Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accents

• 27-01-2012 8:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭

It's time for a confession.
    I can't do accents.
    I try and try and try but they all come out just sounding slightly Indian.

I have friends who can do amazing Glasgow ("Ooh ma gawd, look at your sexy bordy") and 'Wesht' ("sure ye can't be doing that now, lads") accents, and I'm bloody jealous of them.

Can you do accents? If you can, can you do many - or do you have a 'party piece' one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

I can do an Irish accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

I can take off Enda kenny really well but I'm not going to do it again in case I get punched in the face!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

brummytom wrote: »
    I can't do accents.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

I can't do accents.

I have friends who can do amazing Glasgow ("Ooh ma gawd, look at your sexy bordy") and 'Wesht' ("sure ye can't be doing that now, lads") accents, and I'm bloody jealous of them.

Can you do accents? If you can, can you do many - or do you have a 'party piece' one?

Can you do this accent?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqdZOGEU1qw&t=7m36s

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Deadly buzz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I can do a few accents, but mostly only the broad obvious ones, or the ones that I've been most exposed to.

I did five accents in that sentence alone. Can you spot them all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭acidskiffle

Quite good at most accents but could never nail a South African accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I can do/have done your ma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Sore finger?

Chinese guy in a chinese take-away.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I am pretty good at doing accents :D

Liverpudlian and Scottish are a speciality of mine.. but I can pretty much take any accent off..

I should have been an actress :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Australian..............................................................mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Sure, check this sh!t out.

á....à... etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I can do a variety of English and American accents to a convincing standard. I'm incapable of doing Aussie Kiwi or SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Yes I can do accents well.

I'm fortunate to have family pretty much all around the UK and Ireland, combined with my own accent being a hybrid from being from two different areas, I usually can end up impersonating a local accent pretty well. I also realise I can pick up where somebody is from due to their accent pretty accurately. Living over in England it's surprising the amount of people often confuse Scottish with Irish for example.

My American accent is shocking but most accents from the UK and Ireland I feel I can do competently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Saath Efrika.
    De kaffinated
    Class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sindri wrote: »
    Australian..............................................................mate.

they dont say Australia though they say Straya, is it cos the weathers so warm and you waste energy pronouncing things fully?

I can do a few, working in a call centre means I hear loads every day (Donegal, shudder). I cant take anyone shouting at me with a Cork, sorry, Cark acccent seriously though bai. Limerick scumbag is an entity in itself of an accent. you just say entire sentences as one word and let the last one trail off juknowwhatimeanliiiikeee, cuz?

Saath Efrika.
    De kaffinated
    Class

ha, I used to work with a SA guy and the way he pronounced black as blick never failed to crack me up " its a blick nokia!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I can do a few, but not if I'm put on the spot!

I listen to Biffy Clyro so I can sing in a Scottish accent (You have to, or the lyrics won't fit :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I'm great at accents.

Irish: Thirty three and a third.
    Welsh: Jones passes to Williams.
    English: One is not amused.
    Scottish: I want my baby back, baby back, baby back ribs.
    Australian: Good day mate.
    French: Frère Jacques, Frère Jacques Dormez-vous? Dormez-vous?
    German: Heil Hitler

TheZohan wrote: »
    I'm great at accents.

Irish: Thirty three and a third.
    Welsh: Jones passes to Williams.
    English: One is not amused.
    Scottish: I want my baby back, baby back, baby back ribs.
    Australian: Good day mate.
    French: Frère Jacques, Frère Jacques Dormez-vous? Dormez-vous?
    German: Heil Hitler

its turty tree and turd, ffs get it right, the more west in ireland you are the less you have the need to prounounce "th" in anything, sorry, ting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I can do American(think of Deep South), nordie accent and a London or pushed when drunk a Mancunian accent. I've fooled quite a few Americans even when I visited Nasa before, just the accent comes naturally to me :)

I've attempted hundreds of times the Scottish accent but miserably failed though I can do a sort of bogger Mayo accent somehow, must be picking it up from too many culchies in work ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

krudler wrote: »
    its turty tree and turd, ffs get it right,

That's what I said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

After watching Yankee TV for the last 50 years and seeing as their accent is derived from a mixture of ours anyway I think most people can make a stab at an American accent. And Scouse is just an extreme form of the Dublin accent. Alright calm down, calm down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Got a taxi in Dublin and the driver asked where I was from, I didn't seem Irish

:confused:

Biggest bogger accent going, maybe this man needs to see a bit more of Ireland

So not only can't I do accents, Irish people mistake me for a foreigner when I speak normally, wtf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

After watching Yankee TV for the last 50 years and seeing as their accent is derived from a mixture of ours anyway I think most people can make a stab at an American accent. And Scouse is just an extreme form of the Dublin accent. Alright calm down, calm down.

Since I started to watch a lot foreign stuff on bbc4, I've found that I can speak sub-titles like a native.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

Why aye man. Why aye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Why aye man. Why aye.

Needs a bit of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

Why aye man. Why aye.

Canny fettle!

I learnt the Geordie accent by watching Our Friends in the North and the arts series Shooting Stars.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

If I hear a voice I can imitate it. Except the Tallaght accent, that just sounds retarded.

And no, I'm not a parrot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I can't do accents.

No not really. Though I've found the people around here have their own kinda of dialect and sayings. I'm not from the place, but it doesn't go unnoticed. They fancy themselves as smart arse people, and their accent quickly 'smartens' up when I talk to them. When they realise I'm not from the area they go on the defensive. Ridiculous small town mentality. They have an insatiable craving for information about you too.

I think I can do a Scot accent, anything other than that and I'd be making an eejit out of myself. But sure, whats the point anyway :p

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

Oldham accent, T'other day I took buzz up town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I'm pretty good at doing accents actually, although I hate when people ask me to do it because then I get all embarrassed and can't do them :p But off the cuff, yep.

My mum is amazing at impersonating people, it's so funny when she does it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

Quite good at most accents but could never nail a South African accent.
    Fooooookin prawwwwns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

I am good at picking up & doing different accents - i would come home from visiting family in Liverpool at 7 or 8 yrs with a scouse accent, neighbours would pass comment on it but was unaware i was speaking differently.
    My accent is weird- i and it changes depending on who i am talking to- (eg. my 'phone voice') i don't do it on purpose and its not a 'pretentious' accent i have, i moved area a lot between 18-30.
    Used to be able to do most accents - esp south england like somerset , or glaswegian, i guess i can still do them in 'me head'. Love the South African accent, New Zealand too.

Advertisement