Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

razor care?

• 27-01-2012 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

so i'm quite happy shaving with my straight razor, getting great results already! The thing is i've just washed it wated and wiped it dry after shaving, and althought the edge is still perfectly sharp, its starting to look a bit grimey. What can i use to give it a bit of a polish? keep it sparkling?
    thanks guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I found McGuire's Metal polish the best for any dark patches...you can get it in Halfords, that or Autosol. Don't polish any goldwash.

How is the shaving going? Any comments to share from Liam? did you get a shave in the Waldorf?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MetalBren

its going really well! a few cuts, but thats to be expected. I find the whole experience very enjoyable. Only problem i have is around my chin, i was brave enough to attempt against the grain this morning, wasnt too bad!
    Liam just said its a good razor and showed me how to strop. I intend to get the shave in the Waldorf sometime soon, that shop is fantastic!
    I said in another post that i made a slight error in getting the cheapest cream, but have fixed that and ordered some Taylors of Old Bond street... missed the delivery on friday, so have to pick it up on monday.

Wow that is going well....I'd stay well away from ATG until you get a little more handy though. Chins are tricky...think about facets of a diamond and shave the 'flat' bits - stretching helps too...move the skin 'elsewhere' and shave it...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Giant Kiwi

Stretching definitely helps.
    My face moves in ways I didn't think was possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MetalBren

and today i managed a full shave with only a small nick!
    hurray for progress!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

MetalBren wrote: »
    so i'm quite happy shaving with my straight razor, getting great results already! The thing is i've just washed it wated and wiped it dry after shaving, and althought the edge is still perfectly sharp, its starting to look a bit grimey. What can i use to give it a bit of a polish? keep it sparkling?
    thanks guys :)

I've started shaving with the straight myself as well, only the cheeks (as I've a beard) but the situation is developing as they said in Nam serious 'mission creep'. In other words I'm developing a goatee, argh!

Anyway what grit sandpaper do you recommend for polishing off bits of black oxide etc.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

ladhrann wrote: »
    I've started shaving with the straight myself as well, only the cheeks (as I've a beard) but the situation is developing as they said in Nam serious 'mission creep'. In other words I'm developing a goatee, argh!

Anyway what grit sandpaper do you recommend for polishing off bits of black oxide etc.?

That's what happened to me when I started using a safety razor. The goatee is stil here (because I look about 12 without it).

You shouldn't really need sandpaper for that the black spots. Metal polish should do the job. MadsL recommended Macguires or Autosol (both can be found in Halfords) so I would say try one of them before going for sandpaper.

If the oxidised bits really bother you - you could go for a 'brushed nickel' look. Use the highest grade sandpaper you can find and do the whole blade in one direction.

I don't recommend it though unless the razor already looks rough.
    1. You will lose mirror finish
    2. Sanding razors by hand is fcking dangerous and takes a bit of practice and care, usually on old blunt ones. This one is shave sharp.

A better tip if the metal polish doesn't work - would be to use high grade steel wool (000) and the metal polish together very gently (lots of polish, not much pressure)on't expect a pristine mirror finish though.

Post some pics and I might have better advice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

MetalBren wrote: »
    Only problem i have is around my chin...

My only advice there is just to take your time and do small areas at a time. I don't usually nick myself any more but if I do it's always on the chin, for me it's the hardest part to do, with a little extra care you'll master it soon enough :)

Advertisement