Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ard Tí Chuain lyrics

Options
  • 27-01-2012 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

I'm looking to find the irish lyrics to this song. I can find the english translation as translated by Joan O'Hara.

I've had a look in the traditional music archives online and as of yet no result.

Thanks

Kathleen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭KathleenMcCabe

I have managed to get the irish lyrics so will post here for anyone who might want them...

I got them from a gentleman who used to work in a printers about 40 years ago and one of the jobs in his apprentiships was to print a load of songs on a record sleeve and as it turns out, Ard Tí Chuain was one of those songs.

Dá mbeinn féin in Ard Tí Chuain
    In aice an tsléibhe úd atá i bhad uaim
    B'annamh líom gan dul ar cuairt
    Go Gleann na gCuach De Domhnaigh.

Agus och, och Éire uilig is ó
    Éire lionndubh is ó
    Is é mo chori atá trom agus brónach.

Is ioma Nollaig a bhí mé féin
    Imbun Abhainn Duinne is mé gan chéill
    Ag iomáin ar an trá bhán
    Is mo chamán bán i mo dhorn liom.

Mura mbéadh agam féin ach coit is rámh'
    Le go n-iomrainn leis an snámh
    A' dúil as Dia go sroichfinn slán
    Is go bhfaighinn se bás in Éirinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

The trouble with that song is that you need a voice to sing it. Heard a guy sing it one night to a silent audience when a phone rang. It was the singers phone so he answered it and continued singing. Brilliant performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭KathleenMcCabe

It's a beautiful song. I think it's very important to keep the irish songs going and also nice to have a few within a good trad session.

Advertisement