Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Crow

• 27-01-2012 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Does anyone here have any experience in keeping pet crows? Also does anyone know where I could get one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I hand reared a crow but then released him when he was fit, they're very smart animals, some say smarter than parrots. He was a bit of a bugger in that he was lovely with me but would try to peck the hubby.

I've never heard of buying a pet crow and never seen one for sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

When I was growing up I often had Jackdaw's as pets, rare them up but once they got a certain age they always left.

I had one crow, they are a handful in comparison, eat a lot more as far as I remember. Same as the Jackdaw, once it got a certain age it took flight and thats all she wrote, never seen it again!

Edit: - Sorry I wouldnt have a clue where you would buy one though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It would be very cruel to keep one. They are social animals & the only way that they could be kept would be in a huge aviary. They are wild & not domesticated so they would always crave freedom & if they got out you would never see them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I had jackdaws and rooks at different stages but they either left or died - usually I 'rescued' them after they had fallen from nests or been hit with cars. A pet cow would be much cooler.

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

As others have said the crow is not domesticated and doesn't do too well in captivity.

I read of one woman who raised a crow who would return to her patio door now and then for treats and to interact with them. It obviously saw them as flock members but this is rare.

For this reason they are not usually bred as pets .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 fitz265

i found a crow when i was younger it was a young crow it had ab injured wing i kept him warm in the shed and fed it for about 6 weeks but one morning i opend the shed door and flew over my head and i never again saw it thankless creatures but iv never seen them for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GKiraly

a pet crow? :pac:

ive got a pet fly, how cool is that?!!

sorry, couldnt help it, i mean, a pet crow? wtf?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I read an interesting book by Esther Woolfson entitled 'Corvus: A Life with Birds'. She has kept a variety of birds, including a crow and a magpie. It's a very good book you might enjoy if you like crows, but she clips the wings of her birds and they are indoors. Personally I agree with the posters above- whatever about finding a young bird and raising it until it's old enough to make it's own way- they're not suited as pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭EASYNEWS

I would like one too - as a scarecrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Have you ever seen the size of a crow OP :pac:

Of course you have but taken out of their usual setting they seem huge! I had one given to me one day, one of the pets brought it in to the kitchen and bropped it at my feet.

It was alive and seemed unjured but was very weak. Rather than put it back outside I made a little bed for it in the bathroom, put down some food and left it alone, checking it every now and again. On the second or third day I checked in to find it sitting on the end of the bath staring at me. It seemed so big up and about that I was nervous of it.

You take it for granted really because they are everywhere, but out of their normal place they seem really big. And the smell! Oh my god. Worse than any other animal I've ever had in the house, even worse than a demodex dog. Smells like death in my opinion.

Does anyone know if this was because of how it lives or if a crow was hand rared would it smell similar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

My fella smelled ungodly too! And the noise out of him when he saw me was unreal. He had to be fed every 2 hours initially so I used to bring him everywhere with me, work, friends houses, evenings out! The looks on people's faces when I explained where I was slipping off to

Advertisement