflet nationwide during Lisbon 2, it had a big Turkey on it.

He's funny, if only the world was as simple as he wanted it to be. Makes Cameron and Clegg look working class champions though, hilarious.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I hope so, but Vernon Coleman wrote a very good essay about the similarities between the two political systems. Double check the references to be sure, but this essay does make some valid points.

Much of that seems conjecture based primarily on a right-wing British-centric point of view. Which is fine, but when he's arguing against EU 'spin' and 'propaganda' he should at least acknowledge that he's utilising the same tactics himself, and is full supporting a type of EU on a lesser scale (The UK).

The main goal of the EU (as far as I understand it) is free trade of goods within a capitalist system. The USSR had the free trade idea but within a very different economic system, the two can't really be compared except by taking random and spurious 'similarities'.

I could maybe see communists (proper, Marxist-Leninist communists) viewing the EU as positive either by eventually showing how unworkable and corrupt a capitalist European-wide project is, and also possibly by capitalising on its failure and using the homogeneity for their own ends at its possible collapse. This would, of course, require that the communists don't split numerous times themselves before this happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭TroikaBox

Much of that seems conjecture based primarily on a right-wing British-centric point of view. Which is fine, but when he's arguing against EU 'spin' and 'propaganda' he should at least acknowledge that he's utilising the same tactics himself, and is full supporting a type of EU on a lesser scale (The UK).

The main goal of the EU (as far as I understand it) is free trade of goods within a capitalist system. The USSR had the free trade idea but within a very different economic system, the two can't really be compared except by taking random and spurious 'similarities'.

I could maybe see communists (proper, Marxist-Leninist communists) viewing the EU as positive either by eventually showing how unworkable and corrupt a capitalist European-wide project is, and also possibly by capitalising on its failure and using the homogeneity for their own ends at its possible collapse. This would, of course, require that the communists don't split numerous times themselves before this happened.

Ok I put my hands up. His "evidence" does appear to be pretty scant. Yes it is mostly likely conjecture:)

Here we go. This report on the proposed failure of the single european currency as a long term solution may not be broad enough to support the arugment "the EU is completely bad", but it highlights the weaknesses with the euro. Most notably, this struck me as a very interesting. The ECB as the main pillar of the european economy worries me.

"Marvin Goodfriend (1999) and Jeff Wrase (1999) found the ECB to be accountable and transparent. However, Jane Little (1998) contended that, although the ECB was required to come before the European Parliament, and notwithstanding the willingness of executive board members to answer to the Parliament on a quarterly basis, the ECB would still suffer from a significant accountability deficit, as no political body has the authority to abolish the ECB. Ellen Meade and Nathan Sheets (2002) established that Federal Reserve policymakers did take regional unemployment into account when deciding monetary policy.

Applying this result to the ECB, they stressed the possibility that central bankers, when meeting in Frankfurt, could be nationally biased by allowing regional considerations to influence euro area monetary policy. They concluded that regional biases of all policymakers ought to be considered in any debate on potential reforms of the ECB’s Governing Council.38 There was unanimous agreement regarding the independence of the ECB.

Little (1998), Goodfriend (1999), Wrase (1999) and Wynne (1999a) among others concurred that the high degree of independence enjoyed by the ECB was conducive to long-term low inflation performance and long-run credibility. Wynne (1999a) and Wrase (1999) alluded to the fact that both the members of the Executive Board (with 37 As outlined in the ECB Press Release on 13/10/1998 entitled “A stability-orientated monetary policy strategy for the ESCB”.

This strategy rests on two pillars: first, a prominent role for money - this is signaled by the announcement of a reference value for the growth of broad money supply, and second, a broadly based assessment of the outlook for future price developments and the risks to price stability in the euro area. See also Bertaut (2002).

38 The Governing Council is the highest decision making body of the ECB, comprised of the six members of the Executive Board and the governors of the national central banks of the euro area. Each member of the Governing Council has one vote in policy decisions. The key task of the Governing Council is to formulate the monetary policy of the euro area. 17 non-renewable eight year terms) and the Governors of National Central Banks (with renewable five year terms) were appointed for relatively long terms, thus strengthening central bank independence.

However, some studies viewed the ambiguity in the Maastricht Treaty over exchange rate policy as a major potential threat to the independence of the ECB. This ambiguity could spark a conflict between exchange rate stability and price stability"

tl;dr - No political entity within the European Parliament has the ability to dissolve the ECB or really influence the structure of the central European bank and it's policies. As these guys share plenty of information with the IMF, Ireland ultimately stands to lose on the deal:(

[1] http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/publications/publication16345_en.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

tl;dr - No political entity within the European Parliament has the ability to dissolve the ECB or really influence the structure of the central European bank and it's policies. As these guys share plenty of information with the IMF, Ireland ultimately stands to lose on the deal:(

There are huge problems with the EU, and if that is true (which it looks like it is) then that's just another (albeit fairly huge) one.

My problem's not with criticism of the EU, but suspicion must be leveled at people depending on their own beliefs. The whole enemy-of-my-enemy-is-my-friend is something which should always be regarded as suspicious at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Paul.doyle

I am irish and i was raised to hate english people, every one i knew hated them but we all have to grow up some time. this crap from the past has got to change the world is not flat, we are all in trouble now and if our friends just over the water asked us for help i would offer it gladly.

This man speaks with passion and without him europe would be worse off.

The rulers of europe need to be questioned they need to fight for every inch, not everything they do is perfect and could make matters worse, so i am irish and i will cheer this man on, not because he wares a pro irish face but because what he is doing is the right thing to do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement