Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bray airshow 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Plane Jane

b757,

The organizers would have been quoted 15k when they booked it!! A shoddy PR stunt is more the reason i think!!

From reviewing previous posts Bray is suffering badly as an airshow! The last thing you do is announce something is coming when it clearly never was in the 1st place.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭airbusa320

It may have been a PR stunt on behalf of bray but the pilot was under the impression he was coming according to his facebook page ?If the reason to cancel the display was down to cost surley there is now cash left over to book a cheaper act as the line up is very thin at the moment, and if the USAF are coming why not them as confirmed on the web site ?

airbusa320 wrote: »
    It may have been a PR stunt on behalf of bray but the pilot was under the impression he was coming according to his facebook page ?If the reason to cancel the display was down to cost surley there is now cash left over to book a cheaper act as the line up is very thin at the moment, and if the USAF are coming why not them as confirmed on the web site ?

They even got this printed in the paper.....
    http://www.herald.ie/news/fast-jets-to-thrill-crowds-at-bray-air-show-3075361.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭television

another thing that gauls me about this [and it ties nicley into you asking why the usaf are not confirmed].remember the hunter was also confirmed ,as were the gnat team a few years ago [another no show] so as i have said before, remember even if an aircraft is confirmed thats no guarantee it will turn up.the fact they said it was confirmed that would lead most persons to believe that the pilot has agreed a price [if not actually paid already] and agreed to do it

i also dont believe cash is the issue as every year there are tens of thousands of persons there for this show so there is some amount of money being spent so bray council certainly rakes it in

I see the subject of the cancelled hunter is now being talked about on the bray facebook page. And with a link to the Boards.ie comments ?

Aer lingus a320 retrojet added

oh wow [not!!].he is really pulling out all the stops...retro a320...yawn:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Aer lingus a320 retrojet added

A320 doing a flyby?Class! Loved the Aer Aerann flyby of an ATR the last time. Low flying A320 should be cool.

• Advertisement

i saw it at last years show and it was just average,nothing really special about it...the fact i work in the airport and see this on an almost daily bases means it is nothing special to me....and i could have told you months ago this would be on the line up for bray...predictable that it is

May be we could expect a fly by Aer lingus regional now that they are listed as one of the sponsors on the web-site. Still no air corps or coastguard listed ?

maybe,but i would not bet on it....as for the ac / cg ,i would assume its a safe bet they will be there in some capacity [not that im bothered either way as im not going]

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭snowserpeant

i have it on VERY GOOD authourity that the ONLY jet at bray will be the aer lingus retro a320,so you can kiss any chance of the us airforce sending a c 17 or b52 like they did previously,goodbye:mad::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

i have it on VERY GOOD authourity that the ONLY jet at bray will be the aer lingus retro a320,so you can kiss any chance of the us airforce sending a c 17 or b52 like they did previously,goodbye:mad::(

Would you say this person is 100% correct?

What else could they send so? They told me it wasn't very fast but was very interesting.. Wonder what it could be. The only thing i could think of there that is in the USAF based in the UK would be an Osprey. Don't get much more interesting that that.

this person heard it from si pardy himself so i would say yes....most likley a c-130 heading back to ramstein airforce base in germany [exactly like last year] or some other european base....while it might be an osprey i would doubt it as that would mean pardy actually did something right [not likley, considering his past performances]:eek:

• Advertisement

this person heard it from si pardy himself so i would say yes....most likley a c-130 heading back to ramstein airforce base in germany [exactly like last year] or some other european base....while it might be an osprey i would doubt it as that would mean pardy actually did something right [not likley, considering his past performances]:eek:

Most likely it will be a c130.. Haha

Sure we can only hope at this stage that something decent may come up on the website as confirmed before the day. Cant see myself enjoying this one this year.

yep,sounds like a very poor turn out this year,as i said before i will watch it all from howth head and thats just a few minutes drive from where i live...no more stuck on a train for over an hour feeling like im in a sardene can

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

b757 wrote: »
    Most likely it will be a c130.. Haha

Sure we can only hope at this stage that something decent may come up on the website as confirmed before the day. Cant see myself enjoying this one this year.
    hmmm, that is a hard one. Spend hours getting to and from Bray, the place packed with Joe Public families and the usual scumbags that seaside days seem to attract, all to possibly see one Herc? or just head to Shannon for the day, where you seem to be nearly sure of seeing one, without the hassle? No contest i think . Somewhere smallish , say like Abbeyshrule, can have a great airshow like this, but seafront shows need noise, and the only way to get enough noise is to have Fast jets .

hmmm, that is a hard one. Spend hours getting to and from Bray, the place packed with Joe Public families and the usual scumbags that seaside days seem to attract, all to possibly see one Herc? or just head to Shannon for the day, where you seem to be nearly sure of seeing one, without the hassle? No contest i think . Somewhere smallish , say like Abbeyshrule, can have a great airshow like this, but seafront shows need noise, and the only way to get enough noise is to have Fast jets .

2 hours to Bray from where i am, 2 hours to Shannon.

I wonder which would be better, and have something decent?

if i lived at the same distance between the 2 i would go to shannon...likley to see something there:D:)

• Advertisement

211894.jpg

Don't know whether to like or comment... :rolleyes:

this has turned me off going even more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭Storm 10

At this stage im surprised they have not included Airfix models :D:D

Aer Lingus Regional / Aer Arann fly by added to display.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    At this stage im surprised they have not included Airfix models :D:D
    who knows,maybe they might....that way we could have some fast jets,ha ha:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 corkcoco

Never been to the Bray Airshow but have been to salt hill a number of times & always had a good day out. Does anyone know why this stopped ??
    Take a look at the twitter list of planes at air tattoo in the uk tomorrow, unreal, love to be there
    @AIRTATTOO

corkcoco wrote: »
    Never been to the Bray Airshow but have been to salt hill a number of times & always had a good day out. Does anyone know why this stopped ??
    Take a look at the twitter list of planes at air tattoo in the uk tomorrow, unreal, love to be there
    @AIRTATTOO

A door fell off a Merlin and insurance cost rose significantly i think..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oePvdTTG_4M

Seen the final list the other day and kicking myself wondering why i decided not to go. Kinda p*ssed over not going to be honest, the lineup looks brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bejasis123

looks boring this year. i have a remote control plane that can loop. i might bring it to make the day interesting... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Looking pretty dismal this year alright, dont think I will be going this time not worth the trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Jez when I saw someone posted I thought something new was added, a static glider is the latest, what a joke that is.

• Advertisement

And now Eddie Goggins has been removed from the aircraft list?
    Not to many displays listed this year and only ten days to go and according to the Hunter display pilots Facebook page hes still waiting to hear from Bray ?

Not to many displays listed this year and only ten days to go and according to the Hunter display pilots Facebook page hes still waiting to hear from Bray ?

Yeah, Sent them a message saying Eddie sold the Extra 300.. Bit pointless having him there if he don't even own it anymore..

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hopefulaplican

ANNOUNCEMENT: Also confirmed for bray this year, a plastic Lidl bag floating across the beach in a breeze. Well... when I say confirmed... the bag may be tied up with operational duties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

Eddie is currently changing aircraft - getting an Sbach 342

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duffer2010

Ah so frustrating looking at their website. This show could be so much more, if only a bit of thinking and proper advance planning was put into it. How easy following on from last years show, would it have been to contact the RAF and invite the Hawk display, maybe even the BBMF. Instead we sit here a week before the 22nd and a miserable line up is stated as being confirmed. Ah it's all been said before. Whomever appointed the current organisers of this, should realise how much more revenue they could bring in to the local area, if they got someone who had the ability to attract interesting acts to this airshow(without breaking the bank).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭davetherave

The problem is that you've got Rhyll Air Show in Wales on Sunday and Sunderland Air Show on Saturday and Sunday.

Between the two of them they seem to have everything wrapped up.
    The memorial flight, the RN Black Cat heli display team, Tornados, Typhoons.

Surely this is the time to be getting in touch with people for next year.

Or as the Air Spectacular's of years gone did. Send an invite out to our European neighbours. Even to get something like an MB326 or Alpha jet would add a much needed boost to the lineup.

I dont think any invites are going out from what i am hearing!!

Maybe the organiser should stick to flying for EI as airshows aint for him:)

Even if they cant get military acts whats stopping them getting the likes of the vampire or other civilian jets on the U.K register for example the cancelled Hunter. What about the breitling wing walkers the Swip team or even the Trig team. Sunderland usually gets the majority of the RAF stuff but you wont know till you ask ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

Even if they cant get military acts whats stopping them getting the likes of the vampire or other civilian jets on the U.K register for example the cancelled Hunter. What about the breitling wing walkers the Swip team or even the Trig team. Sunderland usually gets the majority of the RAF stuff but you wont know till you ask ?

In one word.... Money....
    All the acts you mention cost money to attend a show and I cant see Bray having a big budget for that.....

Yea for a free show like this, they should be looking at a few military acts to pad out the line up. I'm resigned to thinking the Bray Air Display is merely a side show to the Bray Summerfest.

WestDub,

It's only the big teams like Red Arrows that would cost money.
    RAF Hawk, Typhoon & Tornado is minimal as its just Insurance of a couple of hundred quid.
    The 1st show in 2005 had the Dutch Air Force....different organisers though and that was not attached to summerfest as it was run as a stand alone show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

Really?? heres part of the report of Clacton's 2011 show which is also a free seaside show,
    2011/12 Estimate
    2011/12 Amount

Direct Costs

Income

Net Subsidy/Surplus

Key Issues

§1 This financial overview does not include the cost of internal recharges, which is estimated to be £44,730. This covers the internal staffing and a proportion of other central overheads.
    §2 The saving of £13,507 compared with the budget estimate was largely due to the Red Arrows being unable to perform at this year’s show; this would have amounted to an additional £16,000 in costs.
    §3 The cost of the flight display accounts for 31% (£20,000) of total direct expenditure
    §4 Trade Stand income accounts for over 72% (£46,000) of all income generated.
    So it cost them £20,000 for just the display's which were mostly RAF...
    Thursday 25th August:

14:00 - 15:00.

Sea King SaR
    Tutor
    Tucano
    Gerald Cooper

15:00 - 16:00
    Spitfire (Hanger 11)
    Breitling Wingwalker (solo display)
    RAF Falcons

Friday 26th August

13:00 - 13:45

Sea King SaR

13:45 - 14:30
    BBMF (L, S, D)
    RAF Falcons
    Tutor
    Tucano

14:30 - 15:00
    Hawk
    Gerald Cooper
    breitling Wingwalker (solo display)

WestDub,

The only real cost there is wingwalkers & spitfire. The BBMF cost may total 2 or 3 k but all else is insurance buy in to RAF which is minimal ( Hawk is about 300 quid )

You can be sure organisers / display Director fees are part of that 20k also.

Hotel room. meals, car hire etc can cost also

Duffer2010 wrote: »
    Yea for a free show like this, they should be looking at a few military acts to pad out the line up. I'm resigned to thinking the Bray Air Display is merely a side show to the Bray Summerfest.
    that is EXACTLY what it is......cant wait to see the lidil bag doing a fly by.wasnt going to go but seeing as they went all out to get that bag i have changed my mind,and as for the static glider...that will be the highlight of my day...really looking forward to it now NOT!!!:D

• Advertisement

westdub wrote: »
    In one word.... Money....
    All the acts you mention cost money to attend a show and I cant see Bray having a big budget for that.....
    you are right,its all about the money but with the amount the town takes in during this show [and all year around seeing as its a carnival type of town with the arcades and what not] surley they can putt aside a few quid for the next years show and as has been mentioned why not get the airlines to spnsor it and contribute to it.also si pardy is a part owner of simtech flight trainging which is worth a hell of a lot of money so dont see why they cant sponsor it,after all,they take out pages in the programe booklet every year

bejasis123 wrote: »
    looks boring this year. i have a remote control plane that can loop. i might bring it to make the day interesting... :-)
    i might bring my pc-9 rc model in the raaf roulettes scheme along,maybe we can make it intresting:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭Storm 10

5 pictures of the Blades on their list of participants to make the display line up look good, who are they trying to kid. Traffic restrictions from 12 noon to 7pm, with the small disply line up it will be over in less than an hour

Storm 10 wrote: »
    5 pictures of the Blades on their list of participants to make the display line up look good, who are they trying to kid. Traffic restrictions from 12 noon to 7pm, with the small disply line up it will be over in less than an hour

The 7 hour traffic restriction is probably for the banner towing that passes over every half hour... Haha

Really disappointed with the line up, could do better myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Jesus Nut

The Fly In at Clonbullogue this weekend sounded way more exciting than Brays Air Show!

Be better of getting every one to just go to dublin airport for the day and join the spotters. Would see more anyways

• Advertisement
Advertisement