Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private number: how to find it out

Options
  • 27-01-2012 7:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭

I hate private numbers:mad::mad::mad:

Is there any way you can find out what number was calling you when "private number" shows up? The amount of times I get private calls from people who then text me giving out for not answering. Well feck off, if you're not going to tell me who you are, I'm not going to let you into my personal space!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You know who they are once they text you though ;)

Other than that, no you cant know who they are unless they are being abusive in which you can report it to the guards and let them investigate it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

What device do you have? Most modern ones will let you block private numbers :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

draffodx wrote: »

Its a Nokia phone, dont know the model number. Its fairly basic, but modern enough. Its the type made for builders / farmers with the rubber "bumper" round the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

Everyone has the right to withhold there number when they make a call, so no you'll never know who it his unless you know someone working for your network!

People turn it off to a make certain calls but IMHO its a pain to turn it back on and people forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

there is no legit way to find out a private number. its annoying but thats life.
    if they are harrassing or threatening calls you should report it to the gardai.

• Advertisement

Random wrote: »
    there is no legit way to find out a private number. its annoying but thats life.
    if they are harrassing or threatening calls you should report it to the gardai.

Is there a non-legit way?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just answer the phone when it rings?
    Why people don't answer for private numbers baffles me, do yous think it'll explode or something?

biko wrote: »
    Just answer the phone when it rings?
    Why people don't answer for private numbers baffles me, do yous think it'll explode or something?

I thought that would be obvious. Sometimes in life, there's people you'd rather NOT talk to.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 FiveSpice

I hate private number too, especially when you miss the call and no way to know. But I'd be careful about blocking it in case there ever was an important call that happened to be private.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

I never pick up private numbers. I don't even pick up numbers I don't have in my phonebook and I hate people who don't have the courtesy to text before they call if they know I don't have their number. It's the equivalent of not bothering to let someone know you're calling over to their house.

People have such an odd attitude to answering phones. They'll be in the middle of a face-to-face conversation and then answer their phone when it rings. You wouldn't walk off and have a conversation with someone else while somebody was talking to you, so why do it with a phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

Well, it's more like sending someone a letter before ringing the doorbell, I can't understand why you wouldn't answer a call, nothing bad can really come of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Well, it's more like sending someone a letter before ringing the doorbell, I can't understand why you wouldn't answer a call, nothing bad can really come of it.

Yes nothing bad but think, why is the person blocking their number? Normally it's because they don't want you to know who they are or know you will not answer when you see who it is. Do you really want to waste time talking to someone with those motives?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

newmug wrote: »
    I thought that would be obvious. Sometimes in life, there's people you'd rather NOT talk to.
    Aye, 'tis true. I just never get calls from people I don't want to talk to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

tuxy wrote: »
    Yes nothing bad but think, why is the person blocking their number? Normally it's because they don't want you to know who they are or know you will not answer when you see who it is. Do you really want to waste time talking to someone with those motives?
    My landline is ex directory,being ex D. the phone rings out on private number....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

biko wrote: »
    Aye, 'tis true. I just never get calls from people I don't want to talk to.

Me too, some people have annoying EX's that just can't let go. And other situations like that. So you can see why these people would be wary of private numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

tuxy wrote: »
    Me too, some people have annoying EX's that just can't let go.

Ahh what awful problems you have :)

draffodx wrote: »
    Its a Nokia phone, dont know the model number. Its fairly basic, but modern enough. Its the type made for builders / farmers with the rubber "bumper" round the outside.

Its a Nokia 3720. Can they block private numbers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

If I see a classified in the paper that says 'no private numbers', I take that as a sign not to avail of the advert. That's my own opinion.
    They've paid to put those extra three words in print for some reason..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I remember the days (before caller ID) when the phone rang and you didn't know who was on the other end - it was no biggie and we have all lived to tell the tale after answering the call. I don't get why people don't answer private numbers either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

People have every right not to accept calls from private numbers.

It's like someone knocking on the door with a mask on.

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    If I see a classified in the paper that says 'no private numbers', I take that as a sign not to avail of the advert. That's my own opinion.
    They've paid to put those extra three words in print for some reason..

Yea, to weed out tyrekickers. If you were serious about buying what they were advertising, why hide your identity?

Fittle wrote: »
    I remember the days (before caller ID) when the phone rang and you didn't know who was on the other end - it was no biggie and we have all lived to tell the tale after answering the call. I don't get why people don't answer private numbers either.

I know a couple who got divorced over some ba$tard continously ringing the landline phone and asking to speak to the wife, then hanging up. IMO caller ID should be mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭Genghis

I know a couple who got divorced over some ba$tard continously ringing the landline phone and asking to speak to the wife, then hanging up. IMO caller ID should be mandatory.

I agree. At the very least every business should be Caller ID mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Genghis wrote: »
    I agree. At the very least every business should be Caller ID mandatory.

So how do you think the world and it's mother coped before Caller ID?

Fittle wrote: »
    So how do you think the world and it's mother coped before Caller ID?

It didnt. People got divorced. See post above.

Advertisement