Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix on Sony Bravia platform

• 27-01-2012 7:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭

Just wondering if there has been any word on when Netflix might be available on the Irish Sony Bravia platform? I'm waiting to see Netflix on it before I sign up.

Also, has anyone been able to access Netflix US on their Sony Bravia device (using VPN)? If so, were you able to log in using your Irish Netflix account details. I know it's possible with XBOX, PSP and on a browser using a DNS service.

I use OverPlay's VPN service loaded onto a second router, to connect my tv to the US content. I can access Netflix US, Hulu Plus and Crackle. I have watched episodes of The Beast on Crackle without any problems. Because I don't have a Netflix account yet, I couldn't check if it works.

I can use OverPlay's SmartDNS feature to access Netflix US (also iPlayer and Hulu etc) on a laptop and pc but I'd really like to see it integrated on my tv.

As an aside, any word on when the RTE Player might surface for the Bravia platform?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I too would like to know if there are signs of this coming to Bravias?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

I saw this link recently.
    It was on an American site.

Do you think the same method would apply here ?
    Have you reason to think not ?

http://techtips.salon.com/watch-netflix-sony-bravia-1306.html

My understanding was that Netflix only appears after you have registered you Netflix account - with sony ?....

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Beagslife

Yes, a similar method would apply, if Netflix Ireland or UK were supported on the Sony Bravia platform here. Unfortunately, so far they are not.

Unlike with a browser (using DNS), the internet content of your tv is locked in to your geographical location. Until Sony and Netflix (UK & Ireland) come to an arrangement, I don't think it will be an option.

Perhaps Netflix could divert a bit of their extensive marketing budget to getting it sorted with Sony!

My question posted earlier, was if anyone with an Irish/UK Netflix account had been able to access the Netflix US site on their Bravia TV, using a VPN service. I can see the Netflix US home screen, using Overplay's VPN. I just don't know if an Irish Netflix membership would work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Dazzling D

Netflix is coming to the Sony Entertainment Network later in the year but Netflix haven't announced what TV/Blu-ray products it will be on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Dragging up a slightly old thread, but the Sony rep in their forum has announced today that Netflix will not be ported for their 2010 or 2011 devices due to technical and DRM issues...

Looks like Apple TV for me so, pity as Netflix will probably be the only thing I'm using it for - can plug HD directly into TV for movies that I have already...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

Would it be possible to take out a Netflix subscription and receive it to one's Home Network and then, in real time, stream it from the networked PC to the TV ?
    I can currently view network stored media on the Bravia via a Media player (Patriot Box) and I can browse and watch/listen to media from my Network using software application 'Serviio' .

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bipedalhumanoid

Well aint that a bastard. I won't be bothering with Netflix until I can use it with my TV.

They suggest plugging a VGA cable into the TV. If you do that you're relying on your laptop to provide the sound! Screw that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭skinny90

All new sony's ex6 range and above have Netflix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Really sorry to be dragging up an old thread but does anyone know if there has been any change on this or know how to get Netflix on the bravia TVs. The TV I have is a new model, it's the KDL42W65 model. It was advertised as being able to access Netflix but I have a feeling this was not checked to be the case or not

Advertisement