Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clank Atane

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

Had a quick at the usual culprits: Google, Google maps, OSI maps, Cork City Council Planning enquiry system, logainm.ie........

Got nothing apart from web pages about Micheal Martin's father.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

im pretty sure that would be near collins barracks up the road from dillons cross

not sure where the name came from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Thanks.
    Certainly near Collins Barracks but not sure exactly where. An interesting name.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

Thanks.
    Certainly near Collins Barracks but not sure exactly where. An interesting name.
    nerd! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

It's on the road facing the old main entrance to Collins Barracks, about halfway down on the right there's a laneway, voila Clank Atane.

• Advertisement

aujopimur wrote: »
    It's on the road facing the old main entrance to Collins Barracks, about halfway down on the right there's a laneway, voila Clank Atane.
    If my memory serves me right, the local post office on the corner of the lane had Clanke Atane on its shop facia.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

Is that the very narrow laneway that will bring you to the entrance of Cork Prison? If so, good spot ;) I drive that road nearlyevery day and never knew the name of it...

No, the road you refer to runs beside the barracks, the one I speak of faces the old (now disused) main entrence, I think there's a chippy on the corner opposite to where the old cinema/dance hall owned by Seamus Quinn once stood, it's name escapes me at the moment.
    I might drive past that way in the next day or so to refresh my memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Catalpa1

There was a famous old Cork Rhyme in Clankitane where the fleas ate the man,
    It supposed refered to some guy who was found dead in the bed and the fleas had eaten part of the body :D

all_smilz wrote: »
    nerd! lol

Guilty!

Brilliant. Google streetview is very handy for checking this out. Still no info. on where the name comes from. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Catalpa1 wrote: »
    There was a famous old Cork Rhyme in Clankitane where the fleas ate the man,
    It supposed refered to some guy who was found dead in the bed and the fleas had eaten part of the body :D

Nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭ofcork

That cinema was the cameo i saw a few films there,redeveloped into apartments now.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Catalpa1

The Cameo was famous for showing racy films (for the times that were in it) one that I seem to remember was Danish Dentist on the Job and I think one of the others was Rosie Dixon Night Nurse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I grew up pretty close to there and if memory serves, the green house in this image used to have a street sign of Clankittane mounted on it. We always referred to the area around the entrance to the Camp Field as Clankittane but I don't think we knew how to spell it at the time. :)

I wish my Grandad was still around, he would know all about this. :(

The Cameo used to also show kids movies on a Saturday afternoon. I remember my Dad giving me and my brother 50p each to go there, so we would leave him in peace to watch Sports Stadium! They screened Superman 2 for about 9 months in a row and to this day, me and my brother can recite the movie verbatim. :)

Thanks Mr. Bloat. I couldn't see the house you were referring to. Was it the post office?

Had another snoop around on Google Streetview and is seems the Post Office at 15 Military Road is known as Barrackton Post Office (see image). An Irish name also appears on the signage for the post office. I can't make out the exact spelling in the image, but it is something like "Cleann Chotain".
    Anybody care to confirm?

Presumably this was anglicised by the local British military and it became Clank Atane?

Does anybody speak Irish well enough to hazard a guess at the original meaning?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/845/clankatane.jpg/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

the green house mr bloat is on about is almost directly across from the church in the barracks on the main road

Advertisement